PDA

View Full Version : Damage inc.

Zugzwang
07-21-2018, 11:13 AM
Dear sirs,

I come to you with a question that I’ve been pondering for some time now. It is about damage types and stats. If a character only deals say, magic damage, will leaving their “attack” stat alone and not raised by talismans have any negative affect? Or the opposite — if a character does physical damage only, is leaving their magic stat unboosted a good idea?

How is true damage different from a character who deals both physical AND magic damage or random damage? How do you know how to adjust or boost the stats? Isn’t true damage shown as white numbers rather than blue for magic or red for physical? Are we SURE true damage is magic and physical damage combined or could it be a source of damage that is only boosted on a per character basis where it states what it scales on?

I’ve always wanted clarification on this and when I looked in the FAQ (a long time ago I admit) I didn’t see anything that answered these questions.

Baba-8301
07-21-2018, 12:20 PM
Physical damage is boosted by attack, and reduced by the opponents defence and any shields reducing either physical or all damage. It shows as red damage text.

Magical damage is boosted by magic, and reduced by the opponents magic resistance and any shields reducing either magical or all damage. It shows as blue damage text.

True damage is boosted by both attack and magic, and reduced by shields reducing either true or all damage. True damage is not reduced by defence or magic resistance. It shows as white damage text.

Attacks doing physical and magical damage strike twice, once physical and once magical.

Attacks doing random damage will pick one of true, physical or magical. You can tell which it has picked for a given attack when you see the colour of the damage text, but not before.

Tim28213
07-21-2018, 05:24 PM
So for true damage is it better to pick either magic or attack and max out that skill given the shards you use, or is it better to balance out and have some of both?
I've always questioned whether true damage benefits more from all of one or some of both?

TheAlbatross-1864
07-21-2018, 06:45 PM
So for true damage is it better to pick either magic or attack and max out that skill given the shards you use, or is it better to balance out and have some of both?
I've always questioned whether true damage benefits more from all of one or some of both?

Personally I try to make a balance of both stats. But to be truthful I never tested to see if making one stat higher gave more damage overall

Zugzwang
07-21-2018, 07:59 PM
So to recap what I’m getting from this information (thank you by the way) is that if a character deals only Physical damage, in theory you should boost all other stats with talisman sets and types while leaving the magic stat at its base since it’s not necessary to have that stat at all in the case of a physical damage only character with the same being the case for magic damage.

Is this correct? Is there ANY benefit to boosting the magic stat on a toon that only deal physical damage? Of course defense and magic resistance are something all toons would need but I’ve always wondered why there is even a stat for magic with a physical damage only character. Seems to add to the misuse of the already complex talisman system which I did for over a year until I bothered to look at what the different names like Overwhelming, Fierce, skilled etc meant lol.

Askora
07-21-2018, 08:44 PM
Correct. Boosting magic on a pure physical damager will have no benefit (unless one of their skills states otherwise). And ATK gives no benefit to pure magic damagers.

All characters have all stats because the game is set up as an rpg game. That's pretty typical of the genre.

Most true damage toons that use both ATK and magic for damage shouldn't make a difference whether the numbers are balanced or not. If the combined value of the two is the same, damage should be the same. They usually work best with assassin talismans since they increase both magic and damage and thus give a greater increase.

TheAlbatross-1864
07-21-2018, 09:11 PM
The one exception is listed in some skills is that damage will scale with stats that are not attack or magic. For example Cyborg Eddie’s attacks scake with the special stat, and is listed in the skill “damage scales with special “. So for a character like that you would want to boost their special stat. fear of the dark eddie’s damage scales with defense so you would not want to choose talismans that boost MR instead of defense if you are trying to increase damage output, unless it was one that boosted both MR and defense

Zugzwang
07-21-2018, 11:10 PM
Thanks for clarifying that. I knew some damage scaled with different stats for certain characters but wasn’t sure if that was in addition to the basic physical or magic stat.

What would be great is if the community could just go ahead and calculate every single modifier for every single toon (unbuffed) by testing their arena defense teams (unbuffed) and get back to us with the exact calculations so we can clearly see which characters are strongest.

I’m kidding of course. The talismans are what make this game so deep. There are so many “correct” ways to buff a toon. It’s really mind boggling. My issue it that some toons (mostly older ones) are inately weaker than newer ones because regardless of buffs, the newer character’s base stats are higher and their attacks are more versatile. I’m not saying I want more parity, I just want to know maybe the current top 20 most valuable toons (not including Eddies) for gameplay in both PVP and PVE. I’m no longer interested in collecting one of each toon except for the Eddies.

Have I derailed the thread? Has this been discussed elsewhere?

TheAlbatross-1864
07-21-2018, 11:45 PM
Im not sure if its in addition or is the sole stat that scales damage for stats other than attack and magic. But i think its just the specified scaled stat as my Pharaoh eddie dealed much more damage after increasing health and defense on the talismans rather than just attack

Mizrael
07-22-2018, 10:09 AM
You can also just click the settings button at the top right corner in the game and go to “help” all your questions are answered there...

Zugzwang
07-22-2018, 12:28 PM
Are you trolling or not reading my questions? My questions are not as simple as what’s answered in the in-game info. Thanks anyway though!

Mizrael
07-22-2018, 09:22 PM
No, i’m not trolling.
In your original post you ask if it helps to raise an ATK based characters Magic and so on...
Those things are really explained in the help section.

one thing which is not explained in there: There used to be a dilemma about characters like FotD Eddie or Viking whose dmg scales ALSO off of another stat. me and a few other enthusiasts have tested it and proved that it’s always better to boost the primary stat first. so you would want to prioritize sets raising ATK/Magic over Def/Mr.

Zugzwang
07-22-2018, 10:12 PM
Well then I apologize for assuming you were being dismissive. That was my mistake. The insight of top level players (or “enthusiasts” as you modestly put it) is valuable and appreciated.

Futile_monkey
07-26-2018, 07:36 PM
Is this correct? Is there ANY benefit to boosting the magic stat on a toon that only deal physical damage? Of course defense and magic resistance are something all toons would need but I’ve always wondered why there is even a stat for magic with a physical damage only character. Seems to add to the misuse of the already complex talisman system which I did for over a year until I bothered to look at what the different names like Overwhelming, Fierce, skilled etc meant lol.

There are some Talisman that having a magic stat on a character who only does physical damage would be helpful. Resiliance talisman would be an example where HP is increased by 50% of Attack and Magic.

Mizrael
07-26-2018, 09:34 PM
There are some Talisman that having a magic stat on a character who only does physical damage would be helpful. Resiliance talisman would be an example where HP is increased by 50% of Attack and Magic.

Yes, but those talisman bonuses only take into account the base value of characters Atk/Magic, so there is no point raising an Physical damage dealers Magic anyway.
You would only look for a character with natural high Atk/Magic values to benefit from this set.

Futile_monkey
07-27-2018, 12:18 PM
Yes, but those talisman bonuses only take into account the base value of characters Atk/Magic, so there is no point raising an Physical damage dealers Magic anyway.
You would only look for a character with natural high Atk/Magic values to benefit from this set.

I wasn't saying there was any reason to raise them, i was merely trying to respond to his comment "but I’ve always wondered why there is even a stat for magic with a physical damage only character." These particular type of talisman are the only reason I can think for having a magic or attack stat on a character who is purely physical or magic for damage.

Mizrael
07-27-2018, 04:57 PM
I wasn't saying there was any reason to raise them, i was merely trying to respond to his comment "but I’ve always wondered why there is even a stat for magic with a physical damage only character." These particular type of talisman are the only reason I can think for having a magic or attack stat on a character who is purely physical or magic for damage.

Fair enough.