PDA

View Full Version : I just can't enjoy this game anymore

HeadOnFire
09-15-2017, 04:38 AM
Setting aside the constant crashes that I experience while trying to play Legacy of the Beast, the game's content itself seems to be faltering. Even if I could play through a single dungeon or a couple of Arena battles, I don't think I would bother anymore.

Devs: please drop the "Valkyries", forget the "Dragon Kings," and get back to IRON MAIDEN lore. The only reason anyone even looked at this game in the first place was because it carried the immortal name of Iron Maiden. Every single person who downloaded this game did so because they love Iron Maiden's music and wanted to play a game that is based on the literature and imagery that is conjured by their music. Most of the game seems to be fairly well-aligned with Maiden lore, but the recent content seems to me... arbitrary. Dragon Kings and Valkyries? These have absolutely nothing to do with Iron Maiden if you understand what their songs are about.

I'll start with the Valkyrie characters. Some dev in some post claimed the Valkyries were inspired by "The Longest Day," which is a song about the invasion of Omaha Beach during World War II. This song does briefly mention the Valkyries, but not in a literal sense. Valkyries were Norse goddesses that decided who would die in battle and who would live. The lyrics of The Longest Day:

"Valhalla waits, Valkyries rise and fall
The warrior tombs, lie open for us all"

refer to the sense of impending doom that the Allied soldiers felt as their small boats approached the shore, with soldiers dying before they even had a chance to get out of the boats. The mention of "Valkyries" was merely a metaphor for the seemingly arbitrary mass of death before and during that battle. There were no actual Valkyries at D-day, and Iron Maiden's reference to Valkyries in this song was purely metaphorical and did not at all imply there were actual goddesses on the battlefield deciding who would live and who would die. The devs just shoe-horned these characters into the game with no regard for Iron Maiden lore or literature. And, as if that weren't bad enough, the characters look like freaking hentai sexdolls with guns for arms. That is just pathetic. If the developers aren't taking this game seriously, how can anybody else?!

And as for the Dragon Kings, these characters were clearly derived from the Brave New World lyrics:

"Dragon Kings
Dying Queens
Where is salvation now?"

The song Brave New World is based on the book "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley, which depicted a futuristic dystopian world where humans are grown in factories and separated into social castes that are designated by Greek letters. The lower castes, Gammas, Deltas and Epsilons, are deliberately stunted by malnourishing them as embryos and feeding them alcohol as fetuses to render them mentally and physically inferior. The upper castes, Betas and especially Alphas, are well-fed and cared for to ensure their superiority. Each person's role in society is determined before they are even born, and are mentally conditioned from birth to happily accept their role. Actual dragons have absolutely nothing to do with the story; Iron Maiden used the term "dragon kings" to metaphorically describe the upper class Alphas of this fictional society because of their objective superiority and dominance over their Beta, Gamma, Delta, and Epsilon subordinates.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but I can't help but think that the developers of this game have thrown Iron Maiden lore out the window and are just grasping for the simplest of ideas instead of truly understanding Maiden songs and creating content based on the actual ideas behind the songs. Since completing the story, I just don't feel like I'm playing in the "Iron Maiden universe." I feel more like I'm playing a generic freemium game.

And it canNOT be said that they have exhausted Iron Maiden lore, and have nothing left to base content on. They could make an ocean map based on "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" and "Ghost of the Navigator," consisting of a chain of islands, with the Ancient Mariner as the boss (and a future ally). They could make another map or dungeon based on "Run to the Hills," where a technologically superior race is trying to conquer a native indigenous race and drive them out of their homeland. The Iron Maiden catalog is rich with possibilities, and being overlooked in favor of simple, unrelated content. Am I out of line here? Does anyone else feel like the developers of this game have simply stopped drawing inspiration from Iron Maiden, and resorted to simple, barely-related ideas to pump out content? I hate to be so pessimistic, but I had high hopes for this game when I first started playing, and I can't help but feel like the original premise of this game is being abandoned.

mjmxiii
09-15-2017, 06:03 AM
You arent out of line at all! I mentioned in another thread that NF is really missing the boat lately and these points you make are what I was talking about. They've misinterpreted a lot of the things that Maiden implies in their lyrics. Taking things too literal and out of context. And yeah its so obvious they've misunderstood the meanings. They read "Dragon King" and thought, "Biotech is Godzilla" lol... the hentai chicks are so far out of left field that it still makes me smh when I see them. If you look up Valkyries on Google, you get the idea that they should look more like they come from Viking Eds world, which would go really well in some medieval Invaders world that could work well with viking invasions set in England during that period of history more than what they are relevant to now (absoluetly nothing!). So much potential to tell great stories and really add to the Maiden lore that we as Maiden fans can easily envision. Again, NF really needs to start seeing the real possibilities here.

I really like the ideas you have for some future worlds! Shaman and RTTH could play a role in a world based on Run to the Hills. A world based on Rime and Ghost would also be great!

DaveMurray
09-15-2017, 12:22 PM
Read Sparton post http://forum.ironmaidenlegacy.com/showthread.php?8870-PvP-Attrition&p=56881&viewfull=1#post56881

Let's hope that what he says is true and they will get back on track.

scott-5496
09-15-2017, 02:34 PM
I still think the Valks are to assist in the Asian market and/or anime fans. They have zero to do with Iron Maiden regardless of a mention in lyrics - I think the use of that is more to do with marketing to a broader base. The Valks certainly have zero to do with WW1 or 2 so I think it is just a push for a wider market appeal especially on the anime side of things. Quite a few characters have that look including some of the Rescuers.

Dank Brew
09-20-2017, 07:34 PM
These ideas you have are awesome. I'd love a rime of the ancient mariner island theme, and a run to the hills theme. They really should take this advice, it could possibly blow BNW out of the water lol - plus hearing rime of the ancient mariner playing while battling a boss would be badass

Witkacy
09-20-2017, 10:36 PM
Good evening gals & guys :)

It happened that I've tested a new update and even had the chance to try out some new characters the game offers again thanks to bunch of you good people who didn't get rid off me yet! - Thanks...
So... Today's post will be about characters - one of the most important aspects of any game, I think...

I believe I've read here somewhere that ''the game is about collecting characters right now, nothing more'' or something like that in the sense...

Well... As it goes for me - I even not ''collect'' - just keep what I find useful, but that's it... Yet I am not getting attached to any of them far too much though, except Eddies... If you'd wonder gals & guys - why's that so - the answer is quite obvious: the VAST majority of the IRON MAIDEN's mobile game characters have NOTHING or very little common with Iron Maiden themselves, their ''universe'', songs, music, covers - everything!

This especially can be seen upon launching the new characters - sure thing: they look nice, been funny, yet somehow NOT appealing to me as ''Maiden'' characters at all... Pitty... Just did quick look on ''Choppers'' - Is anyone of them has Maiden's patch on the jacket's sleeve... I guess no - just something ''metal'' on the back... Yet this is IRON MAIDEN's game...

Sure I won't be bashing anyone here or complain - as it is - not especially care to ''collect'' any Allies...
I would more or less accept the choices been made, knowing there are very LITTLE characters except Eddies could be shown as ''Maiden ones'' - but this is obviously not true - there ARE plenty of them - could be linked for real with Maiden - not just mentioned somewhere in the song - yet having a WHOLE songs about them, or being ''Very Important Persons'' in Maiden's World - been spotted in songs, covers, arts, yet somehow not present in the game... Just A FEW examples off head written - the characters MIGHT BE: Prowler, Phantom Of The Opera, Charlotte The Harlot, Wrathchild, Genghis Khan, Lamia, Women In Uniform, Black Bart, Juanita, Sheriff Of Huddersfield, Icarus, Muad'Dib or Kwisatz Haderach, Alex The Great, Ancient Mariner, Albatross, Cross-Eyed Mary (well she's borrowed, yet still counts), Benjamin Breeg... Etc, etc...

I guess we having 150 various dogs in the game - but NOT the black cat with the aureole above his head... Why? The Kitty is more ''Maidenish'' than all the dogs gathered together... Hell! Even good 'ol Mickey Mouse is more ''Maiden'' than some characters of ''Maiden'' game... And so on and so on...
Why to bring so sweet as teeth hurts Valkyries - ''in the future world'' instead of taking all the bar's crew been picutred on ''Stranger In A Strange Land'' single?

I could be asked a few questions more in that manner... Well... Dunno what ''vision'' of the game the devs and producers have - one might like it, while others DON'T - (that's where I stand)... As longtime and die-hard Maiden fan I am hardly accepting the characters' choice - so humble PLEASE anyone in charge - bring MORE TRUE Maiden characters into Maiden's game!!! Thank you kindly...

Cheers,

W

GotN
09-20-2017, 10:46 PM
Great spoken like always Wit! This is, what it's all about- or should be. Listen to him devs and all the other guys and gals who bring in great ideas to make this game what it should be like- all about MAIDEN and first of all for their fans!
Up the irons \m/

Rain88
09-20-2017, 11:40 PM
Witkacy, spot on. At the early start, the game was a true reflection of maiden (the spotlight characters were nomad, prisoner, wicker man ... etc) . Nowadays ,the spotlight characters are space sl*ts and "funny" demons (even developers are not sure where these "funny" demons were mentioned in maiden lyrics)

HeadOnFire
09-23-2017, 01:43 AM
Read Sparton post http://forum.ironmaidenlegacy.com/showthread.php?8870-PvP-Attrition&p=56881&viewfull=1#post56881

Let's hope that what he says is true and they will get back on track.

Thanks for that link. It's always encouraging when the developers of a game keep in touch with the community.

... Nowadays ,the spotlight characters are space sl*ts and "funny" demons...

Lol, thanks for the laugh. I needed that

LandCrusher70
09-23-2017, 07:01 PM
...I had high hopes for this game when I first started playing, and I can't help but feel like the original premise of this game is being abandoned.
Man I sure did too.

Not part of the premise of the game, but something I thought would be a reoccurring feature, was the "Secret" Level when FotD Eddie was introduced (Halloween last year). A whole level with multiple dungeons and special characters you could earn/win. That was awesome. If my memory serves me correctly, that NEVER happened again....