PDA

View Full Version : General Talisman Advice/Explanation?

Tengu316
06-13-2019, 04:10 PM
Been playing for about a month and talismans still are confusing to me. I can't seem to figure out what talismans would work better where and which ones are worth trying or just selling off. For example, I just got my first ever Pharaoh Dog King, Assassin model. I have no clue what talismans would work well with him so I just kinda make a generic template (gave him Health, Resistance, and Resilience). I do that with all my characters: pump up their defense/HP as much as I can and let the chips fall where they may, but I feel like I'm not getting it.

Is there a explanation somewhere that would help? I saw one once (can't remember where on the forum) but comments made it sound like it was outdated.

Thanks!

Muzzleloader
06-13-2019, 04:29 PM
You need to read the description of their skills. Do they do magic, attack or true damage? Then you apply the appropriate talisman with the boost of those stats. You also build up HP were needed. When you start collecting the special 4, 5, and 6 set talisman to do specific roles it becomes a real different games.

Which Pharoah dog king did you pull? If you add your game ID someone can help tailor your toons to talisman you have.

Some toons dont do much damage, but add buffs/defuffs to your team members. Read the skills and build your talismans to complement the toons abilities.

scott-5496
06-13-2019, 08:31 PM
It depends on what you want to do with the character and what his slots are. Not got a PDK Assassin yet but assume he is true damage based? If so then try to balance attack and magic and give him some HP too. You may want a character to hit hard or to be more defensive so think about those factors - those are the key things. There are often no perfect talisman for many of the characters - it is trial and error and in most cases common sense.

I tend to look at the base stats of the character and the description of skills and potential buffs to see what might work best in either a more defensive or attack based strategy. In PVE it is often just going for highest damage but in PVP and Gauntlet it can be a mixture of attack and defence or very defensive - it really just depends but in the end it is oftennot even just that one character you need to think about but how he blends with the other two or three team mates.

When I started I used a warrior team and all of them had some green tallies on them for some protection but as I got better and broader characters that changed a bit. My kids team changed when they got a Mgus Lilith each - they could focus less on defense for the other team members as she took the brunt of the pain as any blocker does. Early on a good blocker can help a lot - if you have one test it out and put strong HP tallies on them or destiny for example.

Tengu316
06-14-2019, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the replies! I really appreciate it!

My GID is Tengu316-5082. I'd really appreciate someone taking a look at what I've got (and what I need).

I pulled the Assassin PDK and he does one hit of physical and one hit of magic damage. He has two green slots and one purple. I've got him on a team to make use of his revive/heal abilities (my guys never seem to last long). Right now, my best team of both PvE and PvP is Doomsday Eddie (fully sharded), Clairvoyant, and Derby Demon (Sentinel). The Derby Demon will be replaced with my latest character, Lilith (Magus), as soon as I can figure out what to do with her. My goal is to come up with a half-way decent PvE team. It's not that I want to rank really high in Arena or anything, but I figure PvP is tons tougher than PvE so if I come up with a good PvP team, PvE should be a bit easier for me.

So taking what you both suggested, I equipped my PDK with Resilience (Barrier) to boost his HP since his magic and attack were highest. Then I added Warp (Ward) to boost his magic based on his HP (figured there was some synergy between those two). Then I got stuck, so I chose Boost (Bulwark) for no reason whatsoever other than I already had them at 5*.

Does that sound about right (Boost not withstanding)?

Sorry for the length; trying to see if my logic is anywhere close to how you guys think! :D

Thanks again!

Muzzleloader
06-14-2019, 05:46 PM
M lilith is best with fortune, but destiny is more readily available to newer player. Both are a 4 set blue talis set. Destiny talis can be bought with iron coins from the PvP store. She is used for a blocker, that on normal attacks applies exhaust. Her power move cleases the team. Depending on your teams ability immunity is a good choice.

Esquatcho
06-15-2019, 04:23 AM
Thanks for the replies! I really appreciate it!

My GID is Tengu316-5082. I'd really appreciate someone taking a look at what I've got (and what I need).

I pulled the Assassin PDK and he does one hit of physical and one hit of magic damage. He has two green slots and one purple. I've got him on a team to make use of his revive/heal abilities (my guys never seem to last long). Right now, my best team of both PvE and PvP is Doomsday Eddie (fully sharded), Clairvoyant, and Derby Demon (Sentinel). The Derby Demon will be replaced with my latest character, Lilith (Magus), as soon as I can figure out what to do with her. My goal is to come up with a half-way decent PvE team. It's not that I want to rank really high in Arena or anything, but I figure PvP is tons tougher than PvE so if I come up with a good PvP team, PvE should be a bit easier for me.

So taking what you both suggested, I equipped my PDK with Resilience (Barrier) to boost his HP since his magic and attack were highest. Then I added Warp (Ward) to boost his magic based on his HP (figured there was some synergy between those two). Then I got stuck, so I chose Boost (Bulwark) for no reason whatsoever other than I already had them at 5*.

Does that sound about right (Boost not withstanding)?

Sorry for the length; trying to see if my logic is anywhere close to how you guys think! :D

Thanks again!

So for the PDK, I would actually be inclined to go a 3 purple set like nightmare/immortal/vamprie or even assassin. Then a 3 green set (ward or overwhelming). The 3 greens will give you more than enough HP. The 3 sets will give you a better boost or more useful effects than what the resiliance. The other option would be to get a good 4 set of purples, like trap + warlord, or shadows and then add them with 2xmystical greens. My general rule of thumb with greens and yellows is to go the higher HP variety if you are using 2 of them, and not the high HP variety otherwise - exception of course is for any characters that have damage scale on HP!

Magus Lilith, I would buy a set of destiny asap and max them out. They are invaluable, particularly on magus lilith in the early stages (unfortunately M lilith was pretty much the last one to drop for me! lol)

Using your boost as a stop-gap is fine as they are there, but ideally youd only be using boost on chars that scale damage based on 'special' (like cyborg eddie for eg).

As for a quick look at your team, I'd get a set of 3 purples and three greens on Breeg as he is awesome too!

Alliance General is very, very useful too. For starters I would get 3 sets of mystical health talismans on him to really ramp up the damage and health!

Your green shinobi medic is also really good. 4 blues and 2xmystical greens there. With a set of fortune she pretty much cant die without the right chars in opposition. Still destiny works on her to (or even 2 sets of holy.

Lady Azov got me through most of the original game. If you can get a set of energy or some other good 3 green set, then with assassins, she is super good.

Work on your assassin lilith too. 3xgreens and 3xpurples. As she damages all, even some blinds are good enough at the start.

Warrior AoF is worth investing in too. That extra turn is gold early on in the dungeons. I used him with azov to go quite far, iirc I had thief and some purchase steels on him.

Warrior Newborn of Light is gun. 4xreds, 2xgreens for max damage. counterattack, big damage and removes beneficial effects (very sought after!)

Otherwise you have a number of other decent chars worth investing in over time, assassin hellhound, A corrupt rescuer, A anumbis, A NoL, green troll, angel of strife (though M lilith is a better blocker!).

For me, your best team would be DDE / BBE / M lilith, A lilith, S General, swapping in A PDK, S Ninja, AoF & Azov as needed

On a general note, it seems you have a lot of incomplete sets on chars. Imo, I'd keep them in your inventory until you have a set of them. Definitely dont start evolving them until you have a full set. I wasted so many mats over time doing that. If you do run out of inventory space though, put the part big sets on your unused eddies so they are easily accessible.

Tengu316
06-26-2019, 04:00 PM
Thank you all so much for the help and advice! You got me to level 100 and into Night City. :)

I think I have a handle on starting talisman strategy now. At least, it doesn't seem so confusing and I have directions to go for testing and experimenting. I really appreciate it! The general tips about what to look for, what I should be shoring up, really helped tons!

@Esquatcho, owe you a big debt for the walkthrough on my characters! I took your advice across the board and have been reaping the benefits. Even made it to class C in Gauntlet (yeah, I know, still low, but before I was only able to enter D and couldn't even complete it!) I've been stockpiling my characters as you recommended, but getting rid of the one- and two- star characters; they just seem too weak, even leveled up to five-stars. Studying up on characters is next on my to-do list. lol

Thanks again, everybody!

Esquatcho
06-27-2019, 02:45 AM
Thank you all so much for the help and advice! You got me to level 100 and into Night City. :)

I think I have a handle on starting talisman strategy now. At least, it doesn't seem so confusing and I have directions to go for testing and experimenting. I really appreciate it! The general tips about what to look for, what I should be shoring up, really helped tons!

@Esquatcho, owe you a big debt for the walkthrough on my characters! I took your advice across the board and have been reaping the benefits. Even made it to class C in Gauntlet (yeah, I know, still low, but before I was only able to enter D and couldn't even complete it!) I've been stockpiling my characters as you recommended, but getting rid of the one- and two- star characters; they just seem too weak, even leveled up to five-stars. Studying up on characters is next on my to-do list. lol

Thanks again, everybody!

Nice mate! And congrats on C in Gauntlet! Only way is up!

Night City is next level, so your progress might be a bit slower until now... Though if you can get a prisoner, Iron Eddie and an assassin demon spawn (a 3*), then you will fly through! Assassin Demon Spawn give crave, prisoner blocks any immunity, then iron eddies attack all move puts burns and stuns anyone with crave!

On Characters, often their relative strength isnt so clear, so keep asking questions! Also Deathbats spreadsheet of skills is suuuper handy: http://forum.ironmaidenlegacy.com/showthread.php?10506-I-ve-created-a-handy-guide-to-LOTB-Characters-and-their-Effects

And yeah, there pretty much arent any 1 or 2* chars that are worth anything in the future. Even many 3*s are useless... However a few have niche skills that can be helpful still (assassin demon spawn, gunner dog and sentinel guardian... and the eddies for eg!).

Anyway good luck in the grind!