PDA

View Full Version : This game may be violating truth in advertising laws

ErikInVegas
12-23-2016, 08:49 AM
All I got is old nerfed dupes off the special event souls that are now constantly shilled with popups.

Even 1 star characters from the new collection would have complied with truth in advertising laws.

Laws in the US require ads to be both truthful and 'not misleading' - please go look it up.

Walmart, McDonald's and Amazon have all lost lawsuits over ads that were technically true but misleading to customers.

Heavy1974
12-23-2016, 12:53 PM
All I got is old nerfed dupes off the special event souls that are now constantly shilled with popups.

Even 1 star characters from the new collection would have complied with truth in advertising laws.

Laws in the US require ads to be both truthful and 'not misleading' - please go look it up.

Walmart, McDonald's and Amazon have all lost lawsuits over ads that were technically true but misleading to customers.

What do you consider not true or misleading ?

ErikInVegas
12-23-2016, 04:03 PM

They're advertising "Christmas Souls" but what most people get is not Christmas Souls.

Say you buy a box that says PlayStation. You get it home and it contains a brick instead.

That's clearly fraud.

Leo_ID
12-23-2016, 05:27 PM
They're advertising "Christmas Souls" but what most people get is not Christmas Souls.

Say you buy a box that says PlayStation. You get it home and it contains a brick instead.

That's clearly fraud.

Did you mean they're advertising Christmas Souls yet you didn't get any Christmas Character by opening them? If that's the case, I don't think they GUARANTEE that Christmas Souls WILL get you a Christmas Character....

Quoting from the ads: "Christmas souls guarantee 3 to 5 star characters of any class with an increased chance of Christmas Character"

I opened 3 of them today and all I've got are 2 green soldiers and a harpy, yet someone in this forum have got some of the new characters from the Christmas souls. It's all about luck.

If you're not happy with your luck and the randomness of the RNG, then save your money and ironites. Don't bother to buy them.

Ian
12-23-2016, 05:40 PM

The ads are truthful and not at all misleading, providing you have basic reading and comprehension skills. You should also make an effort to learn what a "shill" actually is, rather than picking words out of your butt.

In case anyone else doesn't yet understand it: Souls in this game are a lottery, a gamble, and the odds are bad. You have a chance to get what you want, but the best characters are the lowest probability - it is entirely possible you could never get what you want from an infinite number of souls. Do not buy souls unless you are happy gambling your ironite/badges/money.

ErikInVegas
12-23-2016, 06:46 PM
You should also make an effort to learn what a "shill" actually is, rather than picking words out of your butt.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/shill
"verb (used with object)
4. to advertise or promote (a product) as or in the manner of a huckster; hustle:
He was hired to shill a new TV show."

Browno
12-23-2016, 09:07 PM
So you buy a lottery ticket where you can win 10000000 dollars and you don't and then you want to make a lawsuit because you did nit win the lottery?
It said increased chance, not guaranteed win.

slauki
12-23-2016, 11:12 PM
Souls in this game are a lottery, a gamble, and the odds are bad. You have a chance to get what you want, but the best characters are the lowest probability - it is entirely possible you could never get what you want from an infinite number of souls. Do not buy souls unless you are happy gambling your ironite/badges/money.

Exactly, that's what is probability is all about. It's all about luck and the chances are against you in this game. but lexileon announced that they want to implement an option on grinding toward specific characters. that would be much appreciated, but this option will also need big investments in time/resources.
It's not supposed to be easy to get all great characters, but they should really tweak the legendary souls so that you only get characters you doesn't have.

ErikInVegas
12-24-2016, 09:01 AM
So you buy a lottery ticket where you can win 10000000 dollars and you don't and then you want to make a lawsuit because you did nit win the lottery?
It said increased chance, not guaranteed win.

The lottery was advertised as a trip to Mars - instead I won a trip to Vegas, where I already live.

I'm not making the lawsuit. I'm stating facts. Valve was just ordered to pay $3M AUD for misleading statements. Not false. Simply misleading. Valve is already involved in lawsuits about random drop type games in several US states.

By being greedy the management of this game has ensured that people who spend money have a worse experience than people who don't.

That yields the immediate result that people spend less money and the longer term result that somebody that had a bad experience will almost certainly sue, possibly as a class action. It won't be me but I can see it coming a mile away.

mjmxiii
12-24-2016, 09:46 AM
It's not supposed to be easy to get all great characters, but they should really tweak the legendary souls so that you only get characters you doesn't have.

Agreed! Of the three legendary souls I've opened, two were dupes that I've had since the first month this game was released!

FlyingV
12-24-2016, 09:54 AM
It pays to be very clear here. The advertising is listed above with a 3-5* guarantee of any class w a chance to win an X-mas soul. Every soul yields a 3* or better. Some souls are christmas characters (I and others have them as proof). Thus, the adverising is true.

Where we have an area regarding deception is that (as far as I am aware) there have been no honest representations of the odds. Consider these hypothetical odds:

3:4 3* magus/sentinel/warrior
1:10 3* gunner/assassin
1:100 4* any class
1:1,000 5* any class
1:100 3* X-mas toon
1:10,000 Coalgiver Eddie

If these were factual, if these were disclosed, and if one had a soul motivation (pun) to spend $/resources for coalgiver, advance disclosure may dissuade any gamble or expenditure of resources given 1:10,000 odds. Concealing these odds is the deception.

We all know there is a lottery system, but none knows how narrow the odds are. This is the idea in contracts where the meeting of the minds are required for a valid transaction. If one spends under the impression that a game of chance is 1:100 but the odds really are 1:50,000, there is no meeting of the minds. This is what is problematic about this game for me, and it may/may not have future ramifications down the line.

lotteries have posted prize odds. There was earlier discussion of China requiring these games to post odds for similar reasons. This is where the point of contention lies... not from "false advertising" but "deceptive advertising" (the willful concealment of known odds on the basis that publication may negatively affect sales).

ErikInVegas
12-24-2016, 01:25 PM
The courts in Australia didn't rule against Valve because the statements were false. The courts ruled against Valve because the ads were misleading.

The courts in China are expected to be even stricter and when the courts rule in the various US states some are expected to include not just penalties but injunctions against sales.

FlyingV
12-24-2016, 10:33 PM
Fair enough, but while your point may have merit, your understanding of the issue is completely off...

That's clearly fraud.

They are NOT advertising X-mas souls (i.e., buy Xmas soul, receive Xmas character). They ARE advertising a chance for an Xmas soul, or 3-5* character from any class. Hence, you seem to misunderstand the clear wording of the promo and misconstrue the ad itself as fraud.

Again, the REAL issue is that people don't know what they are buying... not because of the "misleading words of the ad" as you put it, but because they are not forthcoming about the odds, which if disclosed may cost them many sales due to the potential remoteness of scoring certain desirable characters.

ErikInVegas
12-25-2016, 02:49 PM
Fair enough, but while your point may have merit, your understanding of the issue is completely off...

They are NOT advertising X-mas souls (i.e., buy Xmas soul, receive Xmas character). They ARE advertising a chance for an Xmas soul, or 3-5* character from any class. Hence, you seem to misunderstand the clear wording of the promo and misconstrue the ad itself as fraud.

Again, the REAL issue is that people don't know what they are buying... not because of the "misleading words of the ad" as you put it, but because they are not forthcoming about the odds, which if disclosed may cost them many sales due to the potential remoteness of scoring certain desirable characters.

When people thought they were clever selling XBox boxes on ebay what did the police do to those people?

Why?

How does ebay treat these types of auctions today?

Why?

They're not being clever, they're just being dishonest and if they don't police themselves eventually the government will step in and do it.

Vertax616
12-25-2016, 03:04 PM
When people thought they were clever selling XBox boxes on ebay what did the police do to those people?

Why?

Why?

They're not being clever, they're just being dishonest and if they don't police themselves eventually the government will step in and do it.
I don't understand the logic you have here. Using your exemple, they don't sell Xbox boxes. They sell tickets that gives various consoles like Gameboys, Nintento Wii's etc.
But these tickets have greater chance for getting "XBox". They don't guarantee that you will "definetly" get an Xbox.

FlyingV
12-25-2016, 07:30 PM

Why?

Why?

Take these "people" you are are supposedly referring to...

Did such ads say the the following or something substantially similar:

Here's your chance to win an X-box for only $__! That's right, you have a guaranteed chance of getting the box with not shit in it, but your bid could also win you an X-box game, a controller or even the complete X-box!

If these ads did not have language to the exact same effect as what I wrote (and we both know they did NOT), then your analogy does not apply whatsoever.

Why? Because the promo you are bitching about does not say "Win Christmas eddie or a holiday character with an Xmas soul" with no further language whatsoever, though I am beginning to think that is as far as you have bothered to read/retain. If they showed Holiday characters and said "only available through holiday souls" with no further explanation about the promo, your analogy would apply where someone takes a picture of a box with no explanation that there is no console within. However, it is very clear from the EXPLICIT language of the promo that participants stand a chance to win a 3* - 5* character from any class, including gunners and assassins, UNLIKE those ads you claim, which merely show the picture with no explanation that it is merely the box.

This is the second time I have spent time fully explaining this for you now. There will not be a third time. If you can't understand it by this point, you either have a serious reading comprehension issue or you aren't even bothering to fully read the responses made to your thread.

Hypnos
12-25-2016, 08:06 PM
This is the second time I have spent time fully explaining this for you now.[/U] There will not be a third time. If you can't understand it by this point, you either have a serious reading comprehension issue or...

Something tells me you wouldn't make a great maths tutor, FlyingV! :D

Seriously though, if he can't grasp this whole concept then he's either just stubborn or a troll.

konstifik
12-26-2016, 09:53 AM
it is entirely possible you could never get what you want from an infinite number of souls.

I don't think you grasp the concept of infinity.