PDA

View Full Version : Horror Thread

The Educated fool
07-07-2016, 08:39 PM
So, I'm thinking there might be a few horror fans among the Maiden fans that might come to this forum... am I right? What kind of horror flicks do it for you?

The last horror movie I saw was The Conjuring 2... anyone else seen it? What did you think of it?

Vaseodin
07-10-2016, 07:05 AM
I thought it was good overall. It was far from perfect, though, and relied too much on jump scares. The director did a great job with atmosphere and overall creepyness and I feel the cheap scares took away from the overall quality. Overall I thought it was better than the first one. I just saw a pretty crazy movie on Netflix called "Come Back to Me". You should give it a try. It has some moments that take a bit away from the movie, but overall it's a fresh story with an ending that you won't see coming. I also really liked the "Skeleton Key". Very unique. What did you think of the Conjuring 2?

The Educated fool
07-10-2016, 11:47 PM
I didn't find the jump scares particularly intrusive in Conjuring 2, but they're certainly never a necessity. In all, I agree, I found it to be better than the first one, and significantly better than the spin-off, Annabelle. The scene with the painting was particularly well executed. I dug it, overall.

Come Back to Me looks interesting, based on IMDb's write-up... I shall have to check it out!

I remember seeing Skeleton Key too, and I agree, it was pretty innovative.

Kaijester
07-11-2016, 05:36 AM
The film adaption of Stephen King 1408 stuck in my memory with the radio turning on to the song "It only just begun..."

Monster flick wise, I miss Jeepers Creepers and has been hoping for a third sequel for years.

Jennie-5128
07-11-2016, 11:41 AM
I'm an OLD horror geek and love me some Hammer and Amicus. My local flicks has a once a month classic horror and scifi strand which is ace.
I love horror channel on the telly too; even though they show a lot of cheese.

My most recent thing I'm fangirling over is Ash Vs Evil Dead, which is funny and gory and has a fab soundtrack

mpsharma89
07-11-2016, 11:50 AM
i always love to watch horror movies .my most horror movie is insidious . i have seen all the parts of this franchise .all the three parts are so interesting and so innovative .
i really found them worthy.

Vaseodin
07-11-2016, 04:09 PM
I wasn't a fan of Insidious, but I do agree it was different from most of the garbage put out in the past few years. And yes, Ash vs. Evil Dead is a masterpiece.

The Educated fool
07-12-2016, 06:57 PM
I like the Insidious films too, though I do think the first one was by far the most effective.

Nothing wrong with cheesy horror movies! I wish there was a theatre that played that here... ever.

Any love for Godzilla, hereabouts?

Jennie-5128
07-12-2016, 07:39 PM
Oh yes. And King Ghidora. And Mothra the Eco Earth Mother Queen ;)

Jennie-5128
07-14-2016, 08:17 AM
Any of you lot seen a really crap Tigon movie called The Blood Beast Terror?

It stars Wanda Ventham (BenEdict CucumberPatch's mum) as a weremoth, and the various angels (pain, strife, etc.) in the game are REALLY reminding me of it

mrSaxonAcres
07-15-2016, 05:16 PM
If anyone likes fun, bloody slashers - I can't recommend the Hatchet trilogy enough. A little goofy (on purpose), with a LOT of horror movie alums and cameos.

The Educated fool
07-17-2016, 10:19 PM
Weremoth, you say? That sounds hilarious!

@Vaseodin: I checked out Come Back to Me... loved the twist! Thanks for the suggestion!

AmBush-UK
07-19-2016, 11:27 PM
I'm an OLD horror geek and love me some Hammer and Amicus. My local flicks has a once a month classic horror and scifi strand which is ace.
I love horror channel on the telly too; even though they show a lot of cheese.

My most recent thing I'm fangirling over is Ash Vs Evil Dead, which is funny and gory and has a fab soundtrack

Not really a fan of horror films but i used to watch The old Hammer films too, love watching cheese fest on horror channel too.
Love The Evil Dead Trilogy & Ash vs Evil Dead is the dogs danglies

Some of The Hellraiser Films and Nightmare on Elm Street Films are among my favorites (Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child is up there too cos i was one of the First to hear "Bring Your Daughter... to the Slaughter" before release while i was a Roadie, Bruce was listening to a playback at a open air gig in Coventry):cool:

https://youtu.be/77OQDPNV20o

Jennie-5128
07-20-2016, 10:32 AM
Ambush: to me Nightmare on Elm Street films have the opposite problem to Star Trek ones - with nightmare odd numbered ones are great and the even are rubbish; with trek it's even numbered ones that are good ;)

Educated Fool: oh it is hilarious. Best enjoyed with a bottle and some friends. The Cush does his best to take it seriously, bless him

daisu1-4294
07-21-2016, 11:43 AM
Phenomena (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_TPAmz1TI8) (1985) also known as Creepers. One of my favorites since loved Jennifer Conelly from Labyrinth. Has Iron Maiden music in it as well.

I am also a big fan of Evil Dead trilogy.

As for scary I recommend watching The Pact in nice quiet dark room and get the jibbies~

The Educated fool
07-21-2016, 06:10 PM
Any love here for The Babadook?

Jennie-5128
07-21-2016, 10:16 PM
Oooo yes very much so EdFool :)
I can see you are a connoisseur :)

The Educated fool
07-22-2016, 09:01 PM
I didn't know what to expect from that one, but I ended up loving it. Great atmosphere!

Jennie-5128
07-31-2016, 09:13 PM
Because it's Sunday and Sunday is a day for Hokey stuff I'm watching Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstien. It's VERY silly. :)

The Educated fool
08-01-2016, 08:43 PM
Classic stuff!

The Educated fool
10-19-2016, 08:14 PM
Couldn't call it a horror, per se... but they called it a thriller, and as OP, I say close enough. :cool: Checked out The Girl on the Train last night, and I'm honestly not sure, even now, if I liked it or not. It was definitely interesting though, and something different is always nice... especially where Hollywood is concerned.

Reeb99
10-19-2016, 08:26 PM
Flatliners. That movie seriously freaked me out. Butterfly Effect was close.

OpticSugar
10-19-2016, 08:29 PM
If anyone is a fan of the original Evil Dead films (+ Army of Darkness)... you should really check out "Ash vs. The Evil Dead" series on Starz. It is so fucking good! Completely over the top gore (and they just keep pushing the boundaries until it becomes funny), and you will laugh your ass off. Seriously, the writing on that show is just pitch perfect and stays true to the original films while taking it to the next level with each episode. As far as entertainment is concerned, I couldn't have been more entertained. They are now three episodes in to the second season. Starring of course, Bruce Campbell... directed / produced by Sam Rami... a lot of the same people that worked on the original films are involved.

I hope it goes on forever.

The Educated fool
10-19-2016, 08:37 PM
I love The Butterfly Effect... impossible though the premise may be, the atmosphere of that movie can't be denied! It's been a long time since I saw Flatliners, but I remember enjoying it.

As far as Ash vs Evil Dead... I love the original movies, so I actually bought the first season on DVD sight-unseen on strong word of mouth and was not at all disappointed. I agree... it's just like the films, and that is pretty damn cool! :cool:

The Educated fool
10-21-2016, 05:36 PM
Anyone seen any good horror movies lately?

Nekroliun
10-21-2016, 08:26 PM
My brother saw that wierd movie about that blind war veteran (i think), that is hunting a bunch of people who are robbing his house... he told me that it was the stupidest idea for a movie ever! A blind man successfully manages to destroy 4(?) thief like it was nothing...

The Educated fool
10-21-2016, 09:10 PM
Don't Breathe, hmm? The trailer looked good, but I haven't seen it yet. With horror especially, improbable plotlines are to be expected. You didn't go with him?

Nekroliun
10-21-2016, 09:36 PM
Don't Breathe, hmm? The trailer looked good, but I haven't seen it yet. With horror especially, improbable plotlines are to be expected. You didn't go with him?

Nope, not a big horror fan, and yes it is dont breath and yes horrors usually have shit stories nowadays...

But i did watch the original "the thing" a couple of days ago... now i cant trust my dog... or every living being...

The Educated fool
10-21-2016, 09:45 PM
lol!--Your dog, you can trust! Your Rocket Dog, I'd keep my eye on... :p

vhkiumy1995
10-22-2016, 07:32 AM
Yes I love horror movie.

The Educated fool
10-23-2016, 10:58 PM
Anyone see the new Blair Witch movie? I'm still curious about it...

The Educated fool
10-28-2016, 05:18 AM
Checked out the new Ouija movie the other day... it's MUCH better than the first one, imo. :cool: