PDA

View Full Version : About characteristics related damage increase...

blackbolt
11-27-2016, 05:05 PM
Hi guys, i've recently acquired a sentinel bomber boy and trying to figure out which talismans may be better, i was wondering on how the trooper's characteristics influence the damage output and if there is a priority.

For example, with the sentinel bomber boy the ability "Bomb" says: "Deals magic damage & damage increases based on your MAX HP and DEF"
For what i've understood the damage is influenced by all MAGIC, MAX HP and DEF but, which one between these three will influence my damage output the most?

MAGIC really affects the resulting damage or not at all? If so, my talisman choose may change drastically.

And also about MAGIC, what about the Magus allied soldier where its ability says "Damage dealt is based on your max hp"? It means that MAG doesn't affect the damage at all? The damage is entirely based on MAX HP?

I don't know if it's anything obvious or not, but i think understanding this may be useful to choose the exactly right talisman.

I appreciate all the feedback, have a nice evening ;)

Kardas
11-27-2016, 10:07 PM
Two tidbits:

I made a thread on the Bomber Boy pre-update. You may find some mildly outdated info there: http://forum.ironmaidenlegacy.com/showthread.php?1280-Allied-Bomber-Boy-(Sentinel)

I've also been keeping an eye on Gunner Bomber Boy threads and the suggestion there seems to be to get a Freeze (Power) and an Energy (Either Ward or Mystical) set on the Bomber Boy. Will probably also work fine on the Sentinel and gives nice utility.

I haven't actively used my Sentinel Bomber in some time. I hope to give him a 5* Talisman set, but I don't have the Runes for that.

aur0ra85
11-28-2016, 12:35 AM
The equations are guessed to be a sum of with regards to damage output. The only values that have actually been correctly quantified are characters that do AOE true damage. We have no idea if this is correct for magic and physical damage as well but the formula is reasoned to be the same as a true damage character (Magic +1% of base health+defense)= damage output or thereabouts. Keep in mind due to various modifiers to damage output apply as do the MR value of the enemy and we have little understanding of this part of the equation.
Hope that helps.

Reeb99
11-28-2016, 01:40 AM
In general, the skills all scale with the damage type AND what the skill says. Physical damage with attack, magic with magic stat, true damage with attack and magic, random with special stat. Nobody knows the exact formulas except the devs.

So for talisman setups, look at what the required colors are and what stats the basic and power move share. That's the stat(s) that you want to boost the most, and if you can pick up some of the others along the way, even better.

blackbolt
11-28-2016, 09:06 AM
I made a thread on the Bomber Boy pre-update. You may find some mildly outdated info there: http://forum.ironmaidenlegacy.com/showthread.php?1280-Allied-Bomber-Boy-(Sentinel)

Yep thx, it was the first thing i've checked, it's useful information. If found interesting the part where you say that the damage increases more with MAG related talismans than the HP ones.
It's exactly what i was wondering about, if there is some characteristics that affects damage more than the others, and here seems to be the MAG one...it seems...hope so... :D

Reeb99 - aur0ra85

Thx guys for all the feedback, i think the most interesting thing may be understanding if the damage type (es. MAG for Magic damage) affects the resulting damage more than the other modifiers written on the skill description. Any guess?

Reeb99
11-28-2016, 09:27 AM
Well, the only real way to know is experimenting with different talisman sets of the same level and record the results. Then with lots of data collection and some math, you could probably decipher the formulas. That would be a huge effort though, not one that I'd care to participate in.

Some characters just won't be good no matter what you do with them, others are very strong once you find the right combination. There's likely other modifiers at work such as level difference, class affinity, and probably a modifier unique to each skill. Some people have even said that identical skills can do different damage on different characters. And of course there's always going to be some RNG figured in.

TL:DR version: Damage type and skill descriptions will give you a good starting point, but the only way to know for sure is to experiment.

Esquatcho
11-28-2016, 09:31 AM
I can't speak for the bomber boy, but whether the damage type or the commented scaling has more influence really depends on the char.

In general, whenever you get a new char, you are best trying a couple of different talisman setups and going manual (so you have consistent perfects) and compare damage. Its kinda the only way. I believe even for true damage, some chars seem to scale better with more attack than magic, versus being equal or vice versa. So there are no rules of thumb.

Ringe666-7406
11-28-2016, 12:13 PM
I've got that dude in my troopers with Energy set and Thief set on his bomber boy and he is doing just great... Decent, if not high damage for a sentinel, plus the effects :D

Arcturus
11-28-2016, 12:49 PM
In general, the skills all scale with the damage type AND what the skill says. Physical damage with attack, magic with magic stat, true damage with attack and magic, random with special stat.

Random damage scales with magic & attack, just like true damage. But the damage is randomly applied as either physical, magic, or true, which changes how it is mitigated by defense, magic resistance, or neither. Damage only scales with special if it is specifically noted.

blackbolt
11-28-2016, 06:16 PM
but the only way to know for sure is to experiment.

Agree, it's kinda the fun part of the game...sometimes ^^

thank you all 4 the feedback
cheers

Reeb99
11-29-2016, 12:47 AM
Random damage scales with magic & attack, just like true damage. But the damage is randomly applied as either physical, magic, or true, which changes how it is mitigated by defense, magic resistance, or neither. Damage only scales with special if it is specifically noted.

I haven't seen a random damage attack yet that didn't benefit from special stat, so maybe it scales with attack, magic, and special?

Arcturus
11-29-2016, 03:52 AM
I haven't seen a random damage attack yet that didn't benefit from special stat, so maybe it scales with attack, magic, and special?

Could be. I haven't tested it, I was just paraphrasing from the in-game FAQ.