PDA

View Full Version : Help me spend 70 Skill Shards

Nine
04-19-2017, 04:29 PM
So basically the title says it all. I haven't spent a single Skill Shard since I started playing - which pretty much was in December - and just reached level 100. From achievement, PvP and secret locations I got 49 Shards. While I used my Trooper points mostly for Souls for some time, I started saving them at a point, resulting in 105k ready to be spend on Skill Shards.

I guess it is easiest to look at my profile, so you can skip the character listing below. As a frequent forum reader I am roughly aware of what toons are considered stronger than others and I know which ones are used in PvP on a regular basis. What I would be interested in are the value of skill shards to certain toons, that is which are considerably stronger with skill shards than without, or even only worth using because of them. In that regard it would also be interesting to hear which teams you'd suggest to make use of for certain synergies, be it red teams, magic teams or specific PvP combinations.

I consinder myself pretty lucky with regards to souls, especially with Eddies. Team selection is more limited by Talismans for me - either because they just won't drop or because I haven't leveled them, the latter partly because I am not sure to which toons I'll stick. Everything in the game suggests variety of teams and combinations should be a core aspect for players, yet it does its best to limit it as much as possible, Skill Shards being the most problematic factors. With not much possibilities to test something new I'd really appreciate the insights of those with more experience!

So here's the list of all toons I have that have at least 4 stars:

Eddies: Aces High, Navigator, Soldier, Tailgunner. Samurai, Christmas, Holy Smoke, Run to the Hills. Carriage Rider, Grim Reaper, Speed of Light, Wicker Man. Storm, Vampire Hunter. Fear of the Dark, Mummy, Visions.

Warrior: Angel of Fear, Axis Bomber Boy, Wicker Man, Troll, Golden Son, Newborn of the Light, Rocket Dog, Child of the Damned, Undead Rescuer, Wickerdog King.

Sentinel: Angel of Strife, Alliance General, Sentinel Soulless Demon, Harpy, Pyro, Corrupt Droid, Undead Rescuer, Allied Solidier.

Magi: Angel of Pain, Pharao Dog King, Child of the Damned, Allied Soldier, Pharao Dog, Harpy, Wickerdog Queen, Allied Soldier.

Assassin: Rocket Dog, Golden Son, Troll, Newborn of the Light, Axis Soldier, Wicker Golem, Axis Bomber Boy.

Gunner: Desert Marauder, Golden Son, Allied Bomber Boy.

And yeah, 70 Shards are not enough to only max Grim Reaper, Vampire Hunter and Samurai ... think about that.

Thanks in advance!

Tridimensionale
04-19-2017, 04:51 PM
Hi, my advice is to save some (half of them?) for future update/new content of the game.. you ll never know when you really need them ;)

Personally i would go with Angel of fear (no doubt) and one between GRE, CRE or Vision ( this one after the update seems the best eddy-choise for defence team )
If your goal is to compete in pvp maybe if you post your current/favourite team some of the big players can advice you better ;)
Sorry for my poor english but i think you get what i mean ^^

Browno
04-19-2017, 05:17 PM
Tailgunner eddie is really good in pve farming together with aof. You can watch my rooster and say if you want to try any of my chars out before you decide. Ssd is also really nice.

zdm-1083
04-19-2017, 08:09 PM
Question is:
What you want to do with your sharded toons?

As a side, I should say gg if you did not spend any shard on any toon XD

Sidney
04-19-2017, 08:14 PM
I've fully sharded CRE and GRE and was very happy with the results. I'd also agree with sharding AoF. I've also done Warrior Troll with full shards and haven't regretted that either.

Grim Reaper is a shard hog but in my opinion he was well worth the investment. Unless they nerf him...then I'll be pissed!! And not the happy I just drank 30 beers pissed... :D

Nine
04-19-2017, 10:04 PM
Thanks for responses!

Angel of Fear is indeed at the top of my list, thanks to troopers and PvP it is possible to judge his true potetential :)

Tailgunner Eddie is one where I still not sure what to think about. His Fury is great, but to me he has to many subpar abilities (Second chance, Roar, Radar to an extent), needs a lot of Skill Shards (6 for Triple Shot, 5 for Second Chance I nearly never use with troopers) and if I'd go for a gunner I'd probably choose Navigator over him whose skill set seems broader.

Visions is a tricky case, that's really hard to judge for me. For e.g. Mummy it was clear to me that he would not be worth it, simply because Skill Shards only increase damage for him and that's not his point. Here equilibrium, a higher chance to blind and Silence/Stun seem quite powerful, at the same time one basically wastes all Shards in Smash, and up to 10 in other damage increasing abilities...

Carriage Rider is an option for me because he is rather cheap for an Eddie and because the Shards go into useful abilities. Then again I haven't really used a Magus focused team at all and feel that won't be the case, looking at my toons.

28 Shards is for Grim Reaper where say 12 in the right abilities would be enough are a huge contra to me. I know how he shreds through some groups in PvP but that's up to 4 (or even 5) non-Eddies fully sharded there. I think the only reason he won't be touched is because everybody would go crazy and rightfully so. If I were to invest so many Shards in a single toon I'd think I go for my Vampire Hunter and disregard my PvP Defense for a toon that's kinda fun to play.

Warrior Troll has the huge uside of knowing what you get - only one Skill to sink Shards in. I like that about for example the Assassin Rocket Dog or Ass/Gunner GS as well. At the moment he is a core of my PvP defense as well as offense. On the one hand, though, I don't for how long that will be the case, especially for offense. On the hand I wonder if other toons wouldn't profit more from the Shards, not only since his damage was reduced...

The question what I wanna do with them is hard to answer, since I don't really know myself. The more I play PvP the more I am convinced the whole system is dramatically flawed and it doesn't make any sense investing into. At the same time it is pretty much the only thing to do besides farming. And I am experiencing first hand how much a weak defense makes it impossible to climb - having a win rate between 92 and 99% and still making it at best to 1900 points at the end of the week. I haven't played as much as in some weeks before, granted, but that's still offputting. A quick auto-farm team would also be nice, but I am not sure if that's something to aim for when spending Shards since it pretty much comes automatically in most cases, doesn't it?

konstifik
04-20-2017, 09:49 AM
AoF is pretty much a given. 10 shards and will be very useful in pretty much every part of the game. I would also think closely about Assassin Golden Son, as it only takes 4 shards and he will be very helpful in PvE, especially together with AoF.

Most Eddies are shard eaters so if I were you I would, very carefully, chose one Eddie to max out on shards and leave the other Eddies be for now. From your roster I'd probably chose Navigator or Carriage Rider. Tailgunner is nice, but it'll be excessive to have two extra-turn characters.

Add Sentinel Soulless Demon and Warrior Troll and you will a good core. Then save the remaining shards for toons you don't have yet.

Also, congratulations on finishing the game without spending any shards!