PDA

View Full Version : What was the first Iron Maiden Album you ever heard?

The Educated fool
07-07-2016, 08:15 PM
Since there are literally no threads yet in this part of the forum, this seems like a reasonable place to start. What was the first Maiden album you ever heard?

For me, it was The Number of the Beast, back when I was just 6 years old, the year after its release. My dad and cousins used to play it on their record players, and it seemed equally cool and scary to me at the time. I've always found the artwork of that album particularly fearsome... especially the image on the record itself (https://i.ytimg.com/vi/W6h7LU4GY5M/hqdefault.jpg)

What came first for you?

skidmaidenfan
07-08-2016, 05:52 AM
Mine was the 1st album. I was browsing through a record store (yes, it was 1980) and saw Eddie on the cover. My friend and I went "halves" on it because the back photo looked like they were rockers. When we got it home and threw it on the turntable ... wow! I've bought every Maiden album on the release date since. And I've seen them live a few times.

The Educated fool
07-08-2016, 06:21 AM
Sweet! I've only had a chance to see them live four times, but they were the first concert I ever saw, at age 11 (Seventh Son Tour), and they blew me away!

eddiejose
07-08-2016, 09:18 AM
I think the first album I remember hearing was Dance Of Death back in 2003 when I was 10. Saw them live for the first time in 2006 with AMOLAD. Incredible show!!

Eddie
07-08-2016, 07:54 PM
Mi first aproximation with Iron Maiden was with the Best of the Beast compilation.... then I started to explore the albums and still I do it

Orc71
07-08-2016, 09:43 PM
The first time I ever heard Iron Maiden was the Piece of Mind album in 1983 when I was in high school. I remember the very first song I heard was The Trooper and since then I was hooked and have been a fan ever since.

The Educated fool
07-09-2016, 01:53 AM
The Trooper is a hell of a first Maiden song to hear! If that didn't hook you, pretty much nothing would. \m/

Best of the Beast was a great compilation... I remember being glad for it at the time because most of the Maiden I had was on cassette, so it was worth buying the songs again on CD. Greatest Hits are definitely the best way to get into new bands, as far as I'm concerned. I remember especially doing that with Cradle of Filth (Lovecraft & Witch Hearts).

Dance of Death is a great album. Quite underrated, I'd say. It wasn't the monster that Brave New World was, but still, lots of great tunes!

Ardezan
07-09-2016, 04:34 PM
I was in Greece with my parents on holiday when I was 10 years old. I bought Powerslave from a local record store because all of the big guys 'round the town played and listened to Maiden.

There was no turning back :D Still remember when I first put the CD to my Sony stereos and Aces High started... Oh man... :D

The Educated fool
07-09-2016, 07:26 PM
One of the best lead off tracks they've ever done, for sure... if not THE best.

AmBush-UK
07-09-2016, 08:14 PM
While working as a projectionist a colleague was playing Somewhere in Time this was my first introduction to Maiden, I went and bought Iron Maiden then Killers without knowing they were First and second release's

Hellcrow
07-09-2016, 08:42 PM
I think mine was Powerslave.

The Educated fool
07-10-2016, 11:55 PM
It took me a while to warm up to Maiden's first two albums... Di'Annos' voice is so different. In the end though, Iron Maiden itself is just too strong an album not to fall in love with. Killers, on the other hand, ranks as my second least favorite.

Powerslave is amazing.

Bryan-3528
07-12-2016, 05:55 PM
For me it was Somewhere in time. I first heard it back in either 1986 or 1987. I've never been the same since :)

Powerslave was after that along with Live After Death. I remember when Seventh Son came out and saw the world premier of the video for Can I play with Madness on MTV Headbangers ball after they did a quick interview with Bruce.

Jennie-5128
07-12-2016, 06:09 PM
Somewhere In Time here too, and I still love the cover.

The Educated fool
07-12-2016, 07:01 PM
Somewhere in Time always seems to get a lot of love in forums, and deservedly so. Very solid album, and unquestionably some of the most detailed Maiden artwork of all time.

Jennie-5128
07-12-2016, 07:41 PM
I love playing spot-the-reference on S.I.T. - lots of classic British scifi stuff in there.

AmBush-UK
07-13-2016, 02:44 PM
Somewhere In Time here too, and I still love the cover.

Spent Hours looking at the cover it's a plethora of references to earlier Iron Maiden

jpmusic
07-13-2016, 03:32 PM
My first approach was the Somewhere Back In Time compilation (arrived quite late to the party :P), then I started buying some more albums.

\m/

Emeldir
07-13-2016, 03:52 PM
For me it wasnt album - in my friends car on the road to Masters of Rock (2010 or 2011, i dont know...) festival he played his "best of Maiden" compilation. I said "i dont like it" on some Blaze era songs... some years laters, 2013 i think, my new boyfriend played some Maiden albums before concert in Prague. I wasnt on this concert but I started to explore Maiden universe and listen more albums. In 2014 I paid official fanclub membership, in 2015 attended concert in Brno and some days ago concert in Prague... Love do so much :D
Sorry for bad english, I am from Czech republic and i havent talent for foreign languages

Orc71
07-13-2016, 05:11 PM
Somewhere in Time has always been one of my favorite albums. One piece of my collection that survived is an original Running Free book that has the Somewhere in Time artwork on the cover that I have kept in a plastic sleeve since I bought it. One of my few original collectibles I have left.

The Educated fool
07-17-2016, 10:16 PM
Sweet! Got in on the ground floor then...

Bob.A.Smith-6226
07-24-2016, 04:37 AM
Powerslave

The Educated fool
07-25-2016, 01:12 AM
Probably the greatest world tour there ever was... I was a bit too young for it at the time though.

BillLion
07-27-2016, 07:44 PM
The first song I ever heard was "Run to the Hills." I was like 10 and went to the record store to buy it bit was too scared when I saw the cover. :) A year later I saw the video for "Flight of Icarus" and I bought "Piece of Mind" immediately at age 11. I then went back and bought the catalog and then rest going forward. I've seen them live a bunch of times and they're still my favorite band.

The Educated fool
07-30-2016, 11:30 PM
Love the Run to the Hills single cover!

Beeboo
07-30-2016, 11:44 PM
Number of the Beast back in 82 when I was 11.

The Educated fool
07-30-2016, 11:48 PM
Right on, man. \m/

compurocker
08-08-2016, 04:18 AM
I was late to the Maiden party. I actually blind bought the debut based on the album art alone, back in the late nineties. At the time I really only listened to what I called my holy trinity of Metallica, Megadeth, and Pantera. I also listened to some Malmsteen as I was getting into playing guitar.

I instantly loved that Maiden disc, but after a while I sort of forgot about it as I started branching out into prog metal. When I meandered my way back to Maiden I was like, wait a minute, I have a Maiden album! Pulled it out and instantly fell in love for the second time. Been a big fan ever since.

Olevipoeg
08-08-2016, 06:17 AM
Piece of Mind. For me this is still the best album.

Nekroliun
08-10-2016, 09:54 PM
As a song i first listened to speed of light then i listened to trooper, run to the hills, aces high, hallowed be thy name... Etc, then i listened to book of souls which is my second fav now after that i listened to number of the beast which blew me away

The Educated fool
08-11-2016, 09:47 PM
Speed of Light is a pretty interesting song to have heard first!

mrSaxonAcres
08-12-2016, 03:10 PM
As a song i first listened to speed of light then i listened to trooper, run to the hills, aces high, hallowed be thy name... Etc, then i listened to book of souls which is my second fav now after that i listened to number of the beast which blew me away

DUDE (or DUDESS), welcome to the family!!

Nekroliun
08-14-2016, 09:49 AM
DUDE (or DUDESS), welcome to the family!!

Its dude, one if the best things maiden has to offer is that their fanbase is great, almost everyone is nice.

Speed of Light is a pretty interesting song to have heard first!

My friend tried to make me listen to powerslave but i didnt like it that much, but after i listened to speed of light a couple of times i got hooked, i didnt like the other songs at first but speed of light is what got me into the band.

So to be exact i first listened to powerslave (the song not the album) and after that speed of light then the trooper, run to the hills,etc... I dunno what you meant hat its intresting to be heard first, maybe i just liked it cuz of the music vid xD.

Ps: Best music vid ever is speed if light

The Educated fool
08-15-2016, 01:29 AM
I just meant that I think that Speed of Light is a reasonably unique-sounding song in Maidens' catalogue... trying to imagine what I'd have made of the band if I came to that song first. :cool:

The Educated fool
08-17-2016, 08:49 PM
Hard to believe Powerslave could elicit such a response... this is, indeed, a brave new world! But, you came around... :cool:

OpticSugar
08-17-2016, 09:05 PM
Hard to believe Powerslave could elicit such a response... this is, indeed, a brave new world! But, you came around... :cool:

totally agree... Powerslave is my second favorite Maiden album... second to Number of the Beast. Those two albums along with Peace of Mind are total masterpieces in my opinion, There's not a bad song on them (the worst being maybe Quest for Fire, and still that's not a terrible song). 1981-1984 they were at their best. That's not to say that they didn't produce great material outside of this period... (and this is all my opinion of course)

Bob.A.Smith-6226
08-17-2016, 09:15 PM
Tell my why I had to be a Powerslave........

The Educated fool
08-17-2016, 09:28 PM
When it comes to masterpieces, in general, I'd say Maiden are good like that. :cool:

Nekroliun
08-18-2016, 12:07 AM
I usually judge songs by the first minutes, happened to my with bring me the horizone, decyfer down, crown the empire and sleeping with sirens. Just sayin, if u want a fine tune, check out throne by bring me the horizone, or ace of spades by motorhead. Ace of spades is one hell of a song!

Watchman
08-18-2016, 06:28 AM
Back in 2003 when i was 17 years old and finally becoming addicted to rock music, a friend from school gave me a compilation of songs he liked. Besides some SOAD, Slipknot and stuff like this, there was "Dream of Mirrors". I instantly fell in love with this song and bought the compilation "Edward the Great", the latest Album "Brave new world" and the Rock in Rio DVD.

The Educated fool
08-20-2016, 12:03 AM
Love Dream of Mirrors... Brave New World is such an amazing album, through and through.

Witkacy
09-04-2016, 10:15 PM
Killers back in 1981 when I was 8 years old :)

MadMax
09-05-2016, 12:08 AM
Somewhere in Time, got it from the Columbia Record and Tape Club 13 albums for a penny deal. Got Powerslave too, but listened to Somewhere in Time first.

Coletrain
09-05-2016, 03:26 AM
Heh, my dad had a copy of "No Prayer For The Dying" lying around that I happened to listen to. Luckily it made me check out the other, more well regarded albums.

007RAV15-8839
09-05-2016, 07:52 AM
Live After Death, Churchill's Speech then Aces High wow such build up and fast payoff! Hooked ever since!

Ancient Mariner
09-05-2016, 08:48 AM
My first album was Brave new world, then i listened to Live after death which made me know about the early stuff

The Educated fool
09-06-2016, 05:47 PM
Somewhere in Time, got it from the Columbia Record and Tape Club 13 albums for a penny deal. Got Powerslave too, but listened to Somewhere in Time first.

I love it! Good old Columbia. :cool:

Sudjenica
09-20-2016, 10:00 AM
My first IM CD was Live After Death and I was 12 years old. I bought the CD because I loved the cover. Needless to say I fell in love with the music after the first few songs... No, after Aces High, which means after the first song :D and 2 Minutes to Midnight remains my top favorite and most loved song of all times, while IM remains the only band I truly and deeply love :) Then came The Killers (I think, and I was amazed with the whole album), Iron Maiden, The Number of the Beast...
The funny thing is that, to this day, I hate live CDs, but I love Liver After Death (even have a LAD flag).
Damn, I have goose bumps now, as I have every time I think/talk about, listen to or watch live IM.

DaveMurrayStrat
09-20-2016, 09:15 PM
The Number of the Beast...I was 14. I listened to The Prisoner over and over, never heard an intro so cool. Then I bought Piece of Mind and never looked back, still a top three album for me POM.

Aristo4
09-20-2016, 09:27 PM
I was 11 in 1993 and well into queen,led zeppelin and deep purple (dad's music), and stumbled upon Number Of The Beast on display on the front glass of a recordstore....I said 'nice cover' went inside bought it and boom. Saw them live 7 times :cool:

Reeb99
09-20-2016, 09:32 PM
Somewhere In Time, still my favorite! I still have the big wall poster of the cyborg Eddie busting through the wall rolled up in a box somewhere. I think I need to paint a wall off-white and hang it up.

OpticSugar
09-21-2016, 01:03 PM
Somewhere In Time, still my favorite! I still have the big wall poster of the cyborg Eddie busting through the wall rolled up in a box somewhere. I think I need to paint a wall off-white and hang it up.

I used to have that on my bedroom door (facing into my bedroom). It was perfectly door-sized. Somewhere in Time was my first album as well. (I think I posted my introduction to Maiden story somewhere on this forum, but it seems to be gone now). I had a big Seventh Son poster (the art from the front/back album cover) and a giant powerslave mummy eddie black tapestry as well.

OpticSugar
09-21-2016, 01:26 PM
okay, I'll post it again:

One night circa 1987 - I was fourteen, I had my VCR ready with a blank tape to record this documentary on Heavy Metal scheduled to play on Mtv (back when Mtv was about music). I don't remember the name of the documentary, but it had great interviews with people like Ozzy, Dio, Scorpions, Def Leppard, AC/DC, etc. I was glued to the set and periodically making sure that my VCR was recording.

When the documentary was over, it went right into a very dramatic booming sound with a massive crowd cheering and dimmed lights... then I heard Churchhill's speech over the low roar of engines... A few moments later he says "We will NEVER SURRENDER!" and the fucking stage explodes with light, sound, pyrotechnics, and an enormous amount of energy. I glanced away for a moment at the VCR to make sure it was still recording (and it was). It was the World Slavery Tour. I soon became worried that I had enough room on the tape to record this entire concert (which I did). I remember watching these guys on stage, and they looked like they were having such a good time together, smiling like they was nothing in the world they enjoyed more than playing this music. It's like they didn't take it too seriously, with playful stuff like Dave Murray getting up on Bruce's shoulders and Bruce running around with an endless supply of energy. Also, I was a huge Indiana Jones fan (still am) and so the whole Egyptian theme stage really got my attention. My head officially exploded when the giant Pharaoh head over Niko's kit split apart and a larger-than-life Mummy Eddie came out and loomed over the stage. I think from that point on, Iron Maiden was my favorite band.

I immediately went out and bought their latest album, which at the time was Somewhere In Time. Then I bought Number of the Beast, Peace of Mind, Powerslave, and Live after Death. I got Seventh Son as soon as it got released. I spent countless hours looking at all the amazing details of Derek Riggs' fantastic artwork which can really only be fully appreciated on an LP sleeve.

To this day, I can't get sick of listening to any of those albums, no matter how many times I play them.

Nekroliun
09-21-2016, 02:27 PM
Damn, after reading that i gotta go to atleast one maiden concert...

Also the artwork is like one of the best things IM has, the cover of number of the beast, powerslave, somewhere in time and ESPECIALLY dance of death (best cover ever) are one of the reasons many people started hearing IM!

The Educated fool
09-22-2016, 07:00 PM
You really do... there is no band in the world that can touch Iron Maiden live!

lol--Poor old Dance of Death... that artwork gets no love at all. :cool:

Aristo4
09-22-2016, 07:07 PM
Dance of death is easily the worst iron maiden artwork ever for me.

Its unfinished, this was only a draft model, which with no shame Maiden used (why?)
Even the guy who designed it asked maiden to remove his name from the copyrights, that's not what he had in mind when finished :eek:

and you nekro think its the best ever? you were clearly drunk with trooper BEERS. :D

The Educated fool
09-22-2016, 07:12 PM
I could be wrong, Aristo, my friend... but I believe ol' Nekro may have been using sarcasm in that post. :cool:

Also: Yeah, Dance of Death is the worst Maiden artwork in the history of ever, easilly, imho.

Aristo4
09-22-2016, 07:15 PM
I could be wrong, Aristo, my friend... but I believe ol' Nekro may have been using sarcasm in that post. :cool:

Also: Yeah, Dance of Death is the worst Maiden artwork in the history of ever, easilly, imho.

Don't know, maybe he likes it so much, he's from Jupiter :p

The Educated fool
09-22-2016, 07:28 PM
lol--You've got a point there!

OpticSugar
09-22-2016, 08:01 PM
okay... I'm glad someone said something. I was biting my tongue on that one. To even mention the Dance of Death album cover among the work of Riggs made me cringe hard. That album cover ranks as low as "The Angel and the Gambler" music video. Have you seen this thing? SO embarrassing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhlRyxWU21s

ouch!

Aristo4
09-22-2016, 08:05 PM
Dance of death artwork
Angel and the gambler video
EdHunter pc game,

among the very few embarrassing things maiden related

BillLion
09-22-2016, 08:05 PM
okay... I'm glad someone said something. I was biting my tongue on that one. To even mention the Dance of Death album cover among the work of Riggs made me cringe hard. That album cover ranks as low as "The Angel and the Gambler" music video. Have you seen this thing? SO embarrassing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhlRyxWU21s

ouch!

I cannot tell you how much I hate this video and song and album.

Nekroliun
09-22-2016, 08:43 PM
Don't know, maybe he likes it so much, he's from Jupiter :p

Im actually from saturn, went to jupiter last week :)

And yes it is really unfinished, for some reason the band thought it'd be good for the cover... Still best cover ever (obvious joke)

Btw i dont think i can sleep now that i watched that music vid... The song is good but the vid is just...

Also btw, ever noticed that blaze said "dont u think im a saviour..." 21 times? Isnt that supposed to refer to the gambler? (Blackjack)

Edit no3: ED HUNTER IS GOOD GAME, ED HUNTER I LOVE

The Educated fool
09-22-2016, 09:48 PM
I dug Ed Hunter too... for what it was, it was pretty entertaining, at the time. :cool:

Nekroliun
09-23-2016, 11:50 PM
Btw if u thought the angel and the gambler's music vid was bad, check out power of the dragonflame's music video

Rhapsody really did bad with that shit...

https://youtu.be/4niQJLa_Klg

Great song though

Reeb99
10-23-2016, 10:54 AM
I used to have that on my bedroom door (facing into my bedroom). It was perfectly door-sized. Somewhere in Time was my first album as well. (I think I posted my introduction to Maiden story somewhere on this forum, but it seems to be gone now). I had a big Seventh Son poster (the art from the front/back album cover) and a giant powerslave mummy eddie black tapestry as well.

I had the poster on the side of my closet, which was right behind my bedroom door. As soon as you opened the bedroom door, there it was. I remember it freaking out my mom more than once haha.

Damn, after reading that i gotta go to atleast one maiden concert...

Also the artwork is like one of the best things IM has, the cover of number of the beast, powerslave, somewhere in time and ESPECIALLY dance of death (best cover ever) are one of the reasons many people started hearing IM!

You really do need to find a way to see them in person if you like their recordings even a little bit. They are amazeballs live. One of those rare bands that are better live than they are on a recording. So much better that it isn't even close. It's totally worth it, you won't be disappointed. Search for the South America tour video when they first used the custom Ed Force One. That will give you a taste of the real thing.

You really do... there is no band in the world that can touch Iron Maiden live!

lol--Poor old Dance of Death... that artwork gets no love at all. :cool:

Nobody comes even remotely close that I've seen. I'm a gen x'er though, so I don't really go to concerts anymore. Judas Priest and Queensryche were both very impressive live themselves, but still not up to the level of Iron Maiden. I want to see a Baby Boomer compare Maiden to the Stones live. The Stones are widely thought of as the best pop-rock concert band, and Maiden is top dog of the Hard Rock / Heavy Metal era.

The Educated fool
11-05-2016, 03:34 PM
Nobody comes even remotely close that I've seen. I'm a gen x'er though, so I don't really go to concerts anymore. Judas Priest and Queensryche were both very impressive live themselves, but still not up to the level of Iron Maiden. I want to see a Baby Boomer compare Maiden to the Stones live. The Stones are widely thought of as the best pop-rock concert band, and Maiden is top dog of the Hard Rock / Heavy Metal era.

Priest are/were amazing live! Halford is about the only metal singer I'd put as roughly equal to to Bruce in terms of vocal proficiency. :cool: Ever heard the song they did together? Check it out, if you haven't... (or check it out again, if you have!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHuqLM4f7Gk

osiris0000
11-05-2016, 03:59 PM
Those who know me can relate easily, of course POWERSLAVE!

It was more than 12 years ago, when i listened this album i got obsessed. And wanted a Powerslave t-shirt so bad. Unfortunately, there was none where i lived. So i go to a t-shirt store with my original Powerslave cassette, and told the owner i want a t-shirt with this front cover. I am glad he helped, i got a t-shirt with powerslave album cover design, photocopied from a cassette cover :)

It was quite bad picture quality, but that was my favourite t-shirt and i had it on me for looong time like a uniform :) Memories..:cool:

The Educated fool
11-05-2016, 04:12 PM
Those who know me can relate easily, of course POWERSLAVE!

It was more than 12 years ago, when i listened this album i got obsessed. And wanted a Powerslave t-shirt so bad. Unfortunately, there was none where i lived. So i go to a t-shirt store with my original Powerslave cassette, and told the owner i want a t-shirt with this front cover. I am glad he helped, i got a t-shirt with powerslave album cover design, photocopied from a cassette cover :)

It was quite bad picture quality, but that was my favourite t-shirt and i had it on me for looong time like a uniform :) Memories..:cool:

Very cool story, man! :cool: Love that DIY spirit.

My first metal t-shirt was Maiden too... Holy Smoke (I mailed for it though).

Rain88
03-11-2017, 11:43 PM
Ironically Dance of Death. It didn't turn out what I expected but it's still the album that got me into Maiden. And right now it's one of my least favorite album for them.

The Educated fool
03-12-2017, 09:02 PM
Interesting! Especially when one considers that Maiden is a band that a lot of people first got into based on the album artwork... lol :cool:

Mudge
05-14-2017, 05:43 AM
First for me was Number of the Beast. The album came out in the early 80's and I was in junior high (middle) school, which happened to be the same time that the whole Christian backward masking, rock is evil thing was going on.

Anyway, growing up in a Christian home, 0I wasn't allowed to listen to it, so, naturally, I did.

6.....6......6.....the number of the beast!!!!! F$#! parents $#@! authority $#@ 1the church!!!!1!!!1

Good times.

Tridimensionale
05-14-2017, 06:21 PM
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son. I was like fourteen and bought mostly for the album artwork xd

BenjaminBreeg
05-14-2017, 08:24 PM
My first album was brave new world...
I bought it with twelve when I started to learn English and understood the lyrics of chart music...
I didn't want to listen to that anymore and I came fast to Iron Maiden
My first song was Blood Brothers xD

The Educated fool
05-14-2017, 11:27 PM
Three great albums to come to Maiden on, I'd say! :cool:

Grim
05-15-2017, 06:33 PM
I bought Fear of The Dark when I was 17, back then Heavy Metal was somethingI didn't know at all but the artwork caught my attention.

Kardas
05-15-2017, 07:49 PM
I was edging my way into classic metal about 7 years ago. After trying out Metallica and Dream Theater I felt Iron Maiden should be next. My first CD purchase of theirs was Piece of Mind, because it's the one with The Trooper (also I didn't see NotB)
Fun album but for me Maiden didn't click with me until I listened to Live After Death and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

Patrice-1201
05-15-2017, 09:42 PM
Live After Death followed by Somewhere in Time back in 1987 🤘🏻

IceManFerrar
05-15-2017, 11:07 PM
"Fear of the Dark" back in 1996 when I was in University. Childhood's End and Afraid to Shoot Strangers were simply unbelievable.
Then when i heard 7th Son I was completely blown out of the water...Maiden fan for life now!

The Educated fool
05-16-2017, 05:48 PM
Right on. It's cool to hear that FOTD actually brought in some Maiden fans! Too often this album gets unfairly shit upon (as it were). :cool:

Rodrigo-3281
05-16-2017, 06:50 PM
My first Maiden album was NPFTD when it came out. I was 12 browsing the Tower Records (remember that chain?!) racks when I glanced at the cover artwork for this album and I immediately had to have it. I loved the album right away and quickly proceeded to get the entire back catalog. I still contend that NPFTD is the best 90's Maiden album. I know that may not be saying much but I remember way back in the early days of the Maiden BB when Bruce rejoined that it was a very unpopular opinion as many preferred TXF or FOTD over NPFTD.

The Educated fool
05-16-2017, 06:52 PM
My first Maiden album was NPFTD when it came out. I was 12 browsing the Tower Records (remember that chain?!) racks when I glanced at the cover artwork for this album and I immediately had to have it. I loved the album right away and quickly proceeded to get the entire back catalog. I still contend that NPFTD is the best 90's Maiden album. I know that may not be saying much but I remember way back in the early days of the Maiden BB when Bruce rejoined that it was a very unpopular opinion as many preferred TXF or FOTD over NPFTD.

Yeah, that album doesn't historically get much love... :cool:

IceManFerrar
05-17-2017, 04:09 PM
Right on. It's cool to hear that FOTD actually brought in some Maiden fans! Too often this album gets unfairly shit upon (as it were). :cool:

Completely agree. The album was love at first sound for me, and I have even got my wife and kids to like Maiden because of this album. FOTD will forever have a soft spot in my heart.

Cheers mate, good thread!

BonFire
05-17-2017, 04:13 PM
Flight 666 Original Soundtrack, A Matter of Life and Death, and the Somewhere Back in Time compilation. All borrowed from a buddy.

FallenAngel666
05-17-2017, 04:18 PM
My first Iron maiden Album was " Killers" it was 1988 and I was 11 yrs old...I was captured and scared by that monster on the front cover...and I wanted it,
Plus my bestie of the time was making me a big head about the " most powerful sound ever", heavy metal so I got curious to hear that.
Since that day my life changed as I listened no other music than heavy metal, few weeks later I bought the new realease of the band " seventh son of a seventh son" and I got totally conquered.....
The clairvoyant took my mind and breath and gave me emotions few other songs can give me.....( it is still my fav song...so happy I got her character from yesterday's drop) .
Then i just wanted to colect them all...I saw them live few times and I got the luck to meet Janick on the road when I was a teenager and get his autograph.
Now....I got a newborn son....and he loves to be cuddled and fall asleep to Maiden songs lol
That love started when i was 11, will never end...and I hope will go on with my next generation!

UP THE IRONS!!!

Rodrigo-3281
05-17-2017, 04:24 PM
Yeah, that album doesn't historically get much love... :cool:

No doubt and I'm pretty pumped to get that one, FOTD and TXF on vinyl this Friday.

Dank Brew
05-18-2017, 06:40 PM
First maiden song I heard...

Hallowed be thy name... Was in a skate video... Jamie Thomas.
Who can guess what video???

:D

The Educated fool
05-19-2017, 04:38 PM
@FallenAngel Congrats on pulling The Clairvoyant! It cost me nearly every Iron Coin I had, but I was delighted to pull her from the Eternity soul too! :cool: On the Maiden for babies tip: did you know that there are a bunch of Maiden (and metal, in general) lullabys out there? Easy to find on Youtube... I found a bunch, but this one, with its vid, seemed exactly crazy enough to share. :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC4WI6zDOKs

@Rodrigo Vinyl collector, huh? Right on, man! \m/

@DankBrew Jamie Thomas? Sad to say, but I got nuthin'. lol :cool:

Mariner-1212
05-19-2017, 05:40 PM
My first time hearing Maiden was with a friend, and it was Live After Death. From the first verse of Aces High I was blown away and completely hooked. I went out and grabbed every album I could afford at the time, which was two - Powerslave and Piece Of Mind. Every other album followed soon thereafter.

In an awesome relative case, my youngest son (now 10) got hooked when he found my old Number of the Beast record and threw it on. He has all my old Maiden posters (which are roughly 25 years old!) hanging in his room now. He has since decided to take guitar lessons for one purpose - to play Maiden songs, specifically The Trooper. My other son (11) is huge into the Brave New World album, hooked on Wickerman and Blood Brothers (thanks to legacy).

Now we play the albums, and all sit around playing Legacy, pumped up about who we're unlocking, etc. It would be really great if you could challenge Troopers in the PVP, something to consider down the road?

\m/

Dank Brew
05-19-2017, 07:15 PM
My first time hearing Maiden was with a friend, and it was Live After Death. From the first verse of Aces High I was blown away and completely hooked. I went out and grabbed every album I could afford at the time, which was two - Powerslave and Piece Of Mind. Every other album followed soon thereafter.

In an awesome relative case, my youngest son (now 10) got hooked when he found my old Number of the Beast record and threw it on. He has all my old Maiden posters (which are roughly 25 years old!) hanging in his room now. He has since decided to take guitar lessons for one purpose - to play Maiden songs, specifically The Trooper. My other son (11) is huge into the Brave New World album, hooked on Wickerman and Blood Brothers (thanks to legacy).

Now we play the albums, and all sit around playing Legacy, pumped up about who we're unlocking, etc. It would be really great if you could challenge Troopers in the PVP, something to consider down the road?

\m/

That's awesome! I see some of my troopers in my attack list pretty often, but I agree it would be cool to directly challenge them. But definitely keep an eye out for them lol

Tridimensionale
05-21-2017, 09:06 PM

\m/

Really nice thing man :)

Lord-7618
09-13-2017, 07:57 AM
Mine was live after death, when I was 13.. Since then Maiden is my favourite band!

aXe
09-14-2017, 06:04 PM
Blimey. There wasn't a first album but a first song, Fear of The Dark. From there it was Maiden mix tapes on my walkman to and from work.:D

TheAlbatross-1864
06-04-2018, 08:09 PM
It was either powerslave or piece of mind for me at about 15. Not sure which. From there on I really got into exploring them. I think the book of souls holds the most special place for me though as it was the first album that released after I was super into the band, and then the book of souls tour was the first time i saw them live.

Stormseye
06-04-2018, 08:35 PM
The first time I ever saw anything Maiden was my uncle's room when I was maybe 10 (he is only about 7 years older than I). It was the Number of the Beast album and he had a huge velvet poster of the same. It was so scary and cool at the same time. The first time I heard maiden though was at my cousin's house who also had a velvet Piece of Mind and Trooper posters. I would listen to the intro to Still Life over and over cause it was awesome. The first thing I ever bought though was Live After Death. My friend had lent me the tape and I played it so much I wore out the tape and had to buy two. One for him and one for me. That is when I fell in love with Maiden. Had to be 1986 or 1987. It is still my all time favorite Maiden album. I love it so much I have it tattooed on my ribcage.

Yup
06-04-2018, 09:14 PM
I didn't buy albums.. they travelled poorly. I bought cassettes so I could use my Walkman :)... imagine that.. and it was Piece of Mind when I was around 12.

Askora
06-04-2018, 09:57 PM
First album was Killers, bought Piece of Mind the day it came out.

blade685
06-04-2018, 10:46 PM
my first listened was notb

rags-6094
06-05-2018, 04:55 AM
What a bunch of old farts we all must be!
Mine was Powerslave I won a record voucher at a church disco dance event when I was 14...
That's where my life of metal began, in Particular Maiden.
There wasn't a bare patch of wall in my bedroom that didn't have an Iron Maiden poster on it including the ceiling...!

Cefiar
06-05-2018, 06:46 AM
Number of the Beast was first, but it was not long after Piece of Mind had already came out, so that was my second. All of course on cassette. :D

After a while tho I sort of fell out of the metal scene, which I think was sometime mid 1993. Was definitely after Metallica toured Aus for the Damaged Justice tour, and then the black album came out, which felt like a bit of a letdown, so that was probably the start of when I fell out of the scene (even tho around that time Fear of the Dark came out, which I had). I was in my mid-20's at this stage, and work wasn't a very metal-friendly place. :/

Then I had most of my CD's and tapes stolen from someones car, which didn't help. :(

And then about 8 yrs ago fell back into it. Mainly thanks to BangerFilms `Metal: A Headbangers Journey`, quickly followed up by `Metal Evolution` (remember seeing that in mid-2012), which suddenly dragged everything full circle cos of the use of The Trooper as the intro music. So once again I was hooked on Maiden (and metal in general). ;)

rags-6094
06-05-2018, 06:58 AM
Number of the Beast was first, but it was not long after Piece of Mind had already came out, so that was my second. All of course on cassette. :D

After a while tho I sort of fell out of the metal scene, which I think was sometime mid 1993. Was definitely after Metallica toured Aus for the Damaged Justice tour, and then the black album came out, which felt like a bit of a letdown, so that was probably the start of when I fell out of the scene (even tho around that time Fear of the Dark came out, which I had). I was in my mid-20's at this stage, and work wasn't a very metal-friendly place. :/

Then I had most of my CD's and tapes stolen from someones car, which didn't help. :(

And then about 8 yrs ago fell back into it. Mainly thanks to BangerFilms `Metal: A Headbangers Journey`, quickly followed up by `Metal Evolution` (remember seeing that in mid-2012), which suddenly dragged everything full circle cos of the use of The Trooper as the intro music. So once again I was hooked on Maiden (and metal in general). ;)

So your another old fart!

Lord-7618
06-05-2018, 07:29 AM
My first contact with maiden was the trooper video. I was 10 or 11, and I remember being in the kitchen and saw it on a small black and white TV. In those days my elder brother had his metal moment, and he introduced me into WASP (1st album), Priest (defenders of the faith) and Maiden (The trooper). But my brother only picked few songs, never full albums. Then, 2 or 3 of years after my friends and myself were into live after death and somewhere in time. But the MOMENT was when my best friend gave me as a birthday present SSOASS. That changed my life, and I started to buy all the records. I still remember the order.. powerslave, Somewhere, Killers, number, Iron maiden and maiden japan. I couldn't find Live after death, so I bought it second hand of a mate at school. How many hours I spent looking at the amazing art, the photos.. And finally I got piece of mind, brought from England by a friend (it wasn't avaiable in Spain on that moment).. Then I started to buy the records when they where released. More than 30 years after itīs still my favourite band, once a month I listen to their entire discography from the begining (Iron maiden) to the end (book of souls), saw them live 5 times and only have gratitude and love for their music..

scott-5496
06-05-2018, 10:31 AM
Well, for me, it was mate who had bought Piece of Mind on vinyl (as well as the singles) that got me into it all. I few weeks later I got the album (I was 13 I think) - not easy to get in the north of Scotland as it had dropped out of the charts a little when I got it. My mate and I took turns buying certain bands albums as we did not have enough cash to get it all each. He was very much Saxon and a little bit Scorpions and early Maiden - I got Scorpions and Maiden (and a few Saxon here and there) so it was a buying club to make sure we had everything that came out across the three bands. I also then got a lot of Dio Sabbath and Dio solo, Rainbow, Priest and the ball started to roll more when I was able to work to make some cash!

So the first Maiden album I got from new on release day was Powerslave (embossed sleeve too) as well as Aces High 12" single. Piece of mind was a few weeks after release. From Powerslave onward (Love at First Sting for Scorpions and Power and the Glory by Saxon) I bought everything released on vinyl that I could get (UK releases) though I never really liked pic discs so left them alone). Powerlsave was my first tour as well, then Somewhere in Time after that......I must say that I was never much into the Blaze era (X Factor is decent enough but just not into the vocals - Virtual XI i rarely listened to as I just did not take to it at all).

Olevipoeg
06-05-2018, 11:16 AM
Well, for me, it was mate who had bought Piece of Mind on vinyl (as well as the singles) that got me into it all. I few weeks later I got the album (I was 13 I think) - not easy to get in the north of Scotland as it had dropped out of the charts a little when I got it. My mate and I took turns buying certain bands albums as we did not have enough cash to get it all each. He was very much Saxon and a little bit Scorpions and early Maiden - I got Scorpions and Maiden (and a few Saxon here and there) so it was a buying club to make sure we had everything that came out across the three bands. I also then got a lot of Dio Sabbath and Dio solo, Rainbow, Priest and the ball started to roll more when I was able to work to make some cash!

So the first Maiden album I got from new on release day was Powerslave (embossed sleeve too) as well as Aces High 12" single. Piece of mind was a few weeks after release. From Powerslave onward (Love at First Sting for Scorpions and Power and the Glory by Saxon) I bought everything released on vinyl that I could get (UK releases) though I never really liked pic discs so left them alone). Powerlsave was my first tour as well, then Somewhere in Time after that......I must say that I was never much into the Blaze era (X Factor is decent enough but just not into the vocals - Virtual XI i rarely listened to as I just did not take to it at all).
For me it was Piece of Mind. Still the best IM album form me. The beginning of my story was very similar. Only I was living in Soviet Union occupied territory. It was first real original ( not a cheap bootleg ) vinyl I ever touched. Any decent music was very hard to get. New LP costed about half of salary you get in month on black market.

T-Man
06-05-2018, 08:51 PM
ST for me. That and especially Killers are still amongst my Maiden favorites. There is a special energy and vibe on those early records that I just love.

Muzzleloader
06-05-2018, 11:38 PM
My first experience was in 82. They were the opening band and my friend bought the cassette to know what to expect from them. I dont know how many times we listened to the beast that summer. Killers and Iron Maden albums soon followed. Clive was an excellent drummer . Unfortunately I don't remember the concert, a little to much imbibing.

rags-6094
06-07-2018, 06:56 PM
So they released IronMaiden in 79' right? Then came Killers, NotBeast in 82', Piece of mind in 83', Powerslave in 84', Somewhere in time Around 86'?, Seventh Son of a seventh son, then I lost touch a bit but I think no prayer for the dying 90', fear of the dark 92', X factor 95', I think brave new world is in there somewhere, and the others I don't know..
Anybody know the remaining ones?

Kmadd69
06-07-2018, 07:17 PM
number of the beast was the first maiden vid I watched on mtv. piece of mind was my first maiden record 83 I was 14 lol

The Educated fool
06-14-2018, 03:57 PM

I loved Headbanger's Journey too. I like to say that it is to metalheads what The Passion is to hardcore Christians. lol I often watch it to "come down" after a live metal show. I trust you've also seen the sequel, Global Metal? :cool:

MetallicA
09-10-2018, 08:22 AM
For me it was Seventh Son of the Seventh Son when I was 9 and it had just came out...

Still my favorite...

MetallicA-8309

desprezo
09-10-2018, 09:49 AM
Killers, when I was a little kid.
But my favorite is Somewhere In Time.

infinite dreamer
09-10-2018, 08:39 PM
First one I heard was Piece of Mind and I've been a fan since. (7th Son is probably my favorite, followed closely by POM, Powerslave and BNW)

GrimDusk
09-11-2018, 06:39 PM
Piece of Mind was my first; at least the trooper was. Can't remember if the trooper single or the Piece of Mind album was what I heard first.

Icarus
09-11-2018, 07:28 PM
I remember it to be either, ''Fear of the Dark'' or ''The Number of the Beast'', i was like 5 or 6 years old, in those times i didn't pay that much attention to Iron Maiden, i was very distracted with KISS and Metallica.
Just few months ago i give a try on the albums that i didn't hear that much, like ''Final Frontier'', ''Dance of Death'', ''Virtual IX'' and ''The X Factor''
I liked all of them and now my Top 3 is : ''7th son of a 7th son'', ''Piece of Mind'' and ''Final Frontier''.

The Educated fool
09-11-2018, 07:39 PM
Nice to see some action in this time-honoured thread. :cool: Since some of y'all are ranking albums here anyway, I f (http://forum.ironmaidenlegacy.com/showthread.php?490-Rank-the-Albums)igured I'd link THIS (http://forum.ironmaidenlegacy.com/showthread.php?490-Rank-the-Albums) thread, if ya feel like havin' some fun. :cool: http://forum.ironmaidenlegacy.com/showthread.php?490-Rank-the-Albums

Saigrim
09-11-2018, 10:33 PM
Piece of Mind was my first true introduction, though I vaguely remember Number of the Beast when it was first released. I believe I was a sophomore in high school. Still Life was the song that forever turned me into a lifelong fan. When I went to my first Maiden concert it was for Somewhere in Time, and still holds the record of my all time favorite concert. Though the Maiden England tour a few years ago with Megadeth was just about as f’ing awesome as it gets!

annouvis25
09-18-2018, 09:10 AM
the first album that i listen was the seventh son ... my cousin gave 2 cassetes 1 the seventh son and 2 one of mettalica that was the begining i was 13 y.o in 1995 then i was bought my first cd piece of mind

Patrice-1201
09-19-2018, 02:53 PM
Live After Death, after this I was hooked and bought somewhere in time and in release day Seventh Son

Feajy2
09-19-2018, 03:00 PM
First album: Somewhere Back in Time - The Best of: 1980 - 1989, first song: Run To The Hills. And I fall in love with Maiden's songs.

Mitch-4441
01-18-2019, 01:18 PM
First album of Maiden I ever heard was Edward the Great since I wasn't sure where to start. As far as non-greatest hits albums go I think it was Number of The Beast or Powerslave.

dragonmat89
01-18-2019, 01:36 PM
First album of Maiden I ever heard was Edward the Great since I wasn't sure where to start. As far as non-greatest hits albums go I think it was Number of The Beast or Powerslave.

Exactly the same - Edward the Great then Number of the Beast.

kgk56
01-18-2019, 03:21 PM
Somewhere in Time

Ironstyle
01-18-2019, 04:08 PM
No Prayer For The Dying

I know, I know. It's a 'garbage album' but I fucking love it. It introduced me to dual lead guitars, tempo changes, gallops...I had been previously listening to The Offspring and AC/DC at the time. Oh, and I should mention that this was about 1999-2000. I went to Brave New World after No Prayer. Funny story: I was flipping through the BNW booklet looking at the pictures of the band and thought "who's the short haired idiot? That's not that same guy that's singing on No Prayer...wait a minute..."

I went on to listen to Maiden almost exclusively for the next seven years; much to the dismay of my friends.

Edit: I can't speel