PDA

View Full Version : Do Sentinels need a rework?

Vaseodin
08-07-2016, 04:09 PM
So I am a fan of the Sentinel Class since they really fit my play style of support for the stronger allies, but since completing the game I've been experimenting with other characters and I now feel the Sentinel class my be in need of a rework. Here's why:

* All Sentinel Eddies are weak compared to other Eddies. I don't mean weak with damage (that's supposed to be that way), I mean all around (see below).

* Stun is a powerful ability but Mummy Eddie can only stun 1 baddie per hit (and his AOE works the same). The Axis Commander (Magus) can stun several per hit on an attack that doesn't cost power. Meanwhile, Visions Eddie stuns HIMSELF with his fury attack for longer than he stuns the enemy. I get ALL enemies get stunned, but come on.

* You have other classes that hit much harder and can heal (Carriage Rider, Soldier), Revive (Vampire Hunter), and all hit much much harder. If all Sentinels had a heal ability I would agree that they are tanks.

* Most enemies in late game red, which Sentinels are weak against.

* Most sentinels have the LOWEST MR and Def stats. By far. If they are tanks, shouldn't they have the highest? With such low defenses and no heals, a high health is basically pointless. When a Magus Eddie can hit for 12,000 without class advantage and Samurai can hit for over 30k with advantage, the high health doesn't sound so appealing.

* There are just as many "healers" in other classes as Sentinels. The difference is other classes hit harder.

* Removing status effects is pretty strong, and is great that a lot of Sentinels have those abilities.

* They generally have the lowest fury in the game.

* Actually, they generally have the lowest stats in the game except health and even that doesn't exceed others by a tremendous amount especially when you consider the pathetically low defense stats and the high damage output of other classes.

* They don't generally buff your party. As support characters shouldn't that be more common for sentinels?

* So overall, the ONLY 2 things that Sentinels do better than other classes are 1. Having higher HP and 2. Pharaoh's revive ability. They basically get outclassed by a character from another class in just about every category. Yes, even support roles like healing, buffing, and debuffing.

The mummy Eddie is still my favorite of all Eddies, but I am hoping for at least a boost in Def and Magic Resist. If not, a higher chance of stuns would be nice, since that is his main purpose. His single enemy attack is pointless, as it has a lower stun and lower damage than all of his other attacks. I use it for 'targeted stuns', but the chance is too unreliable to be of any actual use.

Visions Eddie just needs a full revamp.

Pharaoh Eddie has a really strong ability with "Revive", so I'll leave him alone, as that is insanely strong. He's the only sentinel character I feel is done right.

What do you guys think?

aur0ra85
08-07-2016, 04:41 PM
I feel like before the devs rework an entire character class to suit you and the way you feel about how the game should work, bug fixes and fixing broken characters, skills, mechanics, and talismans should be a priority.
There are LOTS of green characters that are retarded OP, it's not everyone else's fault you haven't unlocked nor figured out how to use them.
Besides, I doubt many people here want to play a passive game of trading heal spells/buffs round after round.

BillLion
08-07-2016, 04:56 PM
I think sentinels can use some tweaks. You mentioned Pharaoh Eddie -I've had him for a weak and have been pumping him up, but I find he needs to be paired with a healer to maximize the reive benefit -and of course a HEAVY hitter since his attacks pale in comparison to other 5* Eddies.

Jennie-5128
08-07-2016, 05:08 PM
I think aurora is right that other things need to take priority right now, but could maybe have worded it a bit more gently... :/

But then Sentinel Class were never going to be my favoured class anyway, so it's not such a priority to me as it would be if my play style favoured them. I think you're right that they seem to be underachievers next to other classes, Vaseodin, though.

Gonzo
08-07-2016, 05:22 PM
Maybe some Sentinel Units need a tweak but the class is ok.

The problem is that most of the players seem to think that you should have ONE Eddie and that character has to do everything, heal, high damage, super tanky, etc.

Sentinels should be a Tank/Support class. And it's perfect the way it is. If people expect a sentinel to do tons of damage, they clearly don't understand how RGP/Adventures, class based, games are supposed to be played.

As off now, the game is too easy, you can use Soldier Eddie and finish the game. This does not mean Soldier Eddie is OP, it means that the current endgame was supposed to be easy. That's why Underworld was nerfed. I'm happy Dark City is not being release right now.

If you are trying to main a Sentinel, I've got bad news for you.

Kulimar
08-07-2016, 06:31 PM
I think sentinels are pretty strong actually, if built right (Alliance General, Green Bat, Green Aoe Taunter, Green Allied Bomber, Green Pyro, Green Soldier, Pharaoh Edie, etc.) I do agree that certain ones are underpowered and they really should have higher defenses, to really help support their role better, but they are not at all weak.

Vaseodin
08-07-2016, 06:56 PM
I think aurora is right that other things need to take priority right now, but could maybe have worded it a bit more gently... :/

But then Sentinel Class were never going to be my favoured class anyway, so it's not such a priority to me as it would be if my play style favoured them. I think you're right that they seem to be underachievers next to other classes, Vaseodin, though.

Thanks, Jennie. To clarify, I never meant that it should take precedence over bug fixes. In fact, I meant to write that in my original post to keep the trolls at bay but I forgot and sure enough they're back. Oh well. Every forum has them.

There are plenty of posts on this forum (after all, that is what the forum is for) where people are expressing their opinions on what may need change in the future or features they would like to see. I'm sure nor a single one of those threads or posts (this one included) mean to imply that it should be top priority.

aur0ra85
08-07-2016, 07:24 PM
After what you wrote about me and all your incessant trolling of other forum members you've done in the past, and the constant chirping, you aren't getting any sympathy here. I'm surprised you weren't banned. Now you can deflect onto me your post about trolling; however, it doesn't change the fact that I've never read you contribute anything positive on the forums, at all, ever, Not once (and your post count is very large). I've even read you projecting onto others in some sort of round about method you're misinformation using the cover of sage advice when people are asking for help. In fact even your original post in this thread, when reading between the lines, is quite frankly all about you. All the niceties you've been attempting to post over the past couple days, are back pedalling, you aren't fooling anyone. At this point from a psychological perspective, you're either 14 years old, or a about a heartbeat away from a sociopath, probably the latter. The thing about your personality type is you want attention, the maximum amount all the time, and admiration. You clearly enjoy putting down as well. Lastly, under no circumstance can you be wrong about anything, without even doing any research or backing up your black and white "factual statements."
Now, I'm adding you to my ignore list, because I feel that I won't be missing any positive content in the future.
Have a nice day =D

Vaseodin
08-07-2016, 07:26 PM

The problem is that most of the players seem to think that you should have ONE Eddie and that character has to do everything, heal, high damage, super tanky, etc.

Sentinels should be a Tank/Support class. And it's perfect the way it is. If people expect a sentinel to do tons of damage, they clearly don't understand how RGP/Adventures, class based, games are supposed to be played.

As off now, the game is too easy, you can use Soldier Eddie and finish the game. This does not mean Soldier Eddie is OP, it means that the current endgame was supposed to be easy. That's why Underworld was nerfed. I'm happy Dark City is not being release right now.

I agree with most of what you wrote. You shouldn't expect the sentinel to do everything. I disagree with having a sentinel as your main. You can, and should be able to. In my long post I detail why I feel the way I do. There are broken things and things that I feel need a bit of a tweak, mainly the defenses of sentinels.

They are advertised as tanks, and therefore absolutely should have high defenses. Currently they have the LOWEST. Even lower than assassin at times. That shouldn't be. Also, I wrote (very detailed) how sentinels are support characters and explained how even that aspect of their use is sub par to others.

Vaseodin
08-07-2016, 07:34 PM

I agree with most of what you wrote. You shouldn't expect the sentinel to do everything. I disagree with having a sentinel as your main. You can, and should be able to. In my long post I detail why I feel the way I do. There are broken things and things that I feel need a bit of a tweak, mainly the defenses of sentinels.

They are advertised as tanks, and therefore absolutely should have high defenses. Currently they have the LOWEST. Even lower than assassin at times. That shouldn't be. Also, I wrote (very detailed) how sentinels are support characters and explained how even that aspect of their use is sub par to others.

Gonzo
08-07-2016, 07:35 PM
After what you wrote about me and all your incessant trolling of other forum members you've done in the past, and the constant chirping, you aren't getting any sympathy here. I'm surprised you weren't banned. Now you can deflect onto me your post about trolling; however, it doesn't change the fact that I've never read you contribute anything positive on the forums, at all, ever, Not once (and your post count is very large). I've even read you projecting onto others in some sort of round about method you're misinformation using the cover of sage advice when people are asking for help. In fact even your original post in this thread, when reading between the lines, is quite frankly all about you. All the niceties you've been attempting to post over the past couple days, are back pedalling, you aren't fooling anyone. At this point from a psychological perspective, you're either 14 years old, or a about a heartbeat away from a sociopath, probably the latter. The thing about your personality type is you want attention, the maximum amount all the time, and admiration. You clearly enjoy putting down as well. Lastly, under no circumstance can you be wrong about anything, without even doing any research or backing up your black and white "factual statements."
Now, I'm adding you to my ignore list, because I feel that I won't be missing any positive content in the future.
Have a nice day =D

You know what? You are right! I've always tried to be helpful, that's why I helped him every chance I got, most of the times not even getting a response from him after I proved him wrong or pointed facts to him.
Obviously that did not work, maybe ignoring him will be better. As I said the first time he tried to be toxic in one of my posts, he clearly needs help.

Perhaps he'll go away. And if we are lucky his minion too.

I'm done.

HeadlessHammerhead
08-07-2016, 08:51 PM
Perhaps he'll go away. And if we are lucky his minion too.

I'm done.

LOL . The minions are funny. And now they're making a troll movie, too (I'm sure you already knew that)! But I think you're a little off topic...

https://youtu.be/xyjm5VQ11TQ

Qed
08-08-2016, 04:11 PM
At the actual state of the game chars or classes rework is pointless to me. Finishing the campaign is very easy and you can do it with almost every comp (mix of 3* and 4* with 4*talismans).

Speaking about the future... it's hard to say now, but i see the sentinels in good shape, they provide a good amount of particular abilities in the game and i never seen this game as "you have a main char", you have 3 eddies you can use togheter and combine as you wish. So the point for me is that until the eddie-sentinels bring something you can't have in the same way from the others they are ok. As allies some sentinels are already top-tier (soulless demon, green bat, allies commander) so i don't think they need a buff.