Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks for all the positive feedback about the new Cathedral look in the arena guys! I've passed your words along to the team.

(Also, reminder that this thread is made to discuss the event and participating in the event, not general issues. Please keep the discussion on topic.)

Quote Originally Posted by Moonchild-6759 View Post
    I believe something might be wrong with the amount of times one can be attacked. I played and won all almost 100games yesterday. But over night I was attacked just twice eventhough I have set a single Eddie defense.it makes no sense to me that being in top 50 with a single Eddie defense won’t get you attacked more. Now I only have high relic teams to fight again
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim28213 View Post
    I have often wondered why I don't get attacked more. I really do run a single level 1 Eddie almost all the time for my defense but there are weeks that I simply don't get attacked enough to drop very far down.
    There are a lot of things I don't understand about pairings and the arena in general.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade View Post
    It is really strange. Sometimes I see only very few attacks over night and then there are >20 on other days. Nobody knows how this works.
    We've discussed this in the past, but matchmaking takes various factors into account, including the strength of your strongest team, your rank, and the ratio of your attacks to your defenses in that week.

The attack:defense ratio thing is the main thing that will get you attacks, but if other people are attacking way more than you around your rank, then they'll get matchmade as opponents in place of you, so you can still go a while without getting attacked. Events throw things out of whack because of the sheer volume of matches some people will do the moment reset occurs, and so people who've done even more matches around your rank are prioritized as opponents ahead of you. Even then, it only prioritizes getting you onto a list; if people aren't clearing their whole lists, they may get you as an opponent in their Attack tab, but are still not attacking you (lots of people discussing doing lots of their matches through Revenge right now, for example).

- I don't like the strech goals as they can promote unhealthy obsession for some. I am also sad when I see the open challenges at the end of the event. But I know there is no way for me to put that much time, concentration and money into that.
    Usual goal (and even that is quite stressful to me): 300 wins -> feel free to bash my sandworm defense as often as you can
    One man's obsession is another man's hobby. One of the great things about free to play games is you'll have an even wider slice of demographics, and some people absolutely will go above and beyond the normal "limits" of an event. We added these stretch goals to reward players who, even before we had them, would already go above and beyond. We didn't even have an event running last week and Tman joined the 10k club (despite major game downtime, too), which no doubt took many hundreds more matches than the 300 we have for the main prize in this event.

If individual people were doing that every week, sure, then I'd consider if there's a way we'd want to change how we handle it, but most people seem pretty good about pacing themselves in the Arena, and hopefully the release of Gauntlet will give people another avenue to mix things up when it arrives.

OS
    Android
    Yes this new look is great, thank you for the change up in scenery. Makes the arms-race grind seem new and fresh. On the talismans, they give a blue buff I just stole with gunner Lilith from someone who must paid for a set and put them on a red Valkyrie. Too bad it is not a yellow buff, once stolen they leave the victim quite vulnerable.

OS
    Android
    I have to agree with the general consensus, the new look arena is fantastic!
    Such a great big and welcome change to the arena, what a shame its only gonna be around for the duration of the tour...

On another note I can see now that the advantages of weakening ones team are far greater than trying to be the hero and dominate the area of my ranking...

If you're around the 2500's please feel free to slice and dice my solo VHE, b.t.w if anyone stills thinks it's too strong let me know I'll muck around with some other toons with no talismans.. Have fun!
    Out of the universe, a strange light is born
    Unholy union, trinity reformed....

Proud Member of the Jomsvikings Clan

OS
    iOS
    I like the new Area look.. but come on.. it's 3 pieces of (well done) new artwork.. not 3 pieces of new playable content. Let's not be distracted by the smoke and mirrors.
    -----------------------------
    CLANLESS
    All there is in this app is to spend money or collect yet more frags... entirely pointless and unfulfilling..

OS
    Android
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparton_LOTB View Post

The attack:defense ratio thing is the main thing that will get you attacks
    Thanks for the explanations! So this basically means that the algorithm tries to even out your number of attacks with your number of defense fights, and promotes your appearance on lists when your deficit is very large? Plus it favours those situations where the total number of attacks is higher? Or when the ratio is even more on the attack side?
    March 1st 2019 Update - NEVER FORGET!

Blade-4052 // The Mofo Cult

Retired in November 2020

OS
    Android
    You're a hard person to please Yup, of course you're right...
    I'm not really fighting for the talisman though, My No.1 goal is fighting in 10,000 arena events, currently I think I have lees than 500 to go..
    Do you know if there's another Arena achievement beyond 10,000?
    Out of the universe, a strange light is born
    Unholy union, trinity reformed....

Proud Member of the Jomsvikings Clan

So this basically means that the algorithm tries to even out your number of attacks with your number of defense fights, and promotes your appearance on lists when your deficit is very large?
    Correct.

Plus it favours those situations where the total number of attacks is higher? Or when the ratio is even more on the attack side?
    When the ratio is more on the attack side.

For example, if you've attacked 30 times but have only been attacked 10 times, your ratio is 30/10 = 3. If someone else has attacked 15 times, but has only been attacked 3, their ratio is 15/3 = 5, so the ratio 5 person will be prioritized ahead of you for a bit.

OS
    Android
    Good to know! Thank you very much!
    March 1st 2019 Update - NEVER FORGET!

Blade-4052 // The Mofo Cult

Retired in November 2020

OS
    iOS
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparton_LOTB View Post
    Thanks for all the positive feedback about the new Cathedral look in the arena guys! I've passed your words along to the team.

(Also, reminder that this thread is made to discuss the event and participating in the event, not general issues. Please keep the discussion on topic.)

We've discussed this in the past, but matchmaking takes various factors into account, including the strength of your strongest team, your rank, and the ratio of your attacks to your defenses in that week.

The attack:defense ratio thing is the main thing that will get you attacks, but if other people are attacking way more than you around your rank, then they'll get matchmade as opponents in place of you, so you can still go a while without getting attacked. Events throw things out of whack because of the sheer volume of matches some people will do the moment reset occurs, and so people who've done even more matches around your rank are prioritized as opponents ahead of you. Even then, it only prioritizes getting you onto a list; if people aren't clearing their whole lists, they may get you as an opponent in their Attack tab, but are still not attacking you (lots of people discussing doing lots of their matches through Revenge right now, for example).

One man's obsession is another man's hobby. One of the great things about free to play games is you'll have an even wider slice of demographics, and some people absolutely will go above and beyond the normal "limits" of an event. We added these stretch goals to reward players who, even before we had them, would already go above and beyond. We didn't even have an event running last week and Tman joined the 10k club (despite major game downtime, too), which no doubt took many hundreds more matches than the 300 we have for the main prize in this event.

If individual people were doing that every week, sure, then I'd consider if there's a way we'd want to change how we handle it, but most people seem pretty good about pacing themselves in the Arena, and hopefully the release of Gauntlet will give people another avenue to mix things up when it arrives.
    Thanks for the mention Sparton. It was a personal goal to hit 10k, and it also happened to be my first Eternal. So 2 goals in one week for me was very cool to do. I had a nice surplus of SOW from the Sacrifice event, and some time last week that inspired me to give it a go. I had 947 battles with 916 wins (97%).

I was concerned when the game went down and tried a few different Android emulators that I couldn’t play very fast, or all that well on for that matter. Was happy to get back on the i-devices Saturday morning. Otherwise I don’t think I would have made it to 10k.

I like the stretch goals, even though I don’t expect to reach them this week. Good to have the choice.

And yes, nice job on the new look Arena.

OS
    Android
    Quote Originally Posted by rags-6094 View Post
    Do you know if there's another Arena achievement beyond 10,000?
    Yes, once you hit the 10,000 achievement, the next achievement is 15,000. I don't know if there is anything beyond that one.
    druid138-6195
    Sunrise Senjutsu Eddie
    Pity me none
    at the gates of our hell