PDA

View Full Version : Suspect Discussion: Sentinel Soulless Demon

Sparton_LOTB
01-23-2017, 11:54 PM
What It was Designed For
A tanky character which helps mitigate damage for its team by taking hits onto itself with Taunt.

What We Got
One of the most consistent AoE damagers which does true damage and taunts surprisingly often, with survivability and talisman slots that makes it surprisingly good at using CCing talismans (stun, blind, freeze, etc).

Why This is a Problem

Without buffs, almost as damaging as some of the other best AoE attackers in the game. Even when debuffed, its damage is largely unaffected
Taunt works regardless of interaction timing and can be more devastating than stuns or freezes… and further increased with accuracy to make at least half of the enemy team unable to do anything but basics the entire fight

What We Could Consider Changing

Reduce HP scaling on basic attack (so it isn’t a CC king on top of doing substantial damage)
Reduce chance to taunt (so accuracy is still helpful, but makes taunting 3+ enemy characters not as common)

Please let us know your thoughts on this character in the comments. Keep in mind that this is not a for sure set of changes we’re going to do to this character; this is merely where our appraisal design-side is of the character, and we want to discuss this more with the community to get a better sense if changes are necessary for this character or if this character is fine as is.

Frost
01-24-2017, 12:35 AM
I really don't think he need a little more than a damage buff, gaining more survival in trade.

Taunt is a form of Soft CC because basic attacks can trigger talismans and still cause a lot of damage, so I wouldn't change this. Just fix the bug where Taunt triggers w/o perfect hits and he'll be fine.

Sag7272
01-24-2017, 01:01 AM
Just fix the bug where Taunt triggers w/o perfect hits and he'll be fine.

Don't think it's a bug, it's like mummy's taunt or CG stun and don't require it to trigger...

About that demon... Never ever had any problems fighting against him, he is annoying & too long to kill but many counter exist for that guy & he's in the middle of the pack as for me..

ToTameAGame
01-24-2017, 07:07 AM
About that demon... Never ever had any problems fighting against him, he is annoying & too long to kill but many counter exist for that guy & he's in the middle of the pack as for me..

This ...

Ignore this: "message is too short to post that's why bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla"

CanyptianFit
01-24-2017, 08:40 AM
Second Sag7272 quote. Middle of the pack.

I five stared him but have yet to use him.

konstifik
01-24-2017, 09:44 AM
The taunting can be "countered". One extreme example is a team with Corrupt General with freeze talismans and the Desert Marauder.

Aristo4
01-24-2017, 03:35 PM
That some 5stared him and not used him, or if there's a counter out there or not is irrelevant.

As a wise man said to me, you have to put on the shoes of someone who doesn't have a counter....and then this otherwise normal/good damager gets to a taunt machine taunting WAY more often and to more opponents as it should (without perfects too)

Broken is broken.

Sag7272
01-24-2017, 04:15 PM
That some 5stared him and not used him, or if there's a counter out there or not is irrelevant.

As a wise man said to me, you have to put on the shoes of someone who doesn't have a counter....and then this otherwise normal/good damager gets to a taunt machine taunting WAY more often and to more opponents as it should (without perfects too)

Broken is broken.

Going on this way and hellhounds will be uneuseful as possible, putting myself in the no conter shoes... Still not broken he just does his job, & loose a turn all the time to his power move giving breathing room to plan something else...

There's a LOT to fix in there before nerfing this guy,
Soon no defense will be holding on to anything since any powerful toon will be too week for AI to overcome, noob will be happy with their 100% attack rate with unmaxed meathead and will be the only ones...happy 0% hold PvP days loosing 1k points overnight will be soo much more funny..

Aristo4
01-24-2017, 04:31 PM
Going on this way and hellhounds will be uneuseful as possible, putting myself in the no conter shoes... Still not broken he just does his job, & loose a turn all the time to his power move giving breathing room to plan something else...

There's a LOT to fix in there before nerfing this guy,
Soon no defense will be holding on to anything since any powerful toon will be too week for AI to overcome, noob will be happy with their 100% attack rate with unmaxed meathead and will be the only ones...happy 0% hold PvP days loosing 1k points overnight will be soo much more funny..

SSD does his job way more often than he should and his 55% chance to taunt is more like 90% now. You may have a Hellhound and don't care about SSD's CG's Mummy's etc....but we who don't get stunned, taunted, frozen all day long.

As for if there's a lot to fix before this guy, yeah...the whole game needs fixing, but they gotta start from somewhere.

Sag7272
01-24-2017, 05:03 PM
SSD does his job way more often than he should and his 55% chance to taunt is more like 90% now. You may have a Hellhound and don't care about SSD's CG's Mummy's etc....but we who don't get stunned, taunted, frozen all day long.

As for if there's a lot to fix before this guy, yeah...the whole game needs fixing, but they gotta start from somewhere.

With multiple hit bug & too high procs of tallismants most of this will die by self..

You as for me are always 1 character away from your needs that's what fuel that kind of game, having an answer doesn't mean everybody should have it or where would be the fun of hanging a soul over the book in soul to finally have the answer?
There's nothing OP in doing a decent job & honestly besides the red bat & maybe troll's shield doing damages think it's not THAT unbalanced characters wise..

It's a personal opinion thought, I can live with any nerf, just arguing some points...

slauki
01-24-2017, 06:03 PM
reducing his damage slightly would do the job i think. i see a problem when the healshield is on in addition with the other buffs. he is almost unkillable, even on pve as long as you don't remove the buffs.

i'm okay with everything as long as there are possibilities to couter it, so maybe no changes at all would also be okay.

RCarter
01-24-2017, 06:59 PM
Sparton, renting your SSD for a long time pushed me to develop my own. While I don't regret 5 starring him, I never pegged him as broken by any stretch of the term. "Middle of the road" is a pretty accurate description. The damage is pretty good for a green, but not high end.

Taunt chance on a perfect hit would be good. But like I read somewhere here before, Taunt can come back and bite you right on the ass if the wrong toon gets taunted.

The Heal shield gets annoying sure, but there are plenty counters for that.

The Educated fool
01-26-2017, 05:17 PM

This, entirely. Well said.

Chaosego888
01-29-2017, 11:44 AM
Maybe he needs to taunt a little less. I can agree with that. I never have a problem going against them but I use mine regularly on offense when going against mage teams. I think his attack needs to be left alone.

Schadenfreud-0217
01-30-2017, 06:58 PM
In my experience CG stuns more than SSD taunts, which is surprising due to the fact that CG should have a lower chance of stunning than SSD has of taunting...

ill
02-20-2017, 10:56 AM

The percentages to seem high. Esp matched with mummy or other stun/taunts. It seems like we went to great effort to nerf freeze but now have a similar situation with taunt. I've had several games going several rounds where after a lost coin toss my opponent taunts repeatedly so I never get a true shot off.