PDA

View Full Version : The Term “Toon”

Zugzwang
08-31-2018, 04:31 PM
The word Toon to describe characters has always gotten right on my tits. I realize it probably originated from World of Warcraft or Everquest or some other mmorpg and is short for cartoon, but why do we have to abbreviate everything? Should we refer to Eddie and his allies by this? Shouldn’t Maiden’s game have a unique word if there has to be an abbreviation for the super long and difficult to type “character”? I think it should. No need to use an old word that’s been beaten into the ground just because it’s easy.

Any ideas?

—give me Ed ‘til I’m dead.

Ubajoa
08-31-2018, 04:39 PM
Hey, Theres a ton of reasons to complaint about this game and/or community but this is the less meaningful I've ever read. Im sorry if I was disrespectful, Im not trying to be one. It is just something that doesn't affect anything or anyone.

Yup
08-31-2018, 04:50 PM
Seriously???

druid138
08-31-2018, 05:28 PM
I'm with you, Watchful Prism. I hate the term "toon". I don't like the way it sounds, and I find it disrespectful and demeaning to these amazing characters. On the other hand, I've completely accepted that it is standard parlance. :)

Zugzwang
08-31-2018, 05:34 PM
I'm with you, Watchful Prism. I hate the term "toon". I don't like the way it sounds, and I find it disrespectful and demeaning to these amazing characters. On the other hand, I've completely accepted that it is standard parlance. :)

Yea “Toons” is totally demeaning. How about “SOD’s” (for Stormtroopers of Death?)
Or maybe Englebert Humperdincks? Both terms show due reverence to these sentient beings.

Deathbat6120
08-31-2018, 05:48 PM
Honestly, I just thought that "Toons" were what they were properly called, since that's what everyone refers to them as, and so I went with it. While yes, there are bigger issues to worry about, I do see both Druid and Prisms' points. Maybe we can just come up with something a bit different?

Stormseye
08-31-2018, 06:26 PM
I usually use the terms "ally" and "Eddie", as that is what NF uses. I sometimes use "character". While I really don't have any issue with any term you use, I have never been fond of the term "meta". I use it though to ensure that communication is relevant with the community but it is a "nails on a chalkboard" term for me. If this post was "tongue in cheek", I get it and appreciate it's the light heartedness. That being said, there are far more important reports to be made about the current state of the game and its many bugs.

TheAlbatross-1864
08-31-2018, 06:36 PM
I too dislike the word toon. I prefer Eddie or ally, or just character. Ally is just as easy as toon to type in really. Good discussion, these types of things are fun

Yup
08-31-2018, 06:37 PM
... so uhm... toon in next week for a new term then?? :)

Ancient Mariner
08-31-2018, 06:53 PM
I too dislike the word toon. I prefer Eddie or ally, or just character. Ally is just as easy as toon to type in really.
yeah, same here

Yup
08-31-2018, 06:54 PM
Well, for the record, I use "toon" all the time.. that' s what they are... well done or not, they are 3d cartoon characters. You may as well not like the word "Ally" or "Character" or "Eddie" or "fighter" or "figure" or "thing" or "player" or "teammate" or....... :)

Admittedly though, it'll be a real cold day in hell before usage of any word "bothers" me though.

Stormseye
08-31-2018, 06:59 PM
I know what words bother you Yup .. "AI boost" :cool:

Icarus
08-31-2018, 07:20 PM
I actually call them Toons since i joined the forum, before that, all of the characters were just ''characters'' and my ''champion''.
Because it is short and easy to write (and also because im lazy) i decided to just write ''toon'' everytime i want to refer to a character.
I also don't like how it sounds at first instance, but it is good after all, me and many others just use that term (i don't know if for the same reason) maybe just we got used to it.

Yup
08-31-2018, 07:21 PM
Not bothered :) I find it funny actually. Out of all the offensive things posted here (KKClansman, Pole Dancers, etc) you pick "toon" ;)

Yup
08-31-2018, 07:23 PM
I know what words bother you Yup .. "AI boost" :cool:

Much like the devs.. I deny that, contrary to any evidence. :)

Sick
08-31-2018, 07:44 PM
Toon, toon, toon toon, toon, toon, toon - what a waste of time.

kryton
08-31-2018, 08:02 PM
I am definitely guilty of using the term "Toons" on the forum. I picked up the term from other forums when referencing non-playable characters. I also like to see troopers in the forum,when referencing a character,just spell out the name instead of just using the first letter of each word/name whatever. Half the time I don't know which toon they are referencing. WOOPS there I go again,LOL.

Zugzwang
08-31-2018, 08:19 PM
This thread be finna get locked quick. It be gettin hairy up in here coz y’all ninjas be ackin like dis be serious n sh*t. 🤫

Sick
08-31-2018, 08:42 PM
Jofer, we need your help.

osiris0000
08-31-2018, 09:02 PM
https://preview.ibb.co/fEYmhz/mofer_1.jpg

kkkreg5
08-31-2018, 09:05 PM
I miss SK. In today's climate, he would have been banned within seconds...

kryton
08-31-2018, 09:05 PM
*****roflmfao*****

kkkreg5
08-31-2018, 09:06 PM
This thread be finna get locked quick. It be gettin hairy up in here coz y’all ninjas be ackin like dis be serious n sh*t. ��

Translation please...

Sick
08-31-2018, 09:24 PM
Translation please...

Translation: I‘m drunk, need to go to bed.

Amarthir
08-31-2018, 09:32 PM
This thread be finna get locked quick. It be gettin hairy up in here coz y’all ninjas be ackin like dis be serious n sh*t. ��

Oh my God, Guys I think he just summoned Candyman!

Jokes aside, the word toon never really bothered me. I use it quite a bit just since it's a slightly shorter word to type. Besides, I can think of much worse words that might bother you but I can't use them because I'm on a public forum lmao.

Zugzwang
08-31-2018, 09:34 PM
Jofer, we need your help.

Go cry Sick. Cry harder. Hahhahahahahaha

osiris0000
08-31-2018, 09:54 PM
http://emmecon.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/awesome-popcorn-meme-michael-jackson-memes-i-require-pinterest.jpg

Stormseye
08-31-2018, 10:03 PM
er……..

Deathbat6120
08-31-2018, 10:06 PM
Well damn, this took a turn from when I last checked. Haven't got even a slightest clue as to what's going on anymore lol.

Yup
08-31-2018, 10:14 PM
Toon, toon, toon toon, toon, toon, toon - what a waste of time.

:D Ain't that EXACTLY what LotB is all about?? :D

Leviathan
09-01-2018, 12:36 AM
Hey guys.

Let's please keep this conversation civil. We don't mind disagreements but personal attacks will be removed.

Saigrim
09-03-2018, 06:36 AM
I’m behaving, Leviathan. I’m just listening to some toons while I run my Troopers toons for the night. Then I might toon out for the night and catch some z’s. Before I go though I’ll pass on some words of wisdom. You can toon a piano, but you can’t toona fish.

Good night!

xxxphantomfreakxxx
10-23-2018, 07:29 PM
I don't much care for the term "Toon" it implies that we are children watching children's cartoons. We are adults playing a role playing game named after a heavy metal band aka Iron Maiden. (It just makes my Balls itch)
For the most part when talking to others here, in the gamer group, or on the facebook page I simply refer to non-Eddies as characters.

About the only time I even use the term "Toon" is when stirring the pot and melting snowflakes for their rabid adherence to only keeping Troopers who share Eddies only as their champion (#shareatoon) because I find it redundant when the main goal of "Troopers" is for collecting trooper badges. Not only that, it smacks of frivolity when these same people are all the time requesting adds from others, looking for loyal, active, daily troopers.

Anyway, back on track. I don't see the need to try and kick start a movement for a new term when referring to none-Eddies. If for no other reason we as a community can't come together enough to make the Dev's (The Great Oz's Behind The Curtain) finally sit up and take notice about all the varied things wrong with the game.

P.S. Oh and #shareatoon ;)

Sick
10-24-2018, 03:24 PM
Where to hell did you find this thread?

Muzzleloader
10-24-2018, 05:08 PM
I know this thread is just a way to waste time. Why call a toon or character an ally. An ally would be from a different community or game. I guess you could call the birds allies since they are from Angry Birds. It is all just how you want to interpret a definition of an object. I guess calling Yosemite Sam a toon is derogratory.

The Educated fool
10-24-2018, 05:43 PM
I missed this thread on its first run, so I'm glad it got bumped. It was pretty amusing reading. (I gather, from the blank posts, that it was once even more amusing, but tragically, I suppose I'll never know the depths of this. lol)

I've always found the word toon kinda goofy, as relates to characters in this game, though I've never given it a whole lotta thought one way or the other. If it should come to a vote though, and we're gonna call them something else, my vote is to call them "wankers". :cool:

rags-6094
10-24-2018, 07:37 PM
Wankers works for me too! Honestly though I used to use the term "toon" because it was common place in the forums when I started out, then it became good in a way because it's short and to the point, I use the word character often but it is more descriptive of any Eddie or Non Eddie as is the word Ally, so we need a short or shortened descriptive way to term these "toons"
How about wks for Wankers? Anyone got a better suggestion?

MetalKing
10-24-2018, 07:43 PM
I have no problem with the word toon. How about lumping them as characters char. For short, and list them as Ed's, and Allys if referring to them sseparately.