PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Remastered CDs

kkkreg5
11-16-2018, 09:50 PM
Anyone know why they went heavy gloss on Maiden and Killers, but not on NotB or PoM? I know, seems knit picky but I was excited when seeing the first two, then kinda let down by 3 and 4.

jeff-3007
11-17-2018, 02:55 AM
Don't know what you mean by "heavy gloss", but I read on several forums that these are even more compressed with lower dynamic range than the last remasters (from 1998 I believe). I have those and they are ear-bleeders. Not surprised since the new remasters were done exclusively for I-tunes which tells me they were just for ear-bud casual listening at the gym or something, not for being enjoyed on your stereo. Best get a record player and find the old vinyl on Ebay if you want to crank it up!

kkkreg5
11-17-2018, 04:55 AM
Jeff,
I was referring to the packaging. As for the dynamic range of the actual recordings, the '98 remasters sounded like compressed MP3 files on CD to me. I understand that the 2015's were "optimized" for iTunes and also put on vinyl, which isn't too bad. I'd just like a set with all recordings "remastered" to include the B-sides. I have the' 95 Castle set that included the B-sides. The sound to me, is flat, but I'm not an audiophile, so I'm sure I'm missing out. As for original vinyl, I have a few, but I'm too lazy to set up my turn table!

Muzzleloader
11-17-2018, 01:07 PM
If you want the b sides why not buy the 2 cd set of b sides, it may be better than buying all the remastered albums.

I think it is a joke to keep putting out newly remastered recordings. If they cant get it correct on the first remaster than there is a problem. Just going for the paycheck .

How many copies do we need to buy. LP, cassette, first cd and then the remastered editions.

kkkreg5
11-17-2018, 04:24 PM
I have that set. Bought it before I realized it wasn't complete. It's missing Massacre from the 7th Son sessions and Space Station No. 5 doesn't have the return of Rod.

I was hoping for "deluxe" editions of all the albums.

jeff-3007
11-17-2018, 08:49 PM
Have you had a chance to listen to the new remasters yet? If so, how do they compare sound wise to the older cd's? I agree they should have made these definitive and included all the B sides. My Castle release of Live After Death had different tracks, too including Losfer Words live which was really cool. Btw, I picked up tix for the show in VA next June. Are you planning to see the tour next year?

kkkreg5
11-18-2018, 01:16 AM
Have you had a chance to listen to the new remasters yet? If so, how do they compare sound wise to the older cd's? I agree they should have made these definitive and included all the B sides. My Castle release of Live After Death had different tracks, too including Losfer Words live which was really cool. Btw, I picked up tix for the show in VA next June. Are you planning to see the tour next year?

Haven't had a chance to give them a listen but I'm hoping they are better than the iTunes files. Yeah, I eq'd my Castle collection to help them out. Hoping to go in September. We'll see. I'll post when I give my set a listen...

kkkreg5
11-19-2018, 05:58 PM
It appears that they used the exact remaster used for the iTunes files. I have attached the wav file images here.

iTunes:

2018 CD WAV file:

Kind of disappointing...

jeff-3007
11-19-2018, 10:34 PM
Good lord! Based on those images I can't see how these would be improved over the previous releases. I will live with what I already have. Thanks so much for posting!

Wyphy
11-20-2018, 02:57 AM
Yes, loudness wars need to stop.
Going far, far beyond a bit of enhancing compression.
Dynamic range is a thing, let us hear it.

Banished
11-20-2018, 09:20 AM
Well it seems that those remasters are interesting only if you want to collect the Eddies...

scott-5496
11-20-2018, 10:59 AM
Yeah, I got my NOTB remaster box yesterday - it plays fine to me and sound decent but again not an audiophile and my stereo is mid range though I do love my B&W speakers. I too wish for all b-sides to be included - even on a separate CD if they do not want to mess up the original track listing. We even miss out on tracks used on US releases so that sort of sucks a bit. Still, nice little box set - will get SIT when it comes out too - the figures are nice...OH, and of course you get the 666 ironite voucher too! Not sure if you get it in all of the non-box set releases or not?? Anyone get the others - did they have a code too? 666 ironite is worth a bit for sure so that is a nice extra that I was not aware of on the adverts for it!

I also just got the Onkyo 'Ed Phones' for £49.99 from HMV UK Black Friday sale. I friend had a set when they were released (they cost about £190 then). They sound great and that was just from an iphone! So looking forward to getting those soon as that is a lot of money off for a great pair of phones - well tuned to metal too.

Banished
11-20-2018, 02:47 PM
Yeah, I got my NOTB remaster box yesterday - it plays fine to me and sound decent but again not an audiophile and my stereo is mid range though I do love my B&W speakers. I too wish for all b-sides to be included - even on a separate CD if they do not want to mess up the original track listing. We even miss out on tracks used on US releases so that sort of sucks a bit. Still, nice little box set - will get SIT when it comes out too - the figures are nice...OH, and of course you get the 666 ironite voucher too! Not sure if you get it in all of the non-box set releases or not?? Anyone get the others - did they have a code too? 666 ironite is worth a bit for sure so that is a nice extra that I was not aware of on the adverts for it!

I also just got the Onkyo 'Ed Phones' for £49.99 from HMV UK Black Friday sale. I friend had a set when they were released (they cost about £190 then). They sound great and that was just from an iphone! So looking forward to getting those soon as that is a lot of money off for a great pair of phones - well tuned to metal too.

The ironite voucher sounds very interesting. I hope I will have one when buying NotB this week-end (depends a bit on my WAF...).

kkkreg5
11-21-2018, 12:15 AM
Voucher only in the NotB box. The other three did not.

Banished
11-22-2018, 11:56 AM
Bought NofB with the figurine. Pretty nice.

But the packaging of the CD. How to say: very basic. I was expecting much more. I won't buy the others as I'm happy with my current collection.

scott-5496
11-22-2018, 02:15 PM
Yeah me too. A nice box set and like the figure for sure. 666 ironite just a nice little bonus!