PDA

View Full Version : Last Plea

Mariner-1212
05-21-2018, 01:54 PM
Dear NF;

This game was incredible when I started playing, because I got to play as Eddie. What a perfect embodiment of the music we love and grew up on, all wrapped neatly into a game that was actually a lot of fun to play. I got my PDK and finally a 5* Ed - Shaman. And they carried me through most of the campaign as I explored the 'story' based on the music.

Then came the Immortal Event. The famous one, not this new one. I landed 5 Eddies (3 new) and it was thrilling. I spent plenty of real money after that - and that was because I was thankful for getting them, and I was happy with the game so why not pay to keep a good thing going? That was my thinking, at least. A happy player spends money. That event may have been seen by you guys as 'giving away too much' but it was that giving that made me want to give. It made me invest in the game, emotionally and financially.

Maybe that event was a mistake in your eyes, but I can guarantee it was responsible for a lot of your business, and the reason so many people stuck around for so long. It's that aspect - the resilience it built in your player base - that you may not see on paper, but it shouldn't be discounted. With this latest event, it seems like that aspect was sorely overlooked. And you're not the first to do it - companies do it all the time. They forget that you need to put your players first when you want them to stick around. They go in thinking "What can we do to make them spend more" instead of thinking "A player that plans to play for another year is more likely to invest in the game." When you're in a meeting and you guys are saying "But if we give them too much they'll lose interest" - that's wrong. When you reward your players, you get a happy player base that is more willing to deal with the bugs, and the delays in new content. I know this, because after last year's Immortal event you guys could do no wrong in my eyes for months. I bought that Anniversary soul - like many people - and I wasn't even bothered when I got a dupe with it. And I know this because all of the guys that are planning to leave would have never thought of it this time last year. The future was bright at the time.

Somehow, that notion got lost and became a chase for the whales. And I get that the whales dropping hundreds are where the profit is at. But you're forgetting the key to all of it - player happiness. Constantly pissing off your player base does not open wallets, even for those chasing down that last Eddie. They've gotten wise to RNG, from one too many 10-packs of event souls that dropped nothing but 3* aggravation. There is now a constant sense of disappointment which is the exact opposite of what you want when building a game.

This is what you want. You want a happy player base that is excited to open the game each day. You want players to be craving more, but out of resources - not gambling away on the RNG slot machine, getting frustrated and cursing your name. You want players to have a brotherhood that they feel connected to and don't want to let down (guilds) - one that works together, not one that discusses why they're still around and debates hitting send on that "Going Casual" post. You want players that champion your game... like we did after last year's proper Immortal event.

The answer is simple - put your players first. When you put out a statement that says "maybe even better" we naturally think that means it might be better for US, the PLAYERS. That's what it should be. We should have had the same exact drop rates as last year. Better would mean the additional 500 achievement like you did. But you didn't put your players first. It's clear with every slap in the face like this.

Will you get it right before we're all gone?

blade685
05-21-2018, 02:23 PM
they don't understand anything, perhaps when all players will leave but it will be to late.
No reflection in that company, a disaster for the game

Patrice-1201
05-21-2018, 02:30 PM
Thx Mariner look like we had the same feelings at the same time...

JustAFruit
05-21-2018, 03:07 PM
This is the case of, the devs don’t care about the players only the money. They must have taken a page from EA 😂

Askora
05-21-2018, 03:20 PM
Well said Mariner. I downloaded MSF last night and trying it out as I was just so disgusted with the immortal event. Dupe Eddie from the challenge awards and no desire to spend the ironite for another 300 battles to get enough frags for a second dupe. Only one Eddie I need from the list, so odds are too poor.

The big question for at least a few of us now, is about the extreme difficulty event. Will it be the long awaited Guantlet? I'm sure that's what most are hoping for. Or, will it be stupid challenges in BNW that force us to grind with sub-optimum teams. I'm sure that will go over quite well with a player base that is already feeling burned by the Blight of the Immortal event.

Yup
05-21-2018, 03:30 PM
It has not dawned on NF yet that they need to make characters easy to achieve, then run events for power ups (relics, iron coins, frontier coins, skill shards, evo stones/runes, etc). Characters keep players satisfied... power ups keep them invested and spending.

More people would spend $5 for a talisman pack, or 10 skill shards, for a new Eddie, if they actually GOT the new Eddie after 100 fragments. Fewer people are going to spend $49 or $99 to acquire a new Eddie which may be generally less useful (Ed the Great, Hallowed Ed, Mystic Ed, etc.). There's no way of any player knowing a new character is worthwhile until someone has it or they have it. So NF is asking players to invest based upon speculation. That's just a bad business model.

rags-6094
05-21-2018, 03:35 PM
Perfectly said...

kkkreg5
05-21-2018, 03:39 PM
The silence from the devs is deafening. They haven't logged onto the forum since Saturday. No sign of them this morning either.

My fear is the "extreme difficulty" event WILL evolve BNW as a way for players to again burn resources for Hero souls possibly. I think those that are hoping for Gauntlet will be disappointed. Has it even gone to beta yet?

OdoyleRules
05-21-2018, 03:50 PM
The silence from the devs is deafening. They haven't logged onto the forum since Saturday. No sign of them this morning either.

My fear is the "extreme difficulty" event WILL evolve BNW as a way for players to again burn resources for Hero souls possibly. I think those that are hoping for Gauntlet will be disappointed. Has it even gone to beta yet?

Today is Victoria Day in Canada. The TSX stock martket is closed so I don't know how much this will effect the staff in Vancouver.

Yup
05-21-2018, 04:05 PM
I think those that are hoping for Gauntlet will be disappointed. Has it even gone to beta yet?

From what I saw of that leak last week. It was decent.. more like PvP with better rewards and less monotony. But it was clearly unfinished then... so....

GotN
05-21-2018, 07:09 PM
Great post Mariner! Thank you very much for that! I’m 100 % of your opinion! And I’m also one of those from-day-one-daily and also MONEY SPENDING- players who can’t and won’t take all this any more! NF really has to think about this very good, before it’s too late and they loose many of us. I’ve already set my dead-line. We’re close to 2nd anniversary...

JJJ428
05-21-2018, 07:35 PM
Its quite disheartening we have heard nothing now about this event or the fact servers were down most of the weekend. Usually when there is this much negativity they try to at least give some reason for their decision.

zamasu
05-21-2018, 07:44 PM
Sadly,

They are more focused on the 90% of players (those new players who download the game, play it for a few months, spend $20 on it and then stop playing) than that 10% that is us that sticks around for the long run. everything they do is focused on those 90% and they don't care about us, they already sucked most of what we are willing to spend on the game.

Yup
05-21-2018, 08:13 PM
Its quite disheartening we have heard nothing now about this event or the fact servers were down most of the weekend. Usually when there is this much negativity they try to at least give some reason for their decision.

Well, I'd need a stiff drink and some other relaxers before walking into this hornet's nest :) And I sure as hell wouldn't do it on my off time :)

The event sucked. Hyperbole about it abounded. But it's not like they are going to rerun it next week to make up for it. Haven't we all learned at least that much?

kkkreg5
05-21-2018, 08:16 PM
Today is Victoria Day in Canada. The TSX stock martket is closed so I don't know how much this will effect the staff in Vancouver.

So pretty safe to say they will not be addressing server errors or extending the event... how would they feel if we all took a day or two off from playing...

JJJ428
05-21-2018, 08:24 PM
A day or two, I am thinking a bit more extended break then that for a lot of people after this latest fiasco. It really is going to take a lot of us leaving for them to notice not just say it on here but they look at metrics and unless those metrics go down I doubt they will care.

Crazypants
05-21-2018, 08:55 PM
Well said Mariner, my thoughts exactly. This recent event was such a letdown. Bought a store ironite pack and blew through it all just for a dupe. First time I spent money on this game since the clairvoyant eddie souls last summer. Guess I needed a reminder why I stopped spending money on this game. Oh well back to spending all my spare change on records.

Saigrim
05-21-2018, 10:47 PM
Well said, Mariner!

I’ve made this statement more than once over the past year, just not as in depth. This latest “Greed of the Immortal “ event was a real moral buster for the game. I’ll probably keep at it a bit longer, but I’m running on fumes at this moment.

Lord-7618
05-22-2018, 10:26 AM
I play the game since the very first day, but a lately member of the forum because English is not my native tongue (even though I always red it). Anyway, Iīll try to share my thoughts with you all.
I totally agree with Mariner and with Patrice (thread last nail in the coffin). As a player I spent some money in the game, but only when it was worthy, and I would do it again in the future, but for a worthy package. So:

Why donīt NF offer this kind of package?. Don’t you think most of us would pay 6ī66 € for example for 600 frontier coins, 60 ironite and 6 heroic souls? Both kind of players (longtime and new ones) would love this, and surely would give cash to NF, so everyone would be happy.

Whatīs happening with the events?? Inmortal really sucked, and I’m not going to spend a single ironite in cleanse the corruption. Or in getting new unuseful toons. Where are the past and worthy enjoyable events?

What about the new playable content? The tour will begin in 4 days, the best moment to update the game and give us something new (please, better than BNW). At least new missions, or another way to get frontier coins or fragments of inmortal/soldier souls.

Not everything is bad. I love the autoplay. I don’t regret about RNG (although it could be better) or about long term goals (like Alexander Eddie). For me it keeps me interested in the game, and the joy of getting a longtime desired toon is still here.

I know that Iīm not saying anything new, but I never shared my thoughts. Just a reflection to end this long post:
Bruce says in his conferences that what make Maiden huge are the fans, and from a business point of view fans are clients. And clients are loyal when they donīt feel cheated, when they receive something worthy. Iīve been a Maiden fan for 30 years, and I’ll be until death. Most of longtime players are adult people, with families, and with money to spend in something (again the key word) worthy. Are you, NF, sure that new/eventual players are like us? In this days, when everything is consumed in very little time, just to consume another thing, do you thing that your market is in players that will get tired in a couple of months, maybe spending a few €? I really hope that you think seriously about this, cause Iīm afraid that LOTB has a fatal wound, and I donīt wanna leave the game. Yet...

hold
05-22-2018, 10:51 AM
Not everything is bad. I love the autoplay.

The feeling most people felt when Autoplay was introduced was neither excitement nor joy I dare to say. It was RELIEF and that's not really speaking for the game mechanics itself.

The chores are not less a chore but at least you can do them unattended - well - if the servers would be stable.

The slot machine is stale for months and months and months and the only creativity in regards of something "new" is:

- Do X for Y (but do it over and over and over again and after that over and over again)
- Do X PvP battles for bla (over and over and ...)
- Grind for frustration and dupes

and this for month after month after month ...

New content is months away!
Gauntlet is months away!

Here is a suggestion to NF (that are reading this thread): Have a sit down with your team that only looks for the revenue numbers and discuss with them the definition of fun. Ask them if this is fun in their eyes:

- grinding grinding grinding grinding -> frustration (and server errors)
- rinse and repeat

Would they do it? Would you do it? No? Good answer ... now go back to the drawing board and on the very top you write FUN -> start from there please.

Lord-7618
05-22-2018, 11:01 AM
now go back to the drawing board and on the very top you write FUN -> start from there please.

Another key word: FUN. Totally agree

Biscuitasylum
05-26-2018, 02:15 PM
Another excellent post.

All these complaints are excellent.

I have the same complaints.

I refuse to pay real world money anymore for the same crap over and over.

Ian
05-26-2018, 02:25 PM
Absolutely agree.

edsel
05-26-2018, 05:15 PM
The band had a great novel idea making this game. No Metallica or Slayer videogames out there. Iron Maiden invested into their fan base and reputation, surely do not want a failure and bad name? Spend the money to make the servers not crash. Hire more programmers and artists. One night of Legacy of the Beast tour t-shirt sales could save this?

We love playing and the ones that left would probably return if our wish for fresh content and functioning hardware happened. We do not want more useless haunted gnomes or a 1% chance for 3 days to get something good from event souls but end up only with 3 star crap and feeling ripped off.

Mariner is right, happy players spend cash. If it is all about profits for you at NF, make your players and the band happy, get fresh content and working servers.

Yup
05-26-2018, 06:25 PM
ernnn.. Slayer Pinball..... but it's not their game.. just brand licensing.

Crazypants
05-27-2018, 12:37 PM
The band had a great novel idea making this game.

Cross out the band and replace with Rod Smallwood.