PDA

View Full Version : Dupe avoider

Knut-3112
08-27-2018, 07:58 AM
Ok, so I got this idea:

Implement some kind of special purchasable ability (like double XP) that would guarantee pulling only non-dupe characters or at least reduce the chance of pulling a dupe.
So after buying, it would be active for like 24 hours or so, and during that time, while opening any souls, the program would check if the randomly chosen char is already in the roster, if yes, it would try to pick another one. Exception would be if the player roster already had all the chars that a specific soul can grant, then it would just pick a dupe (otherwise it would be stuck in an infinite loop).
It doesn't necessarily have to be 100% chance of non-dupe pulls, it can be like 50% for example (so it fires for one soul, but doesn't fire for the next one).
Anyway, it would greatly increase the chances of pulling unique chars. The cost of the ability itself should be quite high of course.

What do you guys think?

Lord Schmeb
08-27-2018, 04:45 PM
Not gonna happen. I could write more about why not, but I have to clip my cuticles and that seems like a better use of my time.

Zugzwang
08-28-2018, 02:11 AM
Here’s a hint. If you ever get all the characters you want you’re much more likely to lose interest in the game and stop spending money on it. I’ve found I score every second new Eddie or character I go for when buying a little booklet of souls. The times I don’t I just get the same crap Toons I keep sacrificing. Seems like a pretty simple algorithm and it keeps me playing...

Knut-3112
08-28-2018, 06:33 AM
I think that you're much more likely to lose interest in the game if you constantly pull the same characters that you already have. But maybe that's just me... Anyway, since the Gauntlet arrived it may actually be beneficial if you have some good duplicates.
I can understand that the devs need money and this current system based on randomness can make people spend more in the hope of getting something new. And that's ok. But when it's overdone, it can backfire. I can already see some top players on the forum getting frustrated and it would be a shame if they quit due to that.

The details how this would be implemented are up for discussion. What I wrote above is just an example. Maybe the chances would be too high, true. But it can be changed for like 1 hour only, or maybe only for the first X souls opened. If the cost would be something like 2000 ironite per X souls then it wouldn't be cheap, some players would still like to take their chances and try to open souls normally without it. Maybe even the majority of players would, especially newer players with less toons. But for those who didn't pull anything new for the past year, they could use it and finally get something new.

I'm curious what NF would say about it. I can see the reasons why they might not like it, but I think that the idea is not as crazy as it may seem.

Another option would be to make the older characters available for Trooper Fragments (like the current 5) or Frontier Coins. It would be a long term goal, but everyone would be eventually able to get the toon they want. Characters like Breeg or Doomsday wouldn't be available right away of course, but maybe after half a year or so.

Anyway, I think that a happy player is likely to spend more than the frustrated one.

Blade
08-28-2018, 07:48 AM
Dupes are needed for sacrifice events and maybe for Gautlet (until now I try without, but have several dupes locked just in case). Also we now have so many further options to get chars like from heroic souls and fragments for Eddies via Trooper points, so a lot more options compared to earlier in the game. And if you consider 1 year as the relevant time frame, there always is the anniversary event, in my opinion the best event to get missing chars from all events. I spent some money long time ago and since then it was not needed anymore if you know how to manage with your resources.