PDA

View Full Version : Where are the Spam Police?

Nicko
10-16-2016, 05:31 PM
Certainly the most pressing issue around here is getting the update out, but the spam on these boards is getting out of control!

PsychoEddie
10-16-2016, 07:17 PM
Certainly the most pressing issue around here is getting the update out, but the spam on these boards is getting out of control!

On any particular forum board there are those who repeatedly complain and whine about whatever they can and they spam it all over numerous topics, even those that have nothing to do with what they're spamming about.

There's not much that can be done but that realize you're far better off than the people who are stuck with them in real life. That must be pure hell on earth!

It really sucks to be those other people, keep that in mind, and it makes the spam insignificant in comparison :)

Hypnos
10-16-2016, 07:25 PM
The mods are doing a very poor job with regards to spam recently

Aristo4
10-16-2016, 07:34 PM
The owners are the doing the poor job. Kaijester the Holy,helps on deleting crap, but cant be here all day.

slauki
10-16-2016, 07:44 PM
The owners are the doing the poor job. Kaijester the Holy,helps on deleting crap, but cant be here all day.

fully agree, kaijester for president :-)

MetalWarrior
10-16-2016, 08:02 PM

since any stupid can run for presidency nowadays,that position isn't sign of respect any longer.

slauki
10-16-2016, 08:33 PM
since any stupid can run for presidency nowadays,that position isn't sign of respect any longer.

#metalwarriorforpresident :-D

Ringe666-7406
10-16-2016, 08:49 PM
since any stupid can run for presidency nowadays

Nekro for president :D

Nicko
10-16-2016, 09:14 PM

Agree! We already have two jesters running - a third would be perfect!

MetalWarrior
10-16-2016, 09:31 PM
Agree! We already have two jesters running - a third would be perfect!

haha! as soon kaijester is coming online,he will strike you with his power of MEME.

Kaijester
10-16-2016, 11:48 PM
Sadly I need to sleep....I really don't want to bother about these spams but seeing how rough the game team is going thru, I'll help by deleting some.

AmBush-UK
10-17-2016, 12:16 AM
vbulletin comes with many features Including:

Captcha
Email Verification
Login "Strike" System

Doesn't make sense that they are not being used :confused:, Oh well Keeps Kaijester off the streets lol

Aristo4
10-18-2016, 11:27 PM

Captcha
Email Verification
Login "Strike" System

Doesn't make sense that they are not being used :confused:, Oh well Keeps Kaijester off the streets lol

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

For gods shake I'm more angry with that than any update on this game.

Sparton_LOTB
10-19-2016, 12:05 AM

Captcha
Email Verification
Login "Strike" System

Captcha is already enabled for account creation.
Email Verification won't stop anyone who actually wants to create a spam account; it just makes it slightly longer to do the whole process and/or requires more throwaway email accounts.
Login "Strike" System is to prevent people from trying to brute force someone else's account to post on their behalf; it wouldn't help in this case (and I believe it's already enabled?..).

Trust me, no one likes spam. Even I've been pitching in to sweep it away (and ban accounts/IPs) as it appears. However, we're already using much of what vbulletin supplies, and it can only go so far when it's such a popular platform.

Kaijester
10-19-2016, 12:36 AM
Wow so the spam has been making pass captcha?

Aristo4
10-19-2016, 12:51 AM
Trust me, no one likes spam. Even I've been pitching in to sweep it away (and ban accounts/IPs) as it appears. However, we're already using much of what vbulletin supplies, and it can only go so far when it's such a popular platform.

Well, sorry just wanted to remind you, in case what was to be done, wasn't :cool:
Since that's the case, i'd volunteer nuking them as they appear many times a day, given that's possible...really get on my nerves ;)

MetalWarrior
10-19-2016, 01:41 AM
so,you are saying,these are not bots! accounts are created by human,then posting spam! that's possible ,not probable.

Let's agree for the sake of troubelshooting,these are human activities,even that can be handled in many different ways,
you can restrict post to a certain section,for a certain number of posts before they can posts in other part of the forum.
you can exclude these section from indexing,
you can make 'new register member' group into a very restricted setting,until a certain post count (ie: if they are allowed to post url or not)

I mean,if you think twice,you can come up with several different ideas to resolve this just with built-in feature of vbulletin ,even without installing any tweak/mods.
i might have given away few other clues in previous threads..anyway i'm just saying.. :p

Kaijester
10-19-2016, 01:58 AM
Sigh...gonna switch off the email alert.

MetalWarrior
10-19-2016, 02:52 AM
Sigh...gonna switch off the email alert.

lol,now i have to watch office space again..
hey! even if the first few posts requires approval from moderator (you), even it is better than deleting spam. :p

Nekroliun
10-19-2016, 01:24 PM
haha! as soon kaijester is coming online,he will strike you with his power of MEME.

Nekro for president :D

First of all hail lord nekroliun

Second of all is pretty sure captcha is enabled... pretty sure i did a crap ton of those while making my alt accounts...

Also... dont ban my alts or i will rain death upon u