PDA

View Full Version : Glad this week is finally over!

FallenAngel666
06-11-2017, 01:38 AM
I am posting something very personal about my last week in arena, but I think it can be interesting from the other players to read snd hopefully it can be a point for a constructive conversation.

This had been a very long week....I wanted to try to run for the Eternal for the first time after the changes of characters and score.
I thought it was nicer and interesting so i wanted to give it a try.
First of all congrats to the winner....he is too fast for me..I will never catch him I guess.
Then Congrats to Chaosego888. I am not sure he is a member of the forum but i hope he reads it. It was very challenging to comfront with you and you had been a very hard opponent to face during the whole week. The battle between us was absolutely epic from my point of view.

About Arena itself I think 8 but this is jus the ersonal opinion of a player) that a lot of work is still to be done.
The matchmaking continues to suck. I had to attack repeatedly always the same people as my lists were always the same.

I apologise with many of you but I had no choice. If you want to try to get to the Eternal you just have to shut up and clean the lists.

then about the 1:1 system and the dfenses. i think this new system made the game much more various as yu can use many more characters than before but....it completely killed defenses, which means that if you start to attack to win you enter a neverending circle. the more you attack to rank up, the more you get attaked by people who want to score up just cause you have an higher rank.
The more you get attacked...the more you must attack, and so on.
I ended the week doing more than 1000 attacks ( exactly 1027 95%)and I got attacked 785 times today i got an attack almost every 2 minutes.

To keep this rythm is absolutely crazy on the long trail.
It brought me to loose sleep and rest and to get more stressed than to have fun.
this is why i think i am not gonna run for the Eternal at least not in the very short trail ( even because after loosing it 4 times I guess is not my thing lol) .
This is why i am very happy this week is finally over....
it is time to keep back my free time and my sleep.

Does a chance to win the Eternal worth all of this?Loosing sleep...loosing time.....getting stressed and so on....

Jofer16
06-11-2017, 02:03 AM
Damn man, if i could hand it to you I would. I had half the attacks both for and against than you. I guess it pays to wait if you have good %s.

Try for it any of the next few weeks and I'll cheer from the sidelines.

Jofer16
06-11-2017, 02:09 AM
And I just noticed you're from Italy. Now the Bengio rage makes sense. Thanks for not being like the rest of your countrymen.

Skynyrdoo7
06-11-2017, 02:48 AM
This is why I also sit back for now. A time will come my friend. You deserve a win one day soon. Lots of strong players out there now, and this is my busy time of year being in heating and cooling. I will do my best to just stay relevant for now. Congrats to all on top. I will play my 50 troops above all first. Arena second. Hope to get time one week to make a significant run. Again... congrats and love to see a variety of defense for once.

Peace.... ☮️

FallenAngel666
06-11-2017, 08:56 AM
This is why I also sit back for now. A time will come my friend. You deserve a win one day soon. Lots of strong players out there now, and this is my busy time of year being in heating and cooling. I will do my best to just stay relevant for now. Congrats to all on top. I will play my 50 troops above all first. Arena second. Hope to get time one week to make a significant run. Again... congrats and love to see a variety of defense for once.

Peace.... ☮️

I will support you in any possible way when you will try a run and hopefully win!

slauki
06-11-2017, 09:35 AM
wow doing 1000+ attacks is a lot of work, and i feel sorry for you it doesn't pay out. but congrats to the great 2nd place nontheless (an congrats to jofer, carlos and the other great players out there ofc).
once you start to attack like a madman you will get attacked back like mad too, that'S really making it hard to climb that much, but OTOH i cannot see another approach that makes sense. i think the atk/def ratio approach ist much more fair than before. and arena feels better now.

for me it's was ugly to realize, that there are simply players who can outperform you no matter what. i have respect for every single eternal, since i can imagine how hard that is. the whole accusation and panic is ridiculous, some guys are simply better and are willing to invest more time/resources and effort.

that's why i try to keep my play/life balance in a good ratio and play only the free sow i get and to get top 25/50 every week with it. that's enough for me and this is quite stressfull too with all the troopers and the other oligations.

but don't let it demotivate you too much since it's all about permanently learning and trying to get better every day.

FallenAngel666
06-11-2017, 02:01 PM
I am not demotivated I love the game too much I just think there is still work.to be done by the debs to get Arena more enjoyable.
I think the efforts you have to put to.try to win are actually too many, even compared to the ones you have to put even to get in the top 5/10.

The very much 4 the congratulations.

My efforts have been somehow paid. I got awesome drops the last night.
My collectionist ego is very happy!!
Eternity Eddie and Rainmaker at once....what more to ask for? ( maybe that damn Prisoner I never drop !!! Lol)

Jofer16
06-11-2017, 03:35 PM
I am not demotivated I love the game too much I just think there is still work.to be done by the debs to get Arena more enjoyable.
I think the efforts you have to put to.try to win are actually too many, even compared to the ones you have to put even to get in the top 5/10.

The very much 4 the congratulations.

My efforts have been somehow paid. I got awesome drops the last night.
My collectionist ego is very happy!!
Eternity Eddie and Rainmaker at once....what more to ask for? ( maybe that damn Prisoner I never drop !!! Lol)

The effort is tied to the effort of other players, not so much the system in itself. If I wouldn't have played you might have won. It's the real reason why Sky, etc are sitting back, they've tried to get in the ring with me and failed. Shaolin is case in point, I was thousands of points below him and he absolutely freaked out, you'd think he saw a ghost. As long as there are people like me, being the best won't be handed to you just because you want it. Not bashing anyone, just some truth.

The average joe will never be able to knock out Mike Tyson with effort alone, they could train all day everyday. Strategy and skill play the biggest role. I had half of your attacks and won, so effort isn't really the issue with you guys. This is a global game, everyone on the planet can play if they have the means. This is the nature of video games, being the best at any of them is HARD.

It's gonna be fun to watch the celebration when I leave, all you kids can finally come out to play. At least I showed you what the heart of a champion looks like.

And grats on your pulls, happy you could find a silver lining this week, you've always been cool to me so that was nice to see. Cheers to you hitting Eternal soon.

Nicko
06-11-2017, 03:54 PM
The effort is tied to the effort of other players, not so much the system in itself... Strategy and skill play the biggest role. I had half of your attacks and won, so effort isn't really the issue with you guys.

First - since this thread is already set - I'm going to use this as a means to hand off any type of weekly PvP thread. I'm feeling a little burnt out - events and so on help - but with summer fun there are simply better things to do right now. Those threads started as a dare from those complaining about the Prisoner so I wanted to provide transparency about his effect - and they helped better elucidate the crazy point system along the way - but i think have run their course. Perhaps the need will arise once again - but for now I'm taking a break. Anyone who wants to continue if they'd like to keep tracking is welcome.

Second - I have to agree with Jofer here - the way to approach this game consistently changes - and he who figures it out has a huge advantage. All else equal - assuming two players have top tier rosters, decent defense, and win most of their battles - timing is everything. There was a point where simply playing a ton was enough - but those days are gone. Rising to the top early in this environment - as has been proven the last two weeks - can be a fools game (though Killhouse did it well). Heck, a few weeks ago i finished near the top with just over 100 attacks by simply staging things the right way. Its a matter of balancing the best time to make a move - because it's easy to rise when you're down low - and then playing enough to maintain it. Jofer obviously has his timing down - and as proven in the days where sheer bashing was enough - can then shred through lists to maintain that lead after he rises.

And I absolutely agree Eternal shouldn't be handed off or "delegated". It's simply a matter of combining all the elements - a good offense - solid defense - speed - and timing. If any of those are missing - you're not going to grab Eternal.

Congrats to the top three!

Silentknight
06-11-2017, 03:58 PM
First - since this thread is already set - I'm going to use this as a means to hand off any type of weekly PvP thread. I'm feeling a little burnt out - events and so on help - but with summer fun there are simply better things to do right now. Those threads started as a dare from those complaining about the Prisoner so I wanted to provide transparency about his effect - and they helped better elucidate the crazy point system along the way - but i think have run their course. Perhaps the need will arise once again - but for now I'm taking a break. Anyone who wants to continue if they'd like to keep tracking is welcome.

Second - I have to agree with Jofer here - the way to approach this game consistently changes - and he who figures it out has a huge advantage. All else equal - assuming two players have top tier rosters, decent defense, and win most of their battles - timing is everything. There was a point where simply playing a ton was enough - but those days are gone. Rising to the top early in this environment - as has been proven the last two weeks - can be a fools game (though Killhouse did it well). Heck, a few weeks ago i finished near the top with just over 100 attacks by simply staging things the right way. Its a matter of balancing the best time to make a move - because it's easy to rise when you're down low - and then playing enough to maintain it. Jofer obviously has his timing down - and as proven in the days where sheer bashing was enough - can then shred through lists to maintain that lead after he rises.

And I absolutely agree Eternal shouldn't be handed off or "delegated". It's simply a matter of combining all the elements - a good offense - solid defense - speed - and timing. If any of those are missing - you're not going to grab Eternal.

Gunna miss ur posts!!! But yeah, enjoy the summer!!!

Nicko
06-11-2017, 04:06 PM
Gunna miss ur posts!!! But yeah, enjoy the summer!!!

Thanks SK!

I'll still be here posting here and there - and anyone can continue them!

But one thought occurred as I walked away - I mentioned offense, defense, speed, and timing. But there IS one more element - and that is sheer desire. The amount of effort it takes just to be top three is crazy once those attacks come pouring in - and while I have only been Eternal in Beta - can only imagine number one is crazier.

Silentknight
06-11-2017, 04:15 PM
Thanks SK!

I'll still be here posting here and there - and anyone can continue them!

But one thought occurred as I walked away - I mentioned offense, defense, speed, and timing. But there IS one more element - and that is sheer desire. The amount of effort it takes just to be top three is crazy once those attacks come pouring in - and while I have only been Eternal in Beta - can only imagine number one is crazier.

Strategy too! Good Luck to whoever...big shoes to fill! U da man!!!

Jofer16
06-11-2017, 04:19 PM

Feeling the same way, burnt, and not just from the summer heat. Sands of time are running low. And echo Silent, your weekly PvP threads were a reason for me to come to the forums, will be missed by all. Enjoy the warm months :)

Sorry everyone, my last Eminem video, I promise.

https://youtu.be/B8Hg2-cW9Ns

Nicko
06-11-2017, 04:21 PM
Strategy too! Good Luck to whoever...big shoes to fill! U da man!!!

Ha! I just like to write ;)

And exactly - all those elements are then grouped under the heading "strategy" - point being (at this stage of the game) it's not just plowing through endless lists.

Nicko
06-11-2017, 04:29 PM
Feeling the same way, burnt, and not just from the summer heat. Sands of time are running low. And echo Silent, your weekly PvP threads were a reason for me to come to the forums, will be missed by all. Enjoy the warm months :)

https://youtu.be/B8Hg2-cW9Ns

Thanks much! And you probably savor them more than I do with those Minnesota winters ;)

Jofer16
06-11-2017, 04:33 PM
Thanks much! And you probably savor them more than I do with those Minnesota winters ;)

Indeed! "We come from the land of the ice and snow"

https://youtu.be/kEGuHdKn0Lc

scott-5496
06-11-2017, 05:50 PM
I too am a bit worn out after Sparton 500 and last week I just settled back a bit and tried to just stay top 100 as I really am not sure I can be bothered trying to spend more time on anything better - work and family tend to vary demand wise and I need to have those as the main eater of my time! I hand it to all that go for top 10 and especially top 3 - I think I now know that I will never have the hours to do it. I have a semi-decent roster and I have had fun with it over the last couple of days using different and new toons so that has kept me amused, even if I have lost more than usual I think I am now past worrying too much about the difference between a 92% win rate and a 98%-99% win rate....in the end it makes little difference in ranking and I think I am having more fun changing my offence team around than I was using the same 4 for every match.

My new view on the game was also rewarded with a few new toons to play with - I even got a Magus CR which is a great toon to have fun with, as is Wrath and I also got my first Gunner COTD and she is pretty cool too......so I think I am going to concentrate on the fun stuff in the game and in life and forget about going for the big win rates and all that other stuff. Maybe I will get a AoF and a GCR too.....probably not!

Nicko you have done some awesome posts and I will miss the weekly read through on your posts for each week - they were insightful and interesting to get involved with and I am sure loads of others think the same too. Like you I think my time with the game will be for fun and for Troopers and not going to worry so much about top 25 in PVP.....hopefully the new, more common events, will keep me interested as they usually do provide decent loot and there is always new content not too far away (I hope).

For all the hardcore guys into the rankings I salute you and your efforts and you guys do really keep everyone on their toes - I cant see anyone taking Jofer, he is a beast and will continue to be ahead of the rest of the crowds as he will keep on raking in the goodie loot each week in PVP and will ace all the events too I am sure. Unless we get someone who can chuck a lot of money at souls and all the other paid for goodies to get the ultimate roster and unlimited shards (if that is even going to be possible) I can see Jofer heading the lists whenever it takes his fancy, no matter of the folks out there that try to 'give it a go'......I think you will be wasting your time unless he decides he cant be bothered one week!

I think for the rest of us - we can keep dreaming but I can take some solace in the fact that no-ones defence is unbreakable and one day I hope the game goes to real PVP and not what we have just now as that would be very cool and real challenge to all - what we have now just isn't much of a challenge if you have a solid set of teams to go to for certain scenarios (PVP, PVE, LOL on auto) and once you get past suffering the odd defeat (mostly due to RNG, but also some very good defence strategies) then the game, for me at least, gets back to being more fun and not just a time/resources grind.

As ever, UP THE IRONS \m/

Killhouse
06-11-2017, 05:58 PM
Agree with what the others have already echoed. There's a lot of factors that go into Eternal and it's not just bashing through the lists. From what I've seen and experienced, going to the top early will just beat you down all week. Work on speed and come smashing in friday/Saturday when you can score more points per win and rise faster.

I'm at the same point as others, being our very short period of warm weather, lack of content and the need to play 50 matches a day is catching up. Playtime is at a low point and desire even less.

For Eternal the Rewards alone are not worth it, recognition is probably the best reward since the souls will end in dupes.

I'll leave you with a conversation I had with my wife the week I went Eternal and the beast took over my life for a few days... she asked what I'd get from playing so much. I said some souls and skill shards, but people that play will see me at the top. Her reply was "yeah but what about your real friends???" Hahah in the end it's a game and when it's not fun, step back, Eternal is very tough. Congrats on those that keep climbing and fighting it out. You have my support.

Silentknight
06-11-2017, 06:10 PM
Agree with what the others have already echoed. There's a lot of factors that go into Eternal and it's not just bashing through the lists. From what I've seen and experienced, going to the top early will just beat you down all week. Work on speed and come smashing in friday/Saturday when you can score more points per win and rise faster.

I'm at the same point as others, being our very short period of warm weather, lack of content and the need to play 50 matches a day is catching up. Playtime is at a low point and desire even less.

For Eternal the Rewards alone are not worth it, recognition is probably the best reward since the souls will end in dupes.

I'll leave you with a conversation I had with my wife the week I went Eternal and the beast took over my life for a few days... she asked what I'd get from playing so much. I said some souls and skill shards, but people that play will see me at the top. Her reply was "yeah but what about your real friends???" Hahah in the end it's a game and when it's not fun, step back, Eternal is very tough. Congrats on those that keep climbing and fighting it out. You have my support.

I'm real!!!

FallenAngel666
06-11-2017, 06:34 PM

I just respect your words one by one and lol I hot the same conversation with my wife yesterday!!! Lol

FallenAngel666
06-11-2017, 06:46 PM
The meaning of my post was to make a strategical reflection between playing a lot and rise on top at the beginning of the week or to try to rise up at the end.
And I somehow centered what I wanted.
Sometimes to express what you think in a foreign language is not so easy.
But the point of my post was exactly what Nicko said.
I tried both strategies and for how arena actually is it pays out much more to climb up.in the last 2/3 days.

I will miss your posts too Nicko they always were a very interesting way to talk about the last pvp week.

Monte47
06-11-2017, 07:23 PM
Indeed! "We come from the land of the ice and snow"

https://youtu.be/kEGuHdKn0Lc

SKÖL VIKINGS! My home state. Miss it down here in Illinois.
Congrats on the win Jofer!
Will miss the PVP posts Nicko. Thank you for doing them. Enjoy your summer

gmac
06-12-2017, 04:49 PM
Tritium gone :(

No weekly threads :(

Another guy accusing Jofer :(

WTF?!?

First, Jofer my friend, hang in there, congrats on both Eternals, this week and last week too. Good reminder to everybody :)

Everybody, I manage to wrack my phone 10 days a go, and I'm (barely) playing the game on VERY OLD backup phone I have.

Kind of busy at work too, it's like a perfect storm for me.

I sure hope I manage more time to play and be here.

Missed you guys

Is BNW this week? Where are the devs?!?!

BTW, less crashes after update last week.

Cheers
gmac

Caretaker
06-12-2017, 04:56 PM
Just respect for the sheer number of fights done and to all who do it at high win rates. Respect to all who ballance the greatness ingame and in rl, and to all those who don't post that much but are allways around. And to Nicko on his posts and his way with words. And slauki's reasoning. And to kh's wife on the comments ;) and to all who 'suffer' us playing haha

Chaosego888
06-12-2017, 08:16 PM
Thanks FallenAngel for the acknowledgement and I share the same perspective. It was a lot of fun but very draining. Thanks for the several months of weekly threads Nicko. I have never been too much into any form of social media before and those actually made me want to be involved and led me to meeting other cool people that play this game. Congratulations to Jofer on the Tritium Farewell Eternal. We need better rewards for the top spots, especially more of the fragments... Got 3 Eternity Eddies so far!

CanyptianFit
06-12-2017, 08:32 PM
First of all PVP isn't for the faint of heart. Can't take things personal.

Thanks Nicko for your leadership on the weekly PVP threads. Was huge for us as a community.

This game does take stamina, as others have stated, mine is waning. Salute Jofer for his skill and stamina.

I do love Killhouses wife's comment...frankly when I got 3rd place, and the associated recognition from this community makes this community very Real to me...but then again I'm weird? Yes, SK, you are real. GMAC! My wife had a similar reaction though Killhouse.

Heres to hoping for new content as we quickly approach the anniversary of launch.

FallenAngel666
06-13-2017, 05:58 PM
Thanks FallenAngel for the acknowledgement and I share the same perspective. It was a lot of fun but very draining. Thanks for the several months of weekly threads Nicko. I have never been too much into any form of social media before and those actually made me want to be involved and led me to meeting other cool people that play this game. Congratulations to Jofer on the Tritium Farewell Eternal. We need better rewards for the top spots, especially more of the fragments... Got 3 Eternity Eddies so far!

Again congrats for what you have done the last week...I spent some little hard time with you lol!!!!

For the rest i agree that prizesz for the top 3 should be higher than the others because of the hard work that stays behind such rank

Jofer16
06-17-2017, 01:58 AM
SKÖL VIKINGS! My home state. Miss it down here in Illinois.
Congrats on the win Jofer!
Will miss the PVP posts Nicko. Thank you for doing them. Enjoy your summer

Skol! Yeah, veins have always pumped purple, I'm a sucker for self torture :) Was at the 98 championship game Moss's rookie year where we flopped, that season was a fun ride.

Oh and this is the real PvP week 18 thread. L2 read the forums people lol