OS
    Android

Tablet getting a new battery

Gonna replace the battery in my tablet this weekend. Done this sort of thing before, but not with this specific tablet (not quite a simple slot in a new battery job). Got all the tools. Shouldn't really be a problem but thought I'd let people know, just in case.

I'll use all my troopers tomorrow after tick-over and then later in the day I'll replace the battery. Should be back without interruption, and this gives me ~36 hrs in which to swap it over and get the tablet put back together.

Hopefully this will stop some of my crashes. *Fingers crossed*
    Cef-6313
    "To summarise the summary of the summary: people are a problem" - Douglas Adams

Clan - Frogs of War

OS
    Android
    Battery replaced! My tablet still works and I haven't corrupted my install (don't have to reinstall or anything). Now I'll just wait till the battery has got a full charge and see how it goes!

FWIW: Basically if things got graphically intense (ie: lots of GPU work) and the battery wasn't above 75%, I'd sometimes get weird graphics corruption. If I didn't stop (ie: switching out of the game for a bit, so the game was paused and not on screen), the game would crash soon after. The battery wasn't holding as much charge as normal and I was thinking about it when I saw a few mentions from people who had replaced their battery that they'd had similar symptoms beforehand and that swapping out the battery fixed it.

The reasoning goes that a degraded battery (ie: old, not getting full capacity) that has been discharged a bit in some cases can't quite deliver either the current required or the voltage out of it and it becomes a bit unstable. As the GPU in most tablets/phones usually draws the most power (esp in combo with the screen), it's easy for such disturbances in current/voltage to corrupt what they're doing, usually leading first to visual issues then a crash as what the CPU and the GPU agree on turns out to be different.

PS: This is the same sort of reasoning that Apple used to decide to speed limit certain devices if the battery was old, as it reduces the chances of this sort of thing happening, so it's not just cos this is an Android device.
    Cef-6313
    "To summarise the summary of the summary: people are a problem" - Douglas Adams

Clan - Frogs of War