PDA

View Full Version : Forum Acronyms

CanadianGoldenEagle
09-27-2017, 04:08 PM
All,

I know and completely understand that there are a lot of seasoned forum members/posters and so this may sound like a very strange request.

Would it be possible for someone to create a list of acronyms used within this forum so that newcomers, and also people like myself who rarely post to forums, can understand the posts?

Some of the acronyms used are self-explanatory, e.g. NBOL > NewBorn Of Light, BNW > Brave New World etc but there are others which aren't as easy to translate. Some in use are also used within forums for other terms, e.g. In the Talisman subforum there is a thread for 'Thorn + Void Talisman = Possible OP'. In common forum parlance the acronym OP means Original Poster, in the context of the stated thread it must mean something different.

My apologies if this seems to be a crazy request, and also highlights my ignorance, but I hope you can see where I'm coming from.

Cheers

Ken
CanadianGoldenEagle

Nekroliun
09-27-2017, 04:20 PM
Im sure slauki has the time to make a list for u...

But yea, OP in gaming stands for over powered, as in should be nerfed/totally broken.

slauki
09-27-2017, 04:40 PM
Im sure slauki has the time to make a list for u...

But yea, OP in gaming stands for over powered, as in should be nerfed/totally broken.

okay nekro i will start with this one:

mofo is an acronym for motherfucker. not always used in a bad way ofc :)

ofc is an acronym for of course :P

Nekroliun
09-27-2017, 05:01 PM
okay nekro i will start with this one:

mofo is an acronym for motherfucker. not always used in a bad way ofc :)

ofc is an acronym for of course :P

I always knew we could rely on you slauki.

Also, SOIGTFYUWMDDC stands for stop or im going to fuck you up with my dragon dildo collection

Nekro stands for yours truly *ahem* me.

CanadianGoldenEagle
09-27-2017, 06:27 PM
Thank you. I work in IT so my life consists of acronyms and so my understanding of a lot within the forum can be completely different to their intended meaning. It's just to help myself and other new players/members.

Dank Brew
09-27-2017, 06:35 PM
this may sound like a very strange request.

No... This is the best request. Too many times I had no idea what people were talking about. Is there a bookmark option so I can easily find this? lol

Tridimensionale
09-27-2017, 06:42 PM
There was this but not very usefull i think.. http://forum.ironmaidenlegacy.com/showthread.php?4372-Help-with-Abbreviations&highlight=Abbreviations

Maybe Canadian the best thing when you don t understand an abbreviation is just ask :)

Dank Brew
09-27-2017, 06:57 PM
I guess I'll actually start it with what I know...

GRE - Grim reaper eddie
VHE - Vampire hunter eddie
SOL - Speed of light eddie
AHE - Aces high eddie
RTTH - Run to the hills eddie
CRE - Carriage rider eddie

MCR, GCR, ACR - magus/gunner/assassin corrupt rescuer
PSS - Pharaoh sun spirit
AoF - Angel of fear
PDK - Pharaoh dog king
SSD - Sentinel soulless demon
CoTD - Child of the damned
GPD - Golden Pharaoh dog
GS - Golden son

Dupe/Harpy/Ox/owl - Duplicate item and I hate the world

SOT - Sands of time
SOW- Sands of war
IC - Iron coins

KOTS - Kingdom of the sands
BNW - Brave new world
GOF - Garden of fear
GOL - Garden of life
GOD - Garden of dismay
LOL - Lord Of Light

lol - laugh out loud...

Nekroliun
09-27-2017, 07:16 PM
There was this but not very usefull i think.. http://forum.ironmaidenlegacy.com/showthread.php?4372-Help-with-Abbreviations&highlight=Abbreviations

Maybe Canadian the best thing when you don t understand an abbreviation is just ask :)

Damn, this post is back in the golden Kaijester age! Good old times!

Dank Brew
09-27-2017, 07:24 PM
Damn, this post is back in the golden Kaijester age! Good old times!

Yeah, my acronyms have improved a lot since then. lol

kkkreg5
09-27-2017, 08:16 PM
Yeah, I had to ask my 15 year what some of the acronyms were...

CanadianGoldenEagle
09-27-2017, 10:46 PM
Thank you.

I know, and willingly accept, that my knowledge within forums is bested by people who aren't even half my age - most of the time I don't even fully comprehend what my work colleagues are talking about unless I can understand the context - but I wanted to get some more knowledge about the terms used within this forum. If it was pure Iron Maiden acronyms, e.g. DOD,SSOSS,BNW,XF,VXI,LAD etc then I'd be alright with them. When trying to decipher characters and such it can be awkward. If someone writes ET then I immediately think of the little brown gobshite that wanted to phone home, I don't immediately think of Echo Talisman.

To make things easier I can understand the following:

S/M/W/A/G prior to the acronym, if in the terms of a character or talisman, stand for Sentinel/Magus/Warrior/Assassin/Gunner respectively.
NBOL is Newborn Of Light
AoS/AoP/AoF is one of the Angels (I think these are a Tenuous link the The Angel and the Gambler, can't think of any others that involve angels)
Harpy/Masked Harpy are self-explanatory (i.e. Thicko's like me can work it out)
COC is Corrupt Ox Cultist or Sacrifice-Fodder

Others I am able to gather a faint idea but it can be difficult if the acronym is close to another used within common forum parlance.

Thank you all for the assistance, so far, and being lenient towards an inexperienced forum member. I hope I'm able to repay the favour and assistance someday.

Ken