PDA

View Full Version : Updates from Space Station No.5 - November 7th 2019

Ceeg_LOTB
11-07-2019, 11:26 PM

Hello Troopers!

Welcome to November! This weeks Update from Space Station No. 5 is going to be a short one.

We are all focused on projects like server stability updates and working through our Customer Support requests. Changing our focus to server stability doesn’t affect the timeline for events and those will still be announced in the Game Feed.

Changes

If you haven’t heard yet, we adjusted the Crimson Blades Dungeon to stop Enemies from having multiple sets of Brave Talismans. We updated the enemies Talismans to 1 Brave set and 1 Tower/Serenity. This should allow for the floor to be more accessible to more players. The difficulty of this floor was not originally designed to limit as many players as it did. There was a counter to it, it just wasn’t as effective as we wanted it to be.

Bugs and such

Thank you for your patience while we worked on server stability. We implemented the first of the updates to the server at the beginning of the month, but we are working on more updates as a priority for 2019.

We are aware that the Missions tab is still bugged for a lot of our players. This is manifesting in a couple of ways including not tracking Missions completing and showing notification bubbles like there are rewards to claim. We are looking at some solutions to this and will resolve this as soon as possible, as we know it is affecting how you play.

Clans

We do not have any content updates for Clans in November. It will be business as usual while we stabilize everything that we have currently available. Things like Check-In tracking are targeted bugs that will be addressed as soon as possible.

Weekend Warrior will return next week…

Last but not least, I would like to invite the Community to share their Fan art. I have seen it all over the forum, in different places on Facebook and Twitter. I would love to see what you have done! Post it here in this thread and we will feature our favourites in next week's Space Station No.5 Update.

That’s it!

Space Station No.5, shutting down until next week.

scott-5496
11-07-2019, 11:37 PM
Requesting art may not be a great move given the amount of 'artists' we have on the forum!

Well don't for getting this out even in a limited form.

Muzzleloader
11-07-2019, 11:45 PM
Changing our focus to server stability doesn’t affect the timeline for events and those will still be announced in the Game Feed.*

That may have been poorly worded. We are working on a problem, but will still release material without fixing previous bugs. Many would welcome a break if some of the bugs were fixed. Grinding events are frustrating when you need to babysit to catch the connectivity lose, especially in timed dungeons.

Galactic Cosmos
11-07-2019, 11:48 PM
Here’s two of my favorites that I made:

https://twitter.com/ryan_norman2/status/1093496915558367233?s=21

https://twitter.com/ryan_norman2/status/1131257672022544388?s=21

Discordian
11-08-2019, 02:07 AM
Photo is of my copyright; fonts used were public domain.

Blazpheme
11-08-2019, 02:16 AM
So you wanna see some art? This was inspired by the current trend of re-skinned characters in the game...

Yup
11-08-2019, 02:18 AM
Photo is of my copyright;

Sorry.. uhm.. you were alive to take a photo in 1917?? You're more than 102 years old???

You might want to sue the folks on pinterest for using your copyrighted work: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/528750812500105042/

Discordian
11-08-2019, 02:31 AM
Sorry.. uhm.. you were alive to take a photo in 1917?? You're more than 102 years old???

You might want to sue the folks on pinterest for using your copyrighted work: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/528750812500105042/

I own that original glass-plate diapositive for the stereoscopic version of that slide. Therefore, copyright of my work (as well as scanning and cleaning the scratches) does indeed reside with me. My copyright attorney agrees.

thealchemist
11-08-2019, 03:02 AM
So you wanna see some art? This was inspired by the current trend of re-skinned characters in the game...

Lmao. That will all be us in a few years from playing this game too long. Nice work lol

Discordian
11-08-2019, 03:15 AM
You may own a stereoscopic slide of the image and have done work on it, but you do not own the copyright of the picture. It can be, and is used online in at least 29 places as seen in the link below. I mean nice little meme you did but your copyright attorney is barking up the wrong tree if you think you have legal control over the use of that image.

https://www.tineye.com/search/f0ac02a45163feac3d2c6d001c224f05002a79a6?page=1

That particular instance of the image is of my copyright. I took an extremely scratched up instance of a fairly common - but more-than-usually tonally rich slide, and I did a lot of work on it.

This does not mean that other people can't use other sources for the image and do as they like with it. The base image is obviously in the public domain, having been created prior to 1924.

This particular instance of it, however, is copyrighted, under the same precepts that, e.g., someone who recreates an Aubrey Beardsley illustration in color and sells it on Etsy owns the copyright to their own derivative work.

It's all academic really; the only reason I mentioned that I own the copyright is to make it clear that I'm not making memes out of things that are under the auspices of anybody else's copyright. That is to say, I want to be perfectly clear that I'm not infringing on anybody's rights by posting it.

LotB players may feel free to repost this meme any time the server crashes. So pretty much several times a day.

Deathbat6120
11-08-2019, 05:44 AM
Did a whole bunch of Iron Maiden fan art as part of my Art Exam a while back (Except Carnival Ed, he was a fun little idea). Teachers insisted it wasn't "fine art" and told me to take it out of the exam book.. so you guys can appreciate it here instead!

6789 6790

Yup
11-08-2019, 06:11 AM
I own that original glass-plate diapositive for the stereoscopic version of that slide. Therefore, copyright of my work (as well as scanning and cleaning the scratches) does indeed reside with me. My copyright attorney agrees.

not at all how copyrights work.. nice try though.

That particular instance of the image is of my copyright. I took an extremely scratched up instance of a fairly common - but more-than-usually tonally rich slide, and I did a lot of work on it.

It is important to realize the reformatting or reconstituting copyrighted materials into a new form does NOT mean you can claim new copyright. -- You have created a derivative work.. that does NOT make you the copyright holder.

Think of it like a DVD.. you buy a DVD of some movie.. you then rip that DVD to a .mkv file.. you can't claim copyright over the .mkv file because you don't have copyright over the original content. All you've done is change the format of the content. Nothing new was created and without the original content your alterations to the format would not exist. Therefore scanning a glass plate dispositive may reconstitute the original image into a new form.. however it does not create new copyright.

The photo is 100 years old.. copyrights last (in the US) for 75 years after the creators death. So, unless that photographer died in 1943, which is entirely possible... there may still be a valid copyright in place which you clearly can not claim is yours. If the photographer did die prior to 1943, that would mean the photo is in Public Domain which, again, you can not claim ownership over.

------------------

I only point all this out because I make my living via intellectual property and specifically illustration and artwork. While the general public seems to often feel they have "copyright" because they have replicated, reproduced, or altered, some image they found.. this is an entirely incorrect assumption. You can not claim copyright over a derivative work. It does not matter how much you altered an image or what you altered. There is no such thing as "change it by X amount, and it's okay."

-----------------

Sorry, I honestly didn't mean to divert the thread so much.. but this is my profession.. my living..... for more than 30 years.. please do not claim copyright when you've merely stolen the work of someone else. You FOUND a photo and placed some type over it... that's all. It's derivative work entirely and not one single part of it is original in any way.

We can just leave it there. While I stand behind all I've typed. I do feel kind of like the ass in teh room for pointing it out. I know I'm absolutely 100% correct in every statement I've made.. but I don't want to ruin anyone's fun.

Yup
11-08-2019, 06:25 AM
[stuff]

Dude, nice work. Great use of perspective and foreshortening in some of those!

Discordian
11-08-2019, 06:37 AM
not at all how copyrights work.. nice try though.

Blah blah blah a bunch of bullshit

-----------------

Sorry, I honestly didn't mean to divert the thread so much.. but this is my profession.. my living..... for more than 30 years.. please do not claim copyright when you've merely stolen the work of someone else.

Alrighty Yup, go take "[your] profession... [your] living..." and [redacted]

You're quite incorrect on copyright age for works created before 1 January 1978; they blanket expire a certain number of years after their creation date. This is why, for example, books, photographs, and movies published in 1923 and before are universally in the public domain, including the BASE IMAGE that was used here. My work on fixing it up - that's not in the public domain! When professionals like Marina Amaral colorize an original photograph, they own the rights to the colorization; when professional retouchers retouch a photo, likewise, although there is usually a contract between retoucher and photographer reassigning copyright.

I don't give a toss one way or another if people USE this image, I was making clear the fact that I was not violating anybody else's copyright in posting it. I tend to do this specifically because I respect copyrights myself; every three months I submit my most recent body of work to the US Copyright Office to make it official.

I can't claim ownership over the original work. Neither can anybody else. I can claim copyright over the changes, inasmuch as they're not part of the original. At some point in time, someone colorized a version of this scene (which was actually left there for hours) shot with a regular camera. If they colorized it after 1923 and didn't expire before 1978, their copyright to that colorization still holds.

See, I'm a professional as well, and I take offense when [redacted] accuses me of not understanding copyright law. Since I've made a living for the past 20 years creating intellectual property, have entered into complex negotiations for the transfer of that property, and have numerous times sought legal recourse when people have violated my copyright, I think I know what I'm talking about here.

TL;DR: STFU.

Yup
11-08-2019, 06:41 AM
See.. I never once called you any derogatory name or swore at you...

Your reaction is quite typical and honestly, expected. If one can not communicate in a professional manner, why should I believe they are professional in their actions?

(psst.. you CAN'T own copyright on a derivative work such as colorizing or retouching...)

Okay then.. I'm done here.

Discordian
11-08-2019, 06:44 AM
Okay then.. I'm done here.

Nobody asked you to come in here and comment on my shit, [redacted]

Beddie
11-08-2019, 06:44 AM
Mate the meme wasn’t even that funny and you don’t own any part of it so stop

Discordian
11-08-2019, 06:48 AM
Mate the meme wasn’t even that funny and you don’t own any part of it so stop

If you didn't find it amusing, that's fine. You win some, you lose some.

I just didn't appreciate Yup's condescending attitude towards someone he clearly views as his junior (which I doubt I am).

Yup
11-08-2019, 06:51 AM
No. I merely disliked the misinformation regarding copyright. that's what I commented on. Someone was claiming ownership over stolen imagery. I felt compelled to comment.

Again.. I'm not the one calling people names.

Azagthor
11-08-2019, 06:57 AM
Eh, IP laws differ around the world. I thought you could claim ownership on things that you'd significantly recoloured or altered. As amusing as this all is however, it's unrelated to the rest of the thread.

Awesome pencil sketches Deathbat!

And Devs, if you want to slow down your event schedule to focus on server stability, not sure too many people would hold that against you :p

Discordian
11-08-2019, 06:57 AM
No. I merely disliked the misinformation regarding copyright. that's what I commented on. Someone was claiming ownership over stolen imagery. I felt compelled to comment.

Again.. I'm not the one calling people names.

And I dislike being condescended to. Immensely.

In point of fact, while variants on that image are absolutely in the public domain, my retouched scan of it is not. That's textbook. And regardless, as I said before you deigned condescend to me, I was only posting that I had the copyright to the image and had used public domain fonts in order to make it perfectly clear that I was not, myself, in violation of any intellectual property laws. You surely saw that, as you quoted it. So no need to act all expert on it; I know the laws backwards and forwards.

I'm sorry if you felt like I flew off the handle, but as a professional who's been at this for decades, I felt insulted.

Blade
11-08-2019, 10:47 AM
Changing our focus to server stability doesn’t affect the timeline for events and those will still be announced in the Game Feed.

Honestly, this statement is irritating and can easily be misunderstood as an affront! We all would not only "accept" but highly appreciate if you WOULD take problems like server stability into account when you decide if an event takes place and e.g. how long it should run. The server instability was a big issue and also because of that, players were e.g. not able to finish the grind for van Helsing! Also I did not use any key for time limited dungeons for a while because of the server issue. Hence, it would have been helpful if you would have prolongued the grind event for Helsing and e.g. allow each key to open the dungeon longer to compensate for the connection problems (something like 2.5 hrs instead of 2 and 1.25 instead of 1 hr...)

If you haven’t heard yet, we adjusted the Crimson Blades Dungeon to stop Enemies from having multiple sets of Brave Talismans. We updated the enemies Talismans to 1 Brave set and 1 Tower/Serenity. This should allow for the floor to be more accessible to more players. The difficulty of this floor was not originally designed to limit as many players as it did. There was a counter to it, it just wasn’t as effective as we wanted it to be.

Thanks for that change! We all were pretty sure this happened due to a bug or an unaware paste and copy. But concluding from your post, it reads like this was planned!? Why did you do that while it was a problem already in the LoL dungeon? Also what would be of interest for me: What was the counter you planned for that wave?

Thank you for your patience while we worked on server stability. We implemented the first of the updates to the server at the beginning of the month, but we are working on more updates as a priority for 2019.

Thanks for working on that. For me, problems are reduced slightly but there are still problems, especially for refreshing arena list, long loading times, game freezes and maclo errors once in a while that need to restart the app.

scott-5496
11-08-2019, 10:59 AM
Connection issues for me are better too - for sure. But yes they do still exist but for less time and with less consequences. Saying that I am staying away from using any keys too.

I do seem now to be able to set the phone off on auto when going to bed and it has fully completed the run when I wake up so that is a major win for me as I always do this at reset time as it is sort of sleeping time in the UK. Let that run and then in the am I have my 120 sands restoked and ready to finish off my troopers.

I think we have to get used to the events/characters going back on the rise again - it must be making money for them or why do it? And we need them to get money.

To me the game does seem to be changing in terms of player base - way more strong teams in the arena these days, suggests to me that the recent touring has drawn folk in and in good numbers too. So this is all good but it makes many of us long term players less at the forefront of the devs minds. They have to focus on the paying the bills and that makes a great deal of sense to me! Way more things to buy then ever before - pushing of multiple packs in the store and pop ups (they really are worse than ever) means that this must be working or why put in so much time on these items.

In the medium term these are all good things I just hope that they can sort out the short term issues we all face with the game so that they keep the newer players for longer.

I have not lost a trooper for a long time - maybe just one every few months or so and that shows there are a lot of 'old timers' still playing away, like me.

Mitch666
11-08-2019, 11:52 PM
Couple of Eddie's I've made and painted . Aces High Eddie is part of a much bigger piece that will be on the wall and fully animated with smoke and sound effects ect6798

Maiden
11-11-2019, 06:44 PM
I don't understand how come nobody said something about that Aces High Mitch, its fantastic, really! How you do make them, clay?

Yup
11-11-2019, 07:21 PM
Yea wow Mitch. Nice stuff!

scott-5496
11-12-2019, 10:12 AM
They are very cool. I just got an etsy Maiden related wood carving for my birthday and loved that. Loads of very cool fan related art out there for sure and these are really decent too. I try to draw Eddies with my kids - not great at it but I enjoy it for sure and it gets the kids doing art which I am all for!

Nice one!