PDA

View Full Version : What to do with my skill shards?

SlabBacon
03-06-2018, 12:37 AM
I'm very new to the game, and am wondering what I should do. I've saved up 25 skill shards, enough to fully upgrade my Samurai Eddie. Is that a smart choice or would it be better to upgrade a couple of my support characters? For example, I have a Soulless Demon (Sentinel) and Child of the Damned (Magus) that I use a lot right now. I'm leaning toward upgrading Eddie, but it seems like skill shards are hard to come by so I don't want to waste them.

zamasu
03-06-2018, 10:03 PM
What do you want them for? campain or Arena?

I would wait to get better characters. Blue CotD is not that good to SS when you are just starting. SSD is a good choice but only with the right team. You want to skill a solid team first so you progress further in the game.

Reeb99
03-06-2018, 10:14 PM
Samurai Eddie is the most versatile of the three, so if you have to use them that would be the place. The other two aren't bad, but more limited on the kinds of teams they fit on. The soulless demon can be good with the right team, but some of those, like The Prisoner, are harder to get. I still don't have one of those. Samurai is more for farming, and he can be pretty good farming with some more common characters.

Askora
03-06-2018, 10:18 PM
What Zamasu said. Samurai is ok, but there are far better Eddies for use in arena and campaign. Without knowing the rest of your line-up it's difficult to recommend who deserves the skill shards. If you're still working your way through the campaign than talismans should probably be the biggest focus. My recommendation would be green (energy and shields and maybe a set of blind) plus colors that compliment the characters you're using. Not sure what talismans you have available. There are quite a few that are just ok for campaign but later don't give much benefit.

If you post your in-game id it would allow people to look at your team and give a better recommendation. The forum has a lot of great members and many that are willing to give some of their hard earned wisdom.

Yup
03-06-2018, 10:18 PM
Yeah I'd wait.. or think of different characters.

Kind of depends on where you are in the game. If you have Grim Reaper Eddie, throw him the shards. If you don't have GRE yet.. then wait for better characters.

The Demon can be decent for PvP at the lower levels, but it's not terribly helpful for the overall story mode. And I wouldn't throw anything on the Magus CotD. There are much better characters to come.

All that being posted Samurai is no slouch by any means if you are constantly using him. He's merely not the most rounded Eddie out there.

What I did initially was to spread out the Skill Shards. Nothing anywhere states you need to throw all your skill shards on the same character. Throw 3-4 on an Eddie, then 3-4 on a couple supporting characters, etc. This way, you sort of "rank up" an entire team and while none of the characters may be "full power" for a while they are all more powerful overall making completing levels/battles overall easier.

Reeb99
03-06-2018, 10:26 PM
Yeah I'd wait.. or think of different characters.

Kind of depends on where you are in the game. If you have Grim Reaper Eddie, throw him the shards. If you don't have GRE yet.. then wait for better characters.

I'm of the opinion that GRE is a huge waste of skill shards. It takes a bazillion to finish him, and he's only good then, not great. I wish I could remove the shards I spent on him. On the other hand, I'm glad I maxed out Soldier Eddie. Soldier Eddie is only passed up by Navigator Eddie for autofarming, in my opinion. He's not too shabby with explosive and chance sets.

Deano82
03-06-2018, 11:03 PM
There are better eddies out there than the samurai so I would either save those skill shards for now or spread them out across your supporting characters

SlabBacon
03-07-2018, 09:30 PM
Thanks for all the replies and advice.

To answer your question, zamasu, right now I'm more focused on the campaign. I've completed Underworld on Normal, except for two skulls on The Beast (survive with 2 allies and 75% health). So I'm working on the Hard and Madness modes for the different realms. My team for that stuff is Samurai Eddie, and two out of the following, depending on what the skull requirements are: Soulless Demon (Sentinel), Angel of Fear (Warrior), Child of the Damned (Magus), and Undead Allied Soldier (Gunner).

As per your suggestion, Askora, my game ID is Slabbacon-6219. I've got a bunch of characters in my inventory, as I'm hesitant to sacrifice ones that look like they might be interesting.

JJJ428
03-07-2018, 09:52 PM
A good rule is to never sacrifice a non duplicate as some people have said they are just one buff away from being useful.

Reeb99
03-07-2018, 11:42 PM
Honestly the only things I see on your account right now worth using the shards on is Samurai Eddie and the Angel of Fear. Take those two and any good third character, one who does area physical damage and / or buffs attack, and you have a good auto farm team for cosmos battles. The gunner undead allied soldier is a pretty good fourth for the dungeons, as it looks like you have already figured out, but I wouldn't shard him.

Askora
03-07-2018, 11:58 PM
Reeb99 is right, although I know there are some people that are happy with a couple of the others as well. Soldier Eddie, Pharaoh Eddie and FotD Eddie aren't bad nor is SoL Eddie. The only one of those that I've really used much is Pharaoh but he's semi-retired right now. I'd say for now it's better to hold off on the skill shards and hopefully you'll pull a toon that's really worthy. Angel of Fear is with his passive, but since it works even without the skill shards unless you really need his damage potential boosted he can wait.

Reeb99
03-08-2018, 04:51 AM
If you wait for the perfect team to use your skill shards, you will be waiting a very long time. Skill shards are actually easier to come by than they used to be, so don't be afraid to use them on characters you like. Once upon a time, the ONLY way to get them was from trooper badges. You had to be really careful who you used them on back then. Also this game is always in flux, so what is popular right now may be close to useless in few months. Use the shards on what you like, it isn't a big deal.

SlabBacon
03-08-2018, 07:52 PM
Thanks again, everybody. Reeb99, I ended up just throwing 6 shards on Samurai Eddie, and got lucky with the skills that got upgraded. Gonna hold on to the rest for now and see who else I manage to pick up.

Slabbacon-6219