PDA

View Full Version : Let's be honest about AOE vs Single attack

Vaseodin
09-13-2016, 11:08 PM
Ok, so there are some great characters in early game that quickly get overshadowed because they have single attack vs. others that do AOE damage. Let's be honest, there is no method to the madness when it comes to the difference between single attack and AOE damage (as far as I can tell). The top AOE from a class can dish out maybe a couple hundred points of damage less than single damage attackers of the same class (this means total damage dealt across the board is always going to be greater with AOE attackers).

I'm not saying this needs a fix or complaining about it. Just an observation. Any character that is pretty good and does single damage will almost always be outdone by one that does AOE damage. If you don't believe me, check anyone's list of top characters and I guarantee you all (if not most) will be AOE damage dealers. It's just too bad it works this way. If a single attacker does, say 50-100% more damage than the top AOE damagers, I think balance would be more feasable. As it stands it looks like AOE damage is king by a thousand miles.

CapnFantasy
09-13-2016, 11:46 PM
Agreed, to the point where I've been toying with a heavy magic build for my Pharaoh Eddie. His weakest attack is an AOE attack that deals low level magic damage. The typical build is straight health talismans. If one were to boost this with blue talismans and use a pharaoh dog king there could be interesting results.

My favorite single attack character remains Wickerdog King with his buff steal though. He's an unsung troll killer. It's times like this when I look forward to the arena. If it ever materializes.

The Educated fool
09-14-2016, 12:11 AM
100% agreed, and with the scarcity of 3* evo shards, I wouldn't even consider leveling a single character attacker, personally... though the Capn's comment has me intrigued about Wicker Dog King now... :cool:

Shifter
09-14-2016, 12:17 AM
Wicker Dog King is great, I prefer him over Green Allied, mainly because the rest of the crew is red and have Red Rocket. It is one of the few I have considered taking past 80.

The Educated fool
09-14-2016, 12:19 AM
The next time I stumble across one again, I shall lock him up. :cool:

vgta99
09-14-2016, 11:01 AM
Axis Soldier (assassin) is a powerfull single attacker, he can damage until 1748x4=6992 (5* lvl 100 and all 5* talimans) in a single attack and with one another fellow to increase accuracy, he give extra turn nearly always...

podstrahuy
09-14-2016, 12:10 PM
vgta99, it's a lot of damage, but let's compare with my Golden Son (assassin) - he hits 1200x3 (no class advantage) with crits that happens almost every attack = ~4800 AOE damage (5* lvl 100 and only 4 talismans are 5*, still can be much stronger). It's ~19200 damage for 4 enemies and ~24000 damage for Lord of Light 5 enemies. It's much more damage.
But yes, extra turn is a great bonus!

Olevipoeg
09-14-2016, 01:22 PM
I prefered AOE ... Until I got Red Angel which gives extra turn to everybody for first kill.

BillLion
09-14-2016, 01:28 PM
I prefered AOE ... Until I got Red Angel which gives extra turn to everybody for first kill.

I think that's it -there has to be a special reason to go with the single damage character. EX: Warrior COTD -he's a beast since every kill gets him another turn. This is so helpful on autoplay -especially somewhere like the magus time rift dungeons. Also allied general is single attack but his buffs enhance my team so I usually select him over my 5* allied soldier which has AOE and of course his amazing shields.

That said I have several single damage character I won't bother with because they don't have any passives and/or buffs to add more value.

aur0ra85
09-14-2016, 03:55 PM
This is all true; but where the single target damage dealers begin to shine is against bosses.

Enti
09-14-2016, 04:01 PM
This is all true; but where the single target damage dealers begin to shine is against bosses.

*inserts thank you gif*

Vaseodin
09-14-2016, 04:23 PM

True. That is one of the best uses for single damage.

Vgta99 said: "Axis Soldier (assassin) is a powerfull single attacker, he can damage until 1748x4=6992 (5* lvl 100 and all 5* talimans) in a single attack and with one another fellow to increase accuracy, he give extra turn nearly always..."

This is great against a boss, but as podstrahuy said, it pales in comparison when fighting 4 or 5 baddies at once. Your character that does close to 7k to one character pales in comparison to an AOE character that does 4k per hit. against 5 opponents, that would mean 20k damage. And, you mitigate attacks against you by killing everyone at once, which will help you beat the stage vs potentially losing it.

Nekroliun
09-14-2016, 05:19 PM
Damn i have to agree, look at the axis commander and the alliance general! Pretty sure like 98% would want the axis com over the allies general, but the general has an amazing ability and can stea fury and energy, his ability gives perfect hit, crit chance, and physical charge (i think) for 2 turns.

And want an amazing single target ally? Try the nomad...

Enti
09-14-2016, 05:23 PM
4 turns if pumped with skill shards xD I've been chasing the nomad ever since I tried one of my trooper's. No luck yet, but I have a samurai eddie and an alliance general, so I got that going for me, which is nice

OpticSugar
09-14-2016, 05:31 PM
Damn i have to agree, look at the axis commander and the alliance general! Pretty sure like 98% would want the axis com over the allies general, but the general has an amazing ability and can stea fury and energy, his ability gives perfect hit, crit chance, and physical charge (i think) for 2 turns.

yeah, I just realized recently that my Allied General steals power and/or fury from the enemy... so I've been using him strategically to maximize this perk. For instance, Let's say I have two enemies left, each with only a sliver of health left, and I have two allies available to attack, one with an AoE attack and my Allied General... The AoE attack could easily wipe out both enemies with one attack, but I have to stop myself and use the Allied General on one of them first so he can (potentially) steal me some energy and/or fury! This strategy never really crossed my mind before but it really makes a difference in the long run.

BillLion
09-14-2016, 05:32 PM

So true. I still want the axis commander but I did get the allied general. He constantly grabs power and fury allowing my pharaoh eddie to keep everyone invincible and to allow special moves to keep flowing. Not to mention his special of crit hits manages to up the damage ante. Still want that axis commander though! ;)

OpticSugar
09-14-2016, 05:39 PM
Here's where the single target characters really make a big difference for me. You can use the single target characters to focus fire on one enemy to make sure he goes down. Often times the single target attacks are the difference between killing an enemy, rather than just weakening 5 enemies. If it's a close match, having 4 enemies attack you the next round is much better than having 5 enemies attack you... and if the enemies heal themselves between rounds, it can go on for a long time if you don't kill at least one each round. Weakened enemies hit just as hard as enemies with full health... dead enemies are harmless (unless of course they can revive).

my two cents

The Educated fool
09-14-2016, 06:04 PM
You've got a good point there, OS. Sometimes, dead is better. :cool:

aur0ra85
09-14-2016, 08:25 PM
For the rifts I generally like to run 3/4 characters that do AOE and the last character is single target damage and hits like a freight train (purple harpy, samurai Eddie). One healer, one tank, and sometimes the characters are dual purpose.

PsychoEddie
09-15-2016, 01:26 AM
Here's where the single target characters really make a big difference for me. You can use the single target characters to focus fire on one enemy to make sure he goes down. Often times the single target attacks are the difference between killing an enemy, rather than just weakening 5 enemies. If it's a close match, having 4 enemies attack you the next round is much better than having 5 enemies attack you... and if the enemies heal themselves between rounds, it can go on for a long time if you don't kill at least one each round. Weakened enemies hit just as hard as enemies with full health... dead enemies are harmless (unless of course they can revive).

Yes, this is one of the reasons I like having a mix available. For example, I want AOEs but at the same time if there is an enemy healer, taking it to *almost* dead can be a big problem with ALL of the enemies getting a new round at renewed high health.

I can often knock down the enemy team's damage potential by ~20-25% by taking out one team member and far more if that happens to a be their lone healer/shielder.

Nekroliun
09-15-2016, 05:46 AM
alliance general is much better imo than the commander (IMO), but he relies on rng too much, lets say i want to get energy to vanish someone in my team with nomad's ability, usually i got a really high chance to get it because when i have lets say 6 energy, i can just use soldier eddie's 100% generate energy and chance for extra turn, but why should i waste a precious eddie turn when i can just use alliance general's basic! Then i use The nomad's vanish and nobody gets the buff ��

And his ability is amazing, just use it and then use samurai's fury and get ready for some dmg... Or use ronin's slash, that deals a shit ton of dmg with the crit buff, physical charge and LIFE STEAL, and my nomad that has 4* firece talisman and 1 5* overwhelming can deal dmg up to 25k with that buff...