PDA

View Full Version : Alternative soundtracks for playing - what works and what doesn't

Jennie-5128
08-22-2016, 01:33 PM
So I get bored very quickly listening to the same song over and over; this has led me to turn the music off on the game after playing through each new level a couple of times and have a different soundtrack on. Obviously my Maiden playlist has heavy rotation when I'm playing this game, but I need variety, so I regularly listen to other stuff as well.

Today I had my "classic rock" spotify playlist on.
What works: Out in the Fields by Gary Moore is great for farming battlefield madness
What doesn't work: My Melancholy Blues by Queen is not great for this game at all

;)

I'm curious if this is something other people do too?

Nekroliun
08-22-2016, 01:42 PM
I usually remove the songs and put my top 50 songs playlist on shuffle and whatever it plays i listen to, even if it is wings of destiny which sometimes gets me sleepy, great way to change the mood though, or i sometimes start the first song on the list which i think is hallowed be thy name, till i reach the end which is i think live and learn by crush 40

Bryan-3528
08-22-2016, 01:50 PM
What doesn't work: My Melancholy Blues by Queen is not great for this game at all

HAHA I love that song, along with anything by Queen. But I can see where that would not put you in the mood to watch Eddie bash heads with his opponents.

Unfortunately I mostly play when it's slow at work and therefore don't have the option to listen to anything at all.

But speaking of Queen, I bet the album Sheer Heart Attack would have some good tracks for playing this game. Brighton Rock, Now I'm Here and Stone Cold Crazy come to mind. And the song Sheer Heart Attack from News of the World album would rock out too :)

Jennie-5128
08-22-2016, 02:19 PM
HAHA I love that song, along with anything by Queen. But I can see where that would not put you in the mood to watch Eddie bash heads with his opponents.

But speaking of Queen, I bet the album Sheer Heart Attack would have some good tracks for playing this game. Brighton Rock, Now I'm Here and Stone Cold Crazy come to mind. And the song Sheer Heart Attack from News of the World album would rock out too :)

Yes to all of those - Sheer Heart Attack was the first album I bought with my own money, on cassette from the local market. I played it till the tape literally wore through...

Now playing: Bruce's solo opus The King in Crimson. I think that'd work well on Ailing Kingdom levels

Nekro: my Top Songs Ever playlist on spotify is almost 500 songs, and goes from Five Finger Death Punch to Tom Lehrer, and I have 59 other playlists. I don't think I could pick a top 50 - but to be fair if I did Hallowed Be Thy Name would almost certainly be in there :)

ETA: Ha! Over and Over by Hot Chip just came on

"Over and over and over and over and over,
Like a monkey with a miniature cymbal,
The joy of repetition really is in you..."

Excellent song for the daily grind... ;)

Bryan-3528
08-22-2016, 02:58 PM
Sheer Heart Attack was the first album I bought with my own money, on cassette from the local market. I played it till the tape literally wore through...

100% irrefutable proof that Jennie is cooler than me.

my first album (also on cassette) that I bought with my own money was the soundtrack to the original Ghostbusters movie.

I can't believe I just admitted to that.

:rolleyes:

Jennie-5128
08-22-2016, 03:41 PM
Awwwwww bless! Bryan that's so sweet!

I was 7 when I bought Sheer Heart Attack - my older brother had given me a Sony Walkman for my 7th birthday & my (slightly less well off) other brother got me The Works & a MASSIVE poster of Freddie Mercury. I was a tiny Queen fan :)

Not much later my cousin did me a tape that had Iron Maiden on one side & Powerslave on the other :)

So when my Godmother bought me a Jason Donovan album a couple of years later I was REALLY glad she included the reciept in case he wasn't to my taste. THAT got swapped for the Seventh Son picture disc, which is still one of my fave things in my record collection :)

Bryan-3528
08-22-2016, 05:09 PM
ahhh yes, the sony walkman--talk about bringing back fond memories.

In 1986 i spent half school year with my sony walkman in my inside jean jacket pocket and the ear phone run up my sleave so i could lean onto my hand over my ear and listen to Bon Jovi Slippery when wet (the 2nd cassette I bought with my own money) while in class, and not have the teacher notice what i was doing. ;)

Then a classmate lent me a copy of Somewhere in Time...and the rest as they say is history.

BillLion
08-22-2016, 07:42 PM
Ha! My 1st 7" was "Iron Man" by Sabbath and my 1st 3 cassettes (can't remember the order) were "Don't Say No" by Bill Squire, "Cargo" by Men at Work and Queen's Greatest Hits. :)

Jennie-5128
08-22-2016, 09:05 PM
My first 7" was poison by Alice Cooper, but I had a fair collection of cassettes & albums on 12" by then ;)

BillLion
08-22-2016, 11:30 PM
My first 7" was poison by Alice Cooper, but I had a fair collection of cassettes & albums on 12" by then ;)

Poison is a great song! BTW: Bring it back to Maiden -Cooper was still fantastic at his age when he opened for Maiden on their 7th Son history tour a few years ago!!

Gonzo
08-22-2016, 11:54 PM
I love how posts evolve in this forum :P

My first ever album that I bought was a Special Edition of Kind of Blue by Miles Davies... Yeah! I'm that kind of guy :P

But I already had every maiden vinyl up to that date... I think I said this somewhere else, but I inherited a HUGE music collection from my godfather. That game me some room to play LOL

BillLion
08-23-2016, 12:11 AM
I love how posts evolve in this forum :P

My first ever album that I bought was a Special Edition of Kind of Blue by Miles Davies... Yeah! I'm that kind of guy :P

But I already had every maiden vinyl up to that date... I think I said this somewhere else, but I inherited a HUGE music collection from my godfather. That game me some room to play LOL

That's really cool. By the way, that is an AMAZING Miles album.

Olevipoeg
08-23-2016, 10:26 AM
I'm discovering newer Iron Maidens albums right now. I even like Dance of death. But if you are going to dark side and are listening something else than IM then I suggest Manowar "Triumph of Steel" album.

Bryan-3528
08-23-2016, 12:46 PM

I'm that kind of guy too Gonzo...I have and love that album too!

For Jazz I also love Jimmy Smith, John Coltrane, Gene Ammons and Stanley Turrentino.

Jennie-5128
08-23-2016, 02:12 PM
I'm an Ella Fitzgerald/Nina Simon kind of girl when it comes to that sort of thing. Although Django Reinhardt is pretty good too.

Olevipoeg: Sleipnir is my fave Manowar song :)

The Educated fool
08-23-2016, 06:41 PM
I used to like A Worm's Life by Crash Test Dummies for grinding in Final Fantasy VI (NA-3) in the long, long ago... I imagine it would work just as well for this. :cool:

BillLion
08-23-2016, 08:54 PM
Ha, I love many classic metal bands, but Manowar just doesn't do it for me. Maybe the animal pelts? Different strokes...

Jennie-5128
08-23-2016, 10:05 PM
You gotta read lots of Thor then manowar works ;)

The only crash test dummies I know is Hmm Hmm Hmm or however many Hmms it has

Gonzo
08-23-2016, 11:06 PM
I learnt that us, "metal heads", have a more varied taste when it comes to liking or accepting other music genres than for ex someone who like Pop or HipHop.

I've always said that if someone likes music, he will always enjoy metal, because there's no other genre that takes every instrument to it's full potential.

Jazz also does that, but in a more "chaotical" way, and that's why I enjoy it so much.

F*** Justin Bieber.

Jennie-5128
08-24-2016, 01:30 AM
Awwww man, do I have to?
He's really not my type.

OpticSugar
08-24-2016, 03:06 PM
I just heard Bjork "Army of Me" while in the Time Rift Dungeon, and it worked really well... both thematically and instrumentally

The Educated fool
08-24-2016, 04:55 PM
Awwww man, do I have to?
He's really not my type.

*rim shot* :cool:

The only crash test dummies I know is Hmm Hmm Hmm or however many Hmms it has

That's definitely their 15 minutes of fame, for sure. I like A Worm's Life better though... it was the last album of theirs worth having, imho.

PsychoEddie
09-19-2016, 03:20 AM
So I get bored very quickly listening to the same song over and over; this has led me to turn the music off on the game after playing through each new level a couple of times and have a different soundtrack on. Obviously my Maiden playlist has heavy rotation when I'm playing this game, but I need variety, so I regularly listen to other stuff as well.

Today I had my "classic rock" spotify playlist on.
What works: Out in the Fields by Gary Moore is great for farming battlefield madness

;)

I'm curious if this is something other people do too?
I have my own Maiden playlist I play as well as some other bands I put in...for instance, TONIGHT I'm playing this album and it's fantastic w/game..my neighbor just went to see this concert...I didn't even know he was going until we started talking about android games and I mentioned this one...turns out he's a rabid metal fan who travels far to concerts and was totally unaware of this game, he was able to name the albums/songs eddies I showed him in this game came from, so thanks LOTB for this too :)