PDA

View Full Version : Your top maiden songs

Nekroliun
08-14-2016, 03:48 PM
THIS IS 100% OPINION
Hey guy it is me GamerGod88, today we are gonna rank the maiden songs ((not all) obviously)
1.Lord Of Light
2.Wrathchild
3.The Clansman (you cant deny that this is a masterpiece)
4.Moonchild
5.Iron Maiden
6.For The Greater Good Of God
7.The Trooper
8.The Rime Of The Ancient Mariner
9.Fear Of The Dark
10.Phantom Of The Opera
11.Number of The Beast
12.Sign Of The Cross
13.Blood Brothers
14.The Evil That Men Do
15.The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg
16.The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner (das one hell of a name)

Honorable Mentions: every single maiden song not mentioned her

Ive been confused on top 5 or top 10 so top 7 it is. Yes dance of death is no1 for me cuz i just like everything it has to offer, the story, the way it starts so calm and goes wild so fast, the lyrics, the guitar, the drums. Everything about is perfect, imo ofc. Can i play with madness wouldve been no1 but its just too short...
The story is something big, the rime of the ancient mariner wouldnt have been on this list if not for its story, and that also boosted dance of death to no1.

What do you think of my choices? Leave your own list and opinion down bellow. Make yours a top 10 if u want, who am i to judge u

This has been GamerGod88 thanks for watching everyone.

Dutch
08-14-2016, 04:07 PM
1- Paschendale
2- Phantom of the opera
3- Dance of death
4- Hallowed be..
5- Rime of the ancient
6- No prayer for the dying
7- Fear of the dark

I find it so hard to list songs in this way so this list is just current mood, although Paschendale is my number 1 and will always be

Nekroliun
08-14-2016, 06:04 PM
If i wrote a top 10 paschendale wouldve been 9th defeated by powerslave and no10 wouldve been number of the beast

The Educated fool
08-15-2016, 12:46 AM
Smokes man, ranking individual Maiden songs is a daunting prospect. Up the Irons!

Nekroliun
08-15-2016, 05:52 AM
Ikr it took me about 40 mins to decide my fav, and i even forgot 2mins2mid! There are so many perfect masterpieces out there, i wouldve put empre of the clouds on here but... Actually imma edit something real quick

Olevipoeg
08-15-2016, 06:11 AM
I think my favourite song is Hallowed by thy name live version from Live after Death
2. Where Eagles Dare ( It was the first Maiden song I heard )
3. Phatom of the Opera
4. Caught Somewhere In Time
5. 22 Accacia avenue
6. Children of the Damned
7. Still Life
8. Flash of the blade
9. Rimes of the ancient mariner
10.Running free
[EDIT]
After listening newer albums, I want add Dance of Death and Montségur.

Nekroliun
08-15-2016, 06:57 AM
Intresting list, i like your choices, hallowed by thy name from live after death is too different for me, cant put in in my favs, CaughtSIT, 22acaciaAvenue, still life, flash of a blade are all wonderful songs i cant believe how can i forget such great ones, still they do deserve atleast an honourable mention.

Dutch
08-15-2016, 07:51 AM
Totally forgot about 22 lol!

Watchman
08-15-2016, 08:43 AM
1. Hallowed be thy name
2. Revelations
3. Infinite Dreams
4. Blood Brothers
5. Dream of Mirrors
6. Dance of Death
7. Afraid to shoot strangers
8. The Trooper
9. Empire of the Clouds
10. Wasted years
11. Alexander the Great
12. The number of the Beast
13. Run to the Hills
14. The Wicker Man
15. The Book of souls

Special mentions (no ranking): Phantom of the Opera, Children of the Damned, Still life, Aces High, 2 Minutes 2 Midnight, Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Caught somewhere in Time, The loneliness of the long distance runner, Stranger in a strange land, The evil that men do, 7th son of a 7th son, The clairvoyant, Fear of the Dark, Sign of the Cross, Ghost of the Navigator, Brave New World, Paschendale, These colours don't run, For the greater good of god, When the wild wind blows, The red and the black

Bonus round - The worst song (in my opinion of course): The Assassin

Kaijester
08-15-2016, 08:53 AM
Here's my top 3 in a meme

Nekroliun
08-15-2016, 09:02 AM
Bonus round - The worst song (in my opinion of course): The Assassin

worst song? Good idea, if i had to choose id say: The apparition, ive tryed listening to it over and over again but instead of making me like it more i hated it even more, it never got me and will never.

Ive got a feeling many will choose the angel and the gambler as the worst but atleat that song can be listened to and has good parts, the angel and the gambler is repetitive with using the same phrase 726 times, the apparition? Its just dull and boring
Opinion ofc

OpticSugar
08-15-2016, 02:48 PM
Foreword: Back in Junior high when I was a metalhead, I recall setting my VCR to record a heavy metal documentary on Mtv. It was a great documentary and it featured interviews with everyone from the Scorpions, ACDC, Ozzy, Dio... etc... I don't recall the name of the documentary, but it was important enough at the time for me to want to tape it. Immediately after the documentary, a live concert began with an ominous tone rumbling and Churchill's speech began. There was enough room on the VHS tape so I figured, why not. It then exploded with Aces High and I was never the same after that. It was from the World Slavery Tour, and from that moment on I was a Maiden fan.

The first chance I got I made Somewhere in Time my first Maiden album (which at the time was the latest release) after which I bought everything from Number of the Beast on... I was obsessed. They instantly became my favorite band. I remember when Seventh Son was released and I really enjoyed that album. After that, my interests in music shifted and I didn't revisit them much until about 7 years ago.

I personally feel that the albums Number of the Beast, Peace of Mind, and Powerslave are masterpieces. There's not a bad song on any of those three albums (maybe the worst song being "Quest for Fire", but even that's not too bad). It was hard for me to make this list, but here is my top 20:

Number of the Beast
Children of the Dammed
Hallowed be thy Name
Powerslave (one of my favorite guitar solos of all time)
22 Acacia Avenue
Flight of Icarus
Revelations
Still Life (suprised not to see this on many of your lists)
Aces High
The Trooper
Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Wasted Years
Infinite Dreams
Die with your Boots On
Moonchild
The Clairvoyant
Can I Play with Madness
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (the chorus is a little weak but the solos are epic)
Empire of the Clouds
Coming Home

Nekroliun
08-15-2016, 03:05 PM
The educated fool is right, its a real challenge to decide the best songs, but imo the one song everyone is gonna probably put in theyre list is obviously: hallowed be thy name, its just too great to not be on anyone's list.

Hey is just me or is the trooper based off hallowed be thy name??? I feel like it has the same tune.

Surt
08-16-2016, 06:15 PM
Pretty hard question... Argh... my mind is going to blow.
here's 10 of my favorite songs but so much more deserve a place here
Blood brothers
Flash of the blade
Hallowed be thy name
Empire of the clouds
Seventh son of a seventh son
For the greater good of god
Children of the damned
Caught somewhere in time
Afraid to shoot strangers
Ghost of the navigator

Nekroliun
08-16-2016, 06:17 PM
Ye its hard to choose songs, cant fit them all in a top 10 list.

OpticSugar
08-16-2016, 07:23 PM
Ye its hard to choose songs, cant fit them all in a top 10 list.

yeah, that's why I made a top 20 list.

Ian Gallagher
08-17-2016, 12:01 PM
Thank you so much for sharing the list of the songs. I was looking for something to listen to. In my turn, I would want to leave this here: http://bigpaperwriter.com/blog/the-rime-of-the-ancient-mariner-essay You will be amazed.

Nekroliun
08-17-2016, 01:43 PM
Das the story for the rime of the ancient mariner? Its one of the reasons i like that song, its a great story, a good story too is the dance of death which is my fav song, a guy gets kidnapped while drunk by something and participates in a dance of death, if u dunno what a dance of death is search it on wikipedia, actually here it is https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danse_Macabre. Great song

Jennie-5128
08-17-2016, 05:23 PM
The Wicker Man and Phantom of the Opera have been alternating as my ringtone since forever, so any top ten would have to include those. The other 8 would change daily I reckon.

Topical ref for Phantom is this great Lucozade ad from when I was a kid featuring one of GB's greatest ever Olympians:

https://youtu.be/D4YTB5FZeHQ

OpticSugar
08-17-2016, 06:07 PM
The Wicker Man and Phantom of the Opera have been alternating as my ringtone since forever, so any top ten would have to include those.

If you can have a song as your ringtone for that long and not be sick of it - then it has some serious lasting power.

I'm actually a little concerned about some of the music that they have in this game, because you hear it looped so frequently - I fear I will start to burn out from hearing it too much. And I don't want to get sick of this music! I've been listening to a lot of Maiden live shows on youtube instead of the in-game audio as a result.

Bryan-3528
08-17-2016, 07:30 PM
I don't think I could complie a list because I like so many of their songs a lot. Which is a testament to how great of a band they are and what great songwriters they are as well.

I love pretty much all of the songs folks have listed here but I will add 2 more that I didn't see: "Stranger in a Strange Land", and "Be Quick or Be Dead"

Also the intro to "Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner" to me is epic.

The Educated fool
08-17-2016, 08:48 PM
Be Quick or Be Dead is underrated AF.

Nekroliun
08-18-2016, 12:01 AM
I'm actually a little concerned about some of the music that they have in this game, because you hear it looped so frequently - I fear I will start to burn out from hearing it too much. And I don't want to get sick of this music! I've been listening to a lot of Maiden live shows on youtube instead of the in-game audio as a result.

Tbh Ive been stopping sometimes mid-battle just to hear the songs playing! The wickerman plays in the secret location in ailing and the wixkerman mission, aces high i think in a matter of life and death, powerslave in powerslave (duh) and never stopped to hear what plays in number of the beast though, too concentrated on not losing

Sometimes i open the book of souls just to listen to the song, who cares about getting new chars anyways

Jennie-5128
08-19-2016, 01:13 PM
Be Quick or Be Dead is underrated AF.
Agreed!
Something that came up on my Spotify playlist today which is also underrated: Judas My Guide. That song has such an urgent groove to it.

MadMax
08-19-2016, 06:31 PM
You guys are going to make me pull up my playlist on iTunes to see which ones I actually play the most.

Jennie-5128
08-19-2016, 08:12 PM
You guys are going to make me pull up my playlist on iTunes to see which ones I actually play the most.
Good plan!

Bob.A.Smith-6226
08-19-2016, 09:11 PM
As I sit here waiting for my sands of time to refill suddenly Wasted Years comes to mind.

The Educated fool
08-20-2016, 12:07 AM
Agreed!
Something that came up on my Spotify playlist today which is also underrated: Judas My Guide. That song has such an urgent groove to it.

Definitely! I'm a big fan of Childhood's End too. :cool:

Sudjenica
09-20-2016, 10:20 AM
Even though it's very difficult to chose top favorite songs, mostly because my taste keeps changing and the band keeps growing (in every sense of the word) and producing more top quality songs and writing about more serious topics, I'd say 2 Minutes to Midnight is No. 1, then comes Flash of the Blade, Only the Good Die Young, Die With Your Boots On, The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, Lord of the Flies, Lightning Strikes Twice, The Wicker Man, Dream of Mirrors (absolutely love this one), Paschendale, For the Greater Good of God...

KuroKitty
10-17-2016, 06:53 AM
My list of Maiden songs is quite long but I'll name the best ones in my top 20

1.Number of the Beast
2.Run to the Hills
3.The Evil that Men Do
4.Aces High
5.The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
6.Strange World
7.Wrathchid
8.Holy Smoke
9.Fear of the Dark
10.The Trooper
11.Killers
12.Women in Uniform
13.Blood Brothers
14.Remember Tomorrow
15.Revelations
16.Purgatory
17.For the Greater Good of God
18.Prodigal Son
19.Transylvania
20.Murders in the Rue Morge

It doesn't end there but those are the ones I listen to most :)

Reeb99
10-17-2016, 09:11 AM
Wasted Years without a doubt at the top. Also like pretty much all of Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. After that it's here and there like Number of the Beast, Holy Smoke, Run to the Hills, etc.

I will say that you haven't heard Maiden in all their glory unless you've seen them play live. Seriously, if you haven't, you need to find a way. They are simply unbelievable live. Lots more solos, crazy stunts like rubbing the guitar strings on the amp stacks, every concert series has its own props like giant Eddies. I was 100% sober and it blew my mind. Only band I ever saw that was close to as good a show was Judas Priest. Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax all paled in comparison.

Nekroliun
05-04-2017, 08:01 PM
Reviving this to see the new generation of forumers' (is that a word?) lists (hopefully)

And because ive had a change of haert and my top songs for the last 5ish months have nothing to do with the ones that were on the list, the lord of light is no1 cuz simply put it, its a masterpiece.

Tridimensionale
05-04-2017, 08:47 PM
1.Powerslave
2.Hallowed be thy name
3.Dance of death
4.Infinite dreams
5.Be quick or be dead
6.Number of the beast
7.Wasted years
8.Revelations
9.Flight of icarus
10.Fear of the dark

More or less my top should be this.. and as someone stated before live they are unbelivable. no other bands like them.

Askora
05-04-2017, 08:59 PM
A few of my top picks, in no particular order:

2 Minutes to Midnight
Still Life
Losfer Words
Flight of Icarus
The Trooper
Sheriff of Huddersfield
Children of the Damned
Killers

Too many to choose from to be honest.

Grim
05-04-2017, 09:05 PM
I won't make any list, a few week ago I was asked to choose my favourite 100 metal songs. Deciding what to leave out of it was rather nasty, I still feel traumatized, so many awesome songs...

Kardas
05-04-2017, 10:11 PM
Never saw this thread, about time I contribute. I will say I am a big fan of proggy Maiden.

My favorite song is probably Rime of the Ancient Mariner, other big ones for me are:
- Empire of the Clouds
- Paschendale
- Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (this is actually my favorite album)
- Hallowed Be Thy Name
- Powerslave

Other ones I really like are Stranger In a Strange Land, Wasted Years, Moonchild, The Edge of Darkness (favorite Blaze song), The Wicker Man, Blood Brothers, and the usual stuff like NotB, Trooper, FotD...

Mariner-1212
07-13-2017, 03:20 PM
1. The Evil That Men Do
2. Hallowed Be Thy Name (Live)
3. Sea Of Madness
4. Aces High
5. Alexander The Great
6. Powerslave
7. Revelations (Live)
8. Judas My Guide
9. Rime of the Ancient Mariner
10. (Tie) The Clairvoyant / Caught Somewhere In Time

And Book Of Souls deserves some love, but I can't put the test of time against it because it's so new. Dance of Death is also great.

Witkacy
07-13-2017, 10:19 PM
Evening all :)

I AM pretty much surprised that NOBODY has mentioned any of instrumental as the favourites... I simply cannot believe in this... Despite the fact they have no lyrics, they all tell the great stories written just by notes and you can imagine them in your head...

So my list will be opposite to everyone's beloved ones and a bit short :p

1. The Ides Of March
2. Genghis Khan
3. Transylvania
4. Losfer Words (Big 'Orra)

Cheers,

W

Rain88
07-13-2017, 11:12 PM
That's like the hardest question. The best I could do is to try to classify the songs into 2 categories: songs that I can't exist without and songs I can listen to 24/7. Most probably these songs are uncommon opinion but here goes.

Songs that I can't exist without:
Revelations (used to be my favourite song until i figured out what the lyrics are about, bleh), Rainmaker, Phantom of the Opera, Lord of the Files, Dream of Mirrors, The Evil that Men Do, Flight of Icarus, Blood Brothers, The Clansman, Wasted Years, Ghost of Navigator, The Educated Fool

Songs that I can listen to 24/7:
Afraid to Shoot Strangers, Total Eclipse, Deja Vu, Still Life, When the River Runs Deep (most underrated song from Book of Souls), Wildest Dreams, Gates of Tomorrow, When the Wild Wind Blows, Transylvania (here's an instrumental, Witkacy), The Wicker Man (Despite his "mighty" damage in Legacy), 2 Minutes to Midnight, Futureal

MrFreeze
07-13-2017, 11:35 PM
A lot of great ones have been mentioned. I didn't notice this one on any lists, but I'm not even gonna try to make a list so I don't fault anyone.

https://youtu.be/Yfk5-y_pYac

Rodrigo-3281
07-13-2017, 11:53 PM
I went down chronologically and picked my favorite songs from each album because trying to pair it down to a top 10 or top 15 is kind of impossible.

1. Strange World (Soundhouse Tapes version)
2. Phantom of the Opera -this is my favorite Maiden song.
3. Killers
4. Hallowed Be Thy Name
5. 22 Acacia Avenue
6. Children of the Damned
7. Die With Your Boots On
8. The Trooper
9. Rime of the Ancient Mariner
10. 2 Minutes to Midnight
11. Aces High
12. Wasted Years
13. Alexander the Great
14. Stranger In A Strange Land
15. Infinite Dreams
16. Only the Good Die Young
17. Seventh Son of A Seventh Son
18. Bring Your Daughter...to the Slaughter
19. Fear of the Dark
20. Be Quick or Be Dead
21. Sign of the Cross (Rock in Rio version)
22. The Edge of Darkness
23. The Clansman (Rock In Rio version)
24. Dream of Mirrors
25. Ghost of the Navigator
26. Paschendale
27. Brighter than a Thousand Suns
28. The Talisman
29. When the Wild Win Blows
30. Empire of the Clouds
31. The Red and the Black

thealchemist
07-14-2017, 07:36 AM
My fav and number 1 is - Run to the Hills. Rest are in no particular order.

Children of the damned
Bring your daught to the slaughter
Fear of the dark
Blood brothers
Be quick or be dead
The Prisoner
Hallowed be thy name
Aces High
Where Eagles dare
Powerslave
Brave New World
the Nomad