PDA

View Full Version : Best blaze songs...

Nekroliun
10-22-2016, 09:03 AM
THE BEST BLAZE SONG EVER IS THE CLANSMAN, wanted to say when two worlds collide but the clansman is pretty much better in everything...

GIVE ME UR OPINION

Reeb99
10-22-2016, 11:21 AM
Who?

/10 chars

Witkacy
10-22-2016, 07:49 PM
Nekro :)

It depends of what we're talking about... Blaze's songs in general or those he did with Wolfsbane and Maiden or at last his songs from his solo albums... So please be more specific :) For now I can tell you that Blaze is a great vocalist and he did (again - dunno: wrote, sang?) many amazing stuff...

Nekroliun
10-22-2016, 07:55 PM

It depends of what we're talking about... Blaze's songs in general or those he did with Wolfsbane and Maiden or at last his songs from his solo albums... So please be more specific :) For now I can tell you that Blaze is a great vocalist and he did (again - dunno: wrote, sang?) many amazing stuff...

Now this is what i like to hear! Give Blaze more love! He deserves it!

And btw i be talking about the maiden blaze era

AppleJuice
10-22-2016, 08:35 PM
Futureal has to be one of my favorite blaze songs :)

Reeb99
10-23-2016, 01:13 AM
In my mind, Maiden didn't exist when they moved away from Bruce. Bruce is and always will be the voice of the REAL Iron Maiden. Not to mention the pilot of Ed Force One.

Demoonchild
10-23-2016, 01:19 AM
Blaze sings horrid... being a good singers listener all my life, and he Sxcks.... anyway all the song's of Maiden era with him are great ones... I have ever wonder what if Harris would have Choose Doogie White or Michael Kiske when Dickinson left...

Aristo4
10-23-2016, 10:01 AM
I still love the x-factor, maybe cause this was the first new album when I got into maiden, and my first show was on x-factor tour :p

Anyway, he is not a horrid singer in my book, its more maiden never adjusted to fit him. And if Steve never intended to change the construction of the songs to fit him then he should have never chosen Blaze in the first place. Songs that fit him in the maiden era + his solo albums over the years prove he is not so crap as people think.

Reeb99
10-23-2016, 10:32 AM
Word is that they moved on from Bruce because they thought he wasn't "bringing it anymore"; when in my opinion the whole band needed to recharge. They just weren't the same at the time. When I heard they brought back Bruce, I was pretty excited. Then the whole Ed Force One thing happened. How freaking awesome is that? Sometimes crappy things happen only to make way for even better things to come.

Aristo4
10-23-2016, 10:36 AM
Hmm, I think bruce was the one who wanted to leave for years prior to his departure. He even was about to quit many times in the 80's too.

Plus he said himself he quit, no one sent him out :cool:

Reeb99
10-23-2016, 11:08 AM
Hmm, I think bruce was the one who wanted to leave for years prior to his departure. He even was about to quit many times in the 80's too.

Plus he said himself he quit, no one sent him out :cool:

That's interesting. I read the opposite in a story about how Ed Force One came about. That story said the band wanted to move on without him, so Bruce used the time to get his pilot's license since he was a big fan of WWII pilot stories.

Rumor has it that the first commercial jet to take off from the New York area post 9/11, one Bruce Dickinson was the pilot of. Then since he already had a commercial jumbo jet license when he rejoined the band, they kicked around the idea of getting their own jet so they could more easily visit areas of the world that were harder to organize tours to at the time. It was a really good read.

Aristo4
10-23-2016, 11:19 AM
yep, but these were years after he left the band in 1993.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBkaby40E_4

Steve: I have read that he wanted to get up and have a jam sometime, which is a bit daft to tell you the truth. Bruce left because he didn't want to be part of this anymore. He said he felt 'musically inhibited'. What annoys me to this day is that, when he did leave, he basically went to every magazine in the world and said bad things about Iron Maiden. He cited reasons for leaving that had never been discussed at band meeting and that got to me. Bruce was in the band for nearly 12 years and I don't think we deserved that kind of treatment from him.

quote from 1998.

He was about to quit altogether in 1984-85 after the massive Powerslave tour where he was exhausted, also after Somewhere in time, with a different musical bug going into his head. His first solo albums later suggest he was somewhere else musically :cool:

OpticSugar
10-23-2016, 04:05 PM
I'm so glad that they all put their differences aside, swallowed their pride, and gave it another shot. I feel that now having gone through that experience has made their bond even stronger.

The Educated fool
10-23-2016, 06:42 PM
The best Blaze song is the one covered (read: rescued :cool: ) by Bruce on a live album. There's nothing wrong with Blaze's voice, imho... he's just not Maiden. :cool:

Witkacy
10-23-2016, 10:09 PM
Blaze sings horrid... being a good singers listener all my life, and he Sxcks.... anyway all the song's of Maiden era with him are great ones... I have ever wonder what if Harris would have Choose Doogie White or Michael Kiske when Dickinson left...

Demoon :)

That wouldn't ever happen... In one of the interviews 'Arry clearly spoke about the subject - that Iron Maiden is an English band - always was and always will be - so any potential cadidates to replace Bruce must be also the Englishmen - so that's why he wouldn't offer a job to Doogie White, Michael Kiske, or Joey Belladonna for example - no matter how good they would be and fit to the band with their vocals and singing styles... Even more - Harris didn't look for clone of Dickinson either - despite of many guys that went for auditions more or less successfully coped with the songs... One way or another there's a kind of logic in that approach - when Di'Anno was fired - he wasn't looking for another Di'Anno-like vocalist...

Aristo4
10-23-2016, 10:11 PM
The best Blaze song is the one covered (read: rescued :cool: ) by Bruce on a live album. There's nothing wrong with Blaze's voice, imho... he's just not Maiden. :cool:

sign of the cross? clansman? futureal? lord of the flies?

Witkacy
10-23-2016, 10:23 PM
yep, but these were years after he left the band in 1993.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBkaby40E_4

quote from 1998.

He was about to quit altogether in 1984-85 after the massive Powerslave tour where he was exhausted, also after Somewhere in time, with a different musical bug going into his head. His first solo albums later suggest he was somewhere else musically :cool:

Aristo :)

That's right - Dickinson was totally flattened after the World Slavery Tour - he was fed up with everything - touring, singing, writing music... He was already thinking about his solo career then, writing books etc. That's why he didn't came up in particular with any ideas for the new songs - all work was done by Mr. Harris and Mr. Smith... Dickinson while asked someday if he likes ''Somewhere In Time'' album said - no - and if he could decide - he wouldn't be singing any songs off this album at all...

Aristo4
10-23-2016, 10:25 PM
Dickinson while asked someday if he likes ''Somewhere In Time'' album said - no - and if he could decide - he wouldn't be singing any songs off this album at all...

I'm sure he changed his mind after 20 years though :cool:

Witkacy
10-23-2016, 10:29 PM
I'm sure he changed he changed his mind after 20 years though :cool:

I suppose that his ego was hurting badly with the fact, he didn't wrtite anything on that particular album - and that's why it has to be ''bad'' :)

The Educated fool
10-23-2016, 10:39 PM
sign of the cross? clansman? futureal? lord of the flies?

Don't forget Man on the Edge. :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsfFEHqgghY

And of those, The Clansman gets my vote, pretty easily.

Aristo4
10-23-2016, 10:52 PM
Don't forget Man on the Edge. :cool:

And of those, The Clansman gets my vote, pretty easily.

Left it out on purpose, since I semi-hate this song, whoever sings it :S

The Educated fool
10-23-2016, 10:54 PM
Bwahahahahahahahahaha!! :cool:

Witkacy
10-23-2016, 11:08 PM
Left it out on purpose, since I semi-hate this song, whoever sings it :S

And I even know why - cause the song is about to falling from rooftops :)

Aristo4
10-23-2016, 11:19 PM

Nekro wasn't born when I listened to this song in 1995, but yeah this adds up to me not liking it (so much) :p

The Educated fool
10-23-2016, 11:19 PM

lol!--Well played. :cool:

Reeb99
10-24-2016, 12:11 AM
Interesting. I never heard Steve's side of things. Glad they patched things up though. I've heard their schedule was pretty brutal in the late 80's / early 90's. They were cranking out albums left and right and touring mostly non stop in between.

Witkacy
10-24-2016, 03:10 PM
I know the thread is supposed to be about Blaze's songs... Yet since discussion is also about another Mr. B - couple shots (I am sorry I don't have a scanner though...)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/Mr.Maiden/P1000874.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/Mr.Maiden/P1000875.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/Mr.Maiden/P1000515.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/Mr.Maiden/P1000516.jpg

OpticSugar
10-24-2016, 03:26 PM
I know the thread is supposed to be about Blaze's songs... Yet since discussion is also about another Mr. B - couple shots (I am sorry I don't have a scanner though...)

Thanks for that little time capsule... interesting to read what the temperature was back in the 90's when it happened.

BillLion
10-25-2016, 11:59 AM

That's my exact thinking on the matter

Nekroliun
10-25-2016, 06:07 PM
Nekro wasn't born when I listened to this song in 1995, but yeah this adds up to me not liking it (so much) :p

Im very insulted by this comment, by saying that you hate a song cuz it relates to falling of rooftops and mentioning me and how its a habit of me, u insult me.

TRIGGERED

Nekroliun
10-25-2016, 06:11 PM
Also, after 2 days of listening to virtual XI nonstop, ive come to a conclusion...

Como estais amigos is the best iron maiden song

BillLion
10-25-2016, 08:08 PM
Also, after 2 days of listening to virtual XI nonstop, ive come to a conclusion...

Is this Nekro trolling? :eek:

Aristo4
10-25-2016, 08:28 PM
Im very insulted by this comment, by saying that you hate a song cuz it relates to falling of rooftops and mentioning me and how its a habit of me, u insult me.

TRIGGERED

I'm sorry.

Witkacy
10-25-2016, 09:22 PM

Yes, nice song indeed - great that you can make your choices so easily... I've been listening to Iron Maiden since 35 years - most of albums listened hundreds - some others like my favourite Killers, Piece Of Mind, Somewhere In Time, Seventh Son... - may be listened even thousands times - and I wouldn't dare to say such opinion about ANY of the songs... Some I like the most, others less - but each of them has this something, each is unique of its special kind... Its very hard to choose ONE song of all albums... Because every listener has different tastes (in general)...

'Arry once said that the best thing they recorded was ''The Rime Of The Ancient Mariner'' but it was as they recorded ''Powerslave''... Earlier the same was taking about ''To Tame A Land'' - while POM was released and so on - so you can see that even guy who wrote most of the songs has problem with his choices LOL

beastmaster
03-30-2017, 09:23 AM

Yes, nice song indeed - great that you can make your choices so easily... I've been listening to Iron Maiden since 35 years - most of albums listened hundreds - some others like my favourite Killers, Piece Of Mind, Somewhere In Time, Seventh Son... - may be listened even thousands times - and I wouldn't dare to say such opinion about ANY of the songs... Some I like the most, others less - but each of them has this something, each is unique of its special kind... Its very hard to choose ONE song of all albums... Because every listener has different tastes (in general)...

'Arry once said that the best thing they recorded was ''The Rime Of The Ancient Mariner'' but it was as they recorded ''Powerslave''... Earlier the same was taking about ''To Tame A Land'' - while POM was released and so on - so you can see that even guy who wrote most of the songs has problem with his choices LOL

-------------------------------------------

-------------------------------
Its not Blaze's faults, he is doing what he can..and yes..he just aint fit with iron maiden character.. iron maiden need lower tone voice and high voice as well.

Maybe...just maybe... that Manowar front man (sorry i forgot his name, Eric or else..) has similar character with Bruce and almost same musically background... (its debatable of course).

Just my two cents.

-beastmaster-

PsiH86
03-30-2017, 09:34 AM
Interestingly, I only who likes solo works of Blaze Bayley and its work in Wolfsbane, than Blaze in Iron Maiden more?
Just, in my opinion, in Maiden he hasn't realized all the potential...
The vocal in Wolfsbane was more live, in solo performances more professional...

beastmaster
03-31-2017, 01:50 AM
Interestingly, I only who likes solo works of Blaze Bayley and its work in Wolfsbane, than Blaze in Iron Maiden more?
Just, in my opinion, in Maiden he hasn't realized all the potential...
The vocal in Wolfsbane was more live, in solo performances more professional...

------------------------------------

Just Hearin Blaze's voice in Sign of The Cross.. i think he's better than D'anno... also check out his voice in I Live My Way...dats more Rockin than Heavy

-beastmaster-

Rain88
06-06-2017, 11:09 PM
It's good to know that I'm not the only blaze fan out there. Most iron maiden fans seem to loath him.
imo , with the exception of a few songs (such as Futureal), iron maiden didn't really accommodate for the new vocal range that Blaze have. They assumed that they are still with Bruce.
Regardless I'm a huge fan of blaze (including his song with maiden) and I went and saw him live (he's really good live too) when he toured with Paul.
As for his songs with maiden, my favorites includes:
The Educated Fool (could be my favorite song)
Futureal
The Clansman (Bruce's vocals song)
Lord of the Files (Bruce's vocals song)
Sign of the Cross (Bruce's vocals song)
Judgment of Heaven (Bruce's vocals song)
Como Estais Amigos (Bruce's vocals song)

Crazypants
06-07-2017, 04:04 PM
Ive always liked Blaze and regret not seeing him while he was still in Maiden in 96. By the time I saw Maiden again in 99 Bruce had already taken back over. Interesting fact at least some of the songs on Brave New world were written with Blaze on vocals in mind. In fact several were even written and/or co written by Blaze. Steve Harris felt buying out the rights to the songs from Blaze gave him the right to remove Blazes writing credits. Probably within his legal rights but morally debatable. Something that seems to be a pattern with Steve considering their current legal troubles surrounding Hallowed be thy name. Give credit where credit is due man.

Blaze has got a voice that seems to get better with age. If you haven't heard Thomas Zwijsen's Nylon Maiden album yet check it out. Its great hearing Blaze belt out those Brave New World songs. Since its all acoustic Blazes vocals really shine.

https://youtu.be/Lju5yaKglr8

The Educated fool
06-08-2017, 04:31 PM
Ive always liked Blaze and regret not seeing him while he was still in Maiden in 96. By the time I saw Maiden again in 99 Bruce had already taken back over. Interesting fact at least some of the songs on Brave New world were written with Blaze on vocals in mind. In fact several were even written and/or co written by Blaze. Steve Harris felt buying out the rights to the songs from Blaze gave him the right to remove Blazes writing credits. Probably within his legal rights but morally debatable. Something that seems to be a pattern with Steve considering their current legal troubles surrounding Hallowed be thy name. Give credit where credit is due man.

Blaze has got a voice that seems to get better with age. If you haven't heard Thomas Zwijsen's Nylon Maiden album yet check it out. Its great hearing Blaze belt out those Brave New World songs. Since its all acoustic Blazes vocals really shine.

https://youtu.be/Lju5yaKglr8

Very cool version of the song, and I enjoyed his dialogue afterwards. Thanks for posting this, my excellent trooper! :cool:

Crazypants
07-18-2017, 03:25 PM
I wish they would have done a proper studio recording of this rather than just the one off goofy jam session. First time I saw this this I was blown away. Might be the only non Blaze Maiden song where Blaze sounds as good/better then Bruce..... To much :p? Im only half joking with that statement.

https://youtu.be/4l_Edlz_KN8

Blacksteel
07-19-2017, 12:07 AM
-------------------------------------------

-------------------------------
Its not Blaze's faults, he is doing what he can..and yes..he just aint fit with iron maiden character.. iron maiden need lower tone voice and high voice as well.

Maybe...just maybe... that Manowar front man (sorry i forgot his name, Eric or else..) has similar character with Bruce and almost same musically background... (its debatable of course).

Just my two cents.

-beastmaster-

Manowar's Eric Adams could have been an interesting choice, not so sure it would be a right fit, but he has great sustain and power, of course we love Bruce, so good thing he came back.
I got to see Blaze live during the X-Factor tour and he did a great job live and he did sound closer to Dickinson's, even different than the album.

Coletrain
07-19-2017, 02:33 AM
Futureal is a great tune along with Man on the Edge. Haven't seen a mention of Virus, but I enjoy that one as well.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9zofmtt_8oQ

thealchemist
07-19-2017, 04:42 AM
I also really like Virus, thats a great song. The other strong tunes are Sign of the Cross, The Clansman and Man on the Edge for me. I do think Bruce's versions of the latter two live show why he is a better fit for the band. His higher register and screams put more theatrics into the songs in my opinion.

Crazypants
07-19-2017, 03:25 PM
I also really like Virus, thats a great song. The other strong tunes are Sign of the Cross, The Clansman and Man on the Edge for me. I do think Bruce's versions of the latter two live show why he is a better fit for the band. His higher register and screams put more theatrics into the songs in my opinion.

I don't think Maiden has played a song besides Clansman from the Blaze catalog since the Ed Hunter tour in 99. Even Clansman was last played in 2003 Give me Ed tour. So i don't think Bruces register on Clansman or MotE was ever a consideration for bringing him back. Blaze did struggle with with a lot of Maidens older catalog, had a weak stage presence and combined with a nasty allergy attack that got half the virtual XI NA shows canceled definitely contributed to him being replaced. For all his faults I still like the Blaze fronted Maiden.

I personally rank Virtual XI higher then Dance of Death, Somewhere in Time or Final Frontier.

https://youtu.be/OhXtnPZHOh0

Crazypants
07-20-2017, 03:22 AM
So i just got notice that the Blaze show I bought tickets to was canceled 5 weeks before the show due to low ticket sales. Trash promoters should look in the mirror before typing their everybody but me excuses.

On that note some brand new Blaze....

https://youtu.be/VtBVMlSE7-o

HeadOnFire
08-05-2017, 07:22 PM
As far as Blaze's work with Iron Maiden goes, my favorites by far are 'Look for the Truth' and 'The Educated Fool.' 'Look for the Truth' is just so powerful, comparing the act of looking inwardly at yourself with a knife - "Knife of the truth, deepest cut of all from you!" And the "Oooh-oh-oh!" part, along with the solo, just seem to capture that emotion perfectly. And as for The Educated Fool, that song just applies to everyone. Its lyrics describe a universal truth of the human condition: none of us really know what we're doing or where we're going, but desperately wish to find out. Some of us may pretend to know the meaning/purpose of our life through science, religion, etc. but no matter how much literature, history, and philosophy you engage in, you're still basically lost in the sea of life - pretty much the same message as Ghost of the Navigator in my opinion.

But Blaze had a great solo career after he left Maiden. I haven't followed much of it so far - only listened to Tenth Dimension and Silicon Messiah - but based on those 2 albums I'd say he is an extremely gifted (not to mention underrated) singer and songwriter. His song 'The Brave' is inspiring and uplifting in a way that makes me more willing to take chances with my own personal life, while 'Ghost in the Machine' and 'Silicon Messiah' are just a fascinating sci-fi story. Basically, that album is about humans finding a way to program human consciousness into a computer, and that sentient computer waking up and being completely confused/overwhelmed by its new, artificial existence. They then create a body for the computer "brain" out of silicon (astro-biologists in real life have theorized that alien life could exist based on silicon, rather than carbon, since carbon and silicon have such similar properties). That artificial human then becomes the "silicon messiah," who questions whether humans deserve the right to live on a planet that they continuously destroy, and eventually enslaves humanity for its own good. We create the Silicon Messiah, and he saves us from ourselves.

tl;dr version: Blaze Bayley is awesome, both within and without Iron Maiden

Crazypants
08-24-2017, 10:14 PM
Saw Blaze last night in Newport, KY. The show was at the Southgate House which an old church converted to a concert venue so it had a cool stained glass backdrop. The man himself was upfront when they opened the door meeting people and shaking hands. There was only around 40 ppl there and no opening bands. Despite the small crowd people were really into it. Blaze had an awesome stage presence and interacted with the audience a bunch. The Virus and the Wolfsbane song Man Hunt were highlights for me. There was also a guy who brought his autistic 12 old kid for his birthday and Blaze did an impromptu metal version of Happy Birthday for him and the band gave him the set list, drum sticks and guitar pics after the show. Kid was so happy he cried. Got to talk to some young guys who brought records to be signed about the vinyl represses and some older guys about Maiden concerts they've seen in the 80s. Very cool vibe from all there. Blaze did his regular free meet and greet after the show and it was cool to get a pic and shoot the shit with him for a few.

Despite the small crowd Blaze kept the energy level high. Blaze came off really humble and grateful for everyone there. Wasn't pushy with the merch at all and said "Thank you for being here. Its an honor and privilege to preform for you tonight. I'm 100% independent and This is how i pay my rent." About half the songs (esp. the Maiden songs) were sing alongs that went over well after a few beers. I'm kinda surprised I still have a voice. I know some of my Troopers are in Dallas and San Antonio and Blaze will be there next week. If your on the fence about seeing him Id encourage you to do it. Blaze is a class act and the show was just plain good old fun.

Ill upload some videos I took later.

Crazypants
08-25-2017, 03:42 AM
Blaze Bayley Newport, KY Aug 23, 2017

https://youtu.be/UjNdijJtgPQ
Virus

The Educated fool
09-06-2017, 01:42 AM
Cool pics and vid, pants! :cool:

I always liked Virus...

BonFire
09-06-2017, 02:06 AM
Lord of the Flies, 2AM, Sign of the Cross, The Clansman, Man on the Edge, My Generation, Doctor Doctor... He had some solid stuff.

Inishmore
09-06-2017, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the pics and the video. I can just agree, I saw Blaze about 3 or 4 times live, even had the privilege to open for him with my Band at an Open Air Festival a couple of years back. He is a great performer and an absolutely outstanding person.

TheAlbatross-1864
06-04-2018, 08:00 PM
Ii really liked Lord of the flies, Como estais amigo, look for the truth, dont look to the ees of a stranger

Knut-3112
09-03-2018, 08:15 PM
I am currently re-listening the Blaze albums and they are great. Best songs for me are The Clansman, The Educated Fool, Look for The Truth, Sign of the Cross, Virus and Don't look to the eyes of the stranger.

HK-47
09-05-2018, 03:57 AM
All of them, including the covers, live and outtakes

scott-5496
09-05-2018, 09:36 AM
Never been a Blaze era fan - just did not think the vocals fitted the band and he was just nowhere near Bruce...but I did love him in Wolfsbane because that all fitted well. I only listen to these albums once in a while. As much as I like the music I think the lyrics are not for me and the vocals just do not work well. No disrespect to Blaze though he did a great job in the band - just not my thing. I preferred him in Wolfsbane to be honest - they were ace live too.

Mitch-4441
01-18-2019, 05:29 PM
I gotta give it up to Futureal, Educated Fool, Clansman, and Lightning Strikes Twice as my favorite Blaze songs. SoTC is killer but Bruce sings it better than Blaze imo