PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or is hallowed be thy name overrated?

Nekroliun
10-07-2016, 03:11 PM
Idk, i have mixed feelings about it... i agree that its an outstanding song, but no1? And not only no1 IM song... if you search for the best heavy metal songs HBTN would be no1... its prob just me, or just cuz im wierd...

I always say this, i keep questioning a song's fame and glory, happened when i first heard powerslave (and it still happens...), i doubt the song till i hear it again, and after i hear it i remember how great it is... but idk i always doubted HBTY... The instrumental part is great, the vocals are amazing (ofc they are...), but it just isnt enough for me...

Its prob just me...

Kaijester
10-07-2016, 03:35 PM
It's just you. Hallowed by thy name is a masterpiece.

FlyingV
10-07-2016, 03:36 PM
Agreed... Your sensibilities are unmistakably off regarding this.

Nekroliun
10-07-2016, 03:38 PM
Thought so...

The Educated fool
10-07-2016, 04:26 PM
It is definitely just you... but you gotta be you.

OpticSugar
10-07-2016, 04:41 PM
totally confirmed... it's just you Nekroliun.

Nekroliun
10-07-2016, 04:43 PM
I guess that sums it up... its me! I knew i was special all along! Thanks guys for letting me know! Now i know how special i am! Knowing that im the only one that doesnt think that HBTY is no1 makes me a special snowflake! Now... Worship me!

The Educated fool
10-07-2016, 04:48 PM
Nah man... it ain't Hallowed be YOUR name! :p

Nekroliun
10-07-2016, 04:48 PM
Nah man... it ain't Hallowed be YOUR name! :p

So my name is hallowed? I guess imma chamge my account name to hallowed...

The Educated fool
10-07-2016, 05:08 PM
What part of ain't don't you understand? :cool: (Ain't it not good enough English for ya? :p )

Nekroliun
10-07-2016, 05:19 PM
What part of ain't don't you understand? :cool: (Ain't it not good enough English for ya? :p )

I dont understand what aint means cuz i talk english... and that is not an actuall word

The Educated fool
10-07-2016, 05:21 PM
"lol" is now an "actual" word... but what is an "actual" word, exactly? Who defines words? Once there's an accepted definition, the word exists as validly as any other, like it or not. It "ain't" rocket surgery. :p

Nekroliun
10-07-2016, 05:29 PM
"lol" is now an "actual" word... but what is an "actual" word, exactly? Who defines words? Once there's an accepted definition, the word exists as validly as any other, like it or not. It "ain't" rocket surgery. :p

I like it! Rocket surgery! (Is that an actual thing?)

Also... "why" are you "using" "quotations" on alot of "words" "?"

The Educated fool
10-07-2016, 05:32 PM
To call their legitimacy into question, my friend. The rocket surgery line I borrowed from Don Cherry, I believe... that's who I attribute it to anyway, and where I heard it.

Nekroliun
10-07-2016, 05:36 PM
To call their legitimacy into question, my friend. The rocket surgery line I borrowed from Don Cherry, I believe... that's who I attribute it to anyway, and where I heard it.

Its hopeless... you dont have a chance against my power! The power of kellogg's cocopops!

The Educated fool
10-07-2016, 05:39 PM
An awesome force indeed...

Nekroliun
10-07-2016, 05:42 PM
An awesome force indeed...

Aw you dont need to compliment the power of Kellogg and his amazing cereal!

The Educated fool
10-07-2016, 05:43 PM
No one ever needs to... but few can resist! :cool:

Demoonchild
10-07-2016, 05:48 PM
Idk, i have mixed feelings about it... i agree that its an outstanding song, but no1? And not only no1 IM song... if you search for the best heavy metal songs HBTN would be no1... its prob just me, or just cuz im wierd...

I always say this, i keep questioning a song's fame and glory, happened when i first heard powerslave (and it still happens...), i doubt the song till i hear it again, and after i hear it i remember how great it is... but idk i always doubted HBTY... The instrumental part is great, the vocals are amazing (ofc they are...), but it just isnt enough for me...

Its prob just me...

Since you "said" in another thread that you didn't know Ronnie James Dio, your musical concerns are no matter to be discussed...not at all!!

Aristo4
10-07-2016, 05:52 PM
I've ordered this song to play on my funeral...so its you.

Aristo4
10-07-2016, 05:53 PM
Since you "said" in another thread that you didn't know Ronnie James Dio, your musical concerns are no matter to be discussed...not at all!!

he deserves a 1 month ban just for that. :cool:

The Educated fool
10-07-2016, 05:54 PM
1368 :cool:

Nekroliun
10-07-2016, 05:57 PM
Yes ban me! Free me from this prison that is called the legacy of the beast forums! Its a curse that has fallen upon me 3 months ago! HEEEEAAAAAAAALP

Demoonchild
10-07-2016, 05:57 PM
1368 :cool:

Hahaha I just LMFAO....!!!

Hypnos
10-07-2016, 06:04 PM
I don't get it. You complain the song is overrated without giving a reason yet you expect people to discuss this?

Nekroliun
10-07-2016, 06:11 PM
I don't get it. You complain the song is overrated without giving a reason yet you expect people to discuss this?

Yes, yes i did, im nekro, you should expect my threads to make no sense and still i'd post them....

Demoonchild
10-07-2016, 06:17 PM
Yes, yes i did, im nekro, you should expect my threads to make no sense and still i'd post them....

Where I from, this mental issue is known as "Attentional needs disorder"...

Nekroliun
10-07-2016, 06:47 PM
Where I from, this mental issue is known as "Attentional needs disorder"...

Idk what that means but ok...

OpticSugar
10-07-2016, 06:56 PM

He's obviously trolling us.

Nekroliun
10-07-2016, 06:58 PM

Depends how you define trolling... i define it as making a useless random thread that serves no pirpose what so ever (which i do... alot)

Imo this isnt trolling cuz i was putting my opinion mixed with useless shit (as always) in a post which described my opinion iin a song

And if trolling means that i actually didnt mean what i said... i did

Hypnos
10-07-2016, 09:47 PM

My money's on attention seeking 15 year old

slauki
10-07-2016, 10:02 PM
i will jump in and agree, yes it's just you nekro...don't worry you're just weird, as you mentioned itself...so at least you recognize it, that's why there might be some hope for you...

and yeah i'm with hypnos...put my money also on the "attention seeking teenager"...

and if we jump on it, like we do, we just make things worse...

BillLion
10-07-2016, 10:17 PM

I was going to write something almost identical to this, but here you go...Kaijester is 100% correct.

PerthEddie
10-08-2016, 01:48 AM

The thread ended with this comment :)

AppleJuice
10-08-2016, 02:24 AM

Its prob just me...

Definitely just you man, the riffs from HBTN have got to be some of my favorite Maiden riffs

Ancient Mariner
10-08-2016, 12:23 PM
this.
Why do i have to think of so many other things to say to be (h)allowed to post?

OdoyleRules007
10-08-2016, 12:39 PM
Check out Machine Head's version.

MetalWarrior
10-08-2016, 04:34 PM
This thread is a decoy,spammer bots hired him. ;)

Spambot9274
10-08-2016, 04:38 PM
Shit they know its us! Quickly, eliminate the spy!

Nekroliun
10-08-2016, 04:40 PM

Wait... no don't... WE HAD A DEAL!

NO! Eugh... *dies from an orbital strike*

The Educated fool
10-08-2016, 06:14 PM

Hehehe. Cute.

Witkacy
10-11-2016, 02:21 PM
Everybody loves & play the song - even them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB7aUMjl7Xo

So, the answer is: NO

:)

FilipMurray
12-02-2016, 12:01 PM
Masterpiece!

druid138
02-14-2019, 07:27 PM
This thread was slightly before my time joining the Forum, but I love re-reading it every once in awhile. Since the game is in maintenance, I figured I'd finally give my two cents, for whatever it's worth.

Of course Hallowed Be Thy Name is a masterpiece. I realized that when I first heard it at age 12. I remember evenings after school, listening to that song maybe a dozen times a day, rewinding the cassette after each one.

Nekroliun
02-14-2019, 07:36 PM
This thread was slightly before my time joining the Forum, but I love re-reading it every once in awhile. Since the game is in maintenance, I figured I'd finally give my two cents, for whatever it's worth.

Of course Hallowed Be Thy Name is a masterpiece. I realized that when I first heard it at age 12. I remember evenings after school, listening to that song maybe a dozen times a day, rewinding the cassette after each one.

Its pretty good, but idk, never really saw it as a masterpiece, that would prob be rime of the ancient mariner for me. But yea, i *evolved* my tastes, and i do have to say, this sure was one of my most controversial shitposts.

Ironstyle
02-14-2019, 07:39 PM
Sure, it's a masterpiece.

Not my favorite maiden song though. It MAY be in my top 5, but that's a hard maybe. They have so many other masterpieces that it's hard to decide!

Unpopular opinion: No Prayer For The Dying is a good album.

druid138
02-14-2019, 07:47 PM
Sure, it's a masterpiece.

Not my favorite maiden song though. It MAY be in my top 5, but that's a hard maybe. They have so many other masterpieces that it's hard to decide!

Totally agree on that. Identifying a single best Maiden song is an impossible task.

Ironstyle
02-14-2019, 07:55 PM
The Thin Line Between Love and Hate is a masterpiece I feel no one ever talks about. The solo at the end...fuckin' A, man.

Saigrim
02-14-2019, 07:59 PM
Yes. Hallowed Be Thy Name and Rime of the Ancient Mariner are without a doubt my favorites. When these come on Ozzy's Boneyard when the wife and I are going somewhere she always gets a kick out me when I state "Oh, hell yeah" and crank the car stereo up.

But, The Man who Would Be King strikes some kind of deep cord with me and I can't get enough of that song either.

kkkreg5
02-14-2019, 08:03 PM
https://forum.ironmaidenlegacy.com/showthread.php?490-Rank-the-Albums/page11

Rank your favorite 20 songs and discuss...

Nekroliun
02-14-2019, 08:09 PM
The Man who Would Be King strikes some kind of deep cord with me and I can't get enough of that song either.

I have to agree on that one, i absolutely love the man who would be king.

Also, holy shit this thread is alive again

druid138
02-14-2019, 08:12 PM
https://forum.ironmaidenlegacy.com/showthread.php?490-Rank-the-Albums/page11

Rank your favorite 20 songs and discuss...

I saw that, felt tempted for a second, and then promptly walked away to preserve my sanity.

Nekroliun
02-14-2019, 08:14 PM
I saw that, felt tempted for a second, and then promptly walked away to preserve my sanity.

Its too hard to rank them. I personally just put up the songs i most listen to, and in general prefer over anything else when listening to music

druid138
02-14-2019, 08:16 PM
Its too hard to rank them. I personally just put up the songs i most listen to, and in general prefer over anything else when listening to music

Even that seems like testing the Fates somehow . . . I'll think about it.

Nekroliun
02-14-2019, 08:20 PM
Even that seems like testing the Fates somehow . . . I'll think about it.

It certainly does feel like your betraying some other songs by not putting them on the list lmao. Almost every IM song in general is great, and id rather listen to them than most other bands usually, unless im looking for something specific.

Zantarath
02-26-2019, 05:51 AM
eah not just you
Rime of the ancient mariner got to me after listening it to 3 times
i fall inlove with Powerslave half way through
Hallowed be thy name is good song but i still havent started loving it(but i'm feeling the conversion)

HeadOnFire
02-28-2019, 03:53 AM
Hallowed Be Thy Name is an amazing song and definitely one of my favorites, but I think it's a mistake to try to "rank" the songs of any great band, especially one as long-lived as Iron Maiden. When somebody asks me my favorite Maiden song, I pretty much just start listing titles -- because, the truth is, I have lots of favorites. Hallowed is certainly one of them, but so is Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Die With Your Boots On, Infinite Dreams, Look for the Truth, The Educated Fool, Ghost of the Navigator, Blood Brothers, Dance of Death, The Legacy, and I'm just going to stop now. Truth is, my favorite is whichever of my "favorites" I am currently listening to. Each album has at least one or two songs (but usually more) that really grab hold of me every time I listen, and most of those songs do so in a different way so that I can't consider any one of them to be "better" than the others.