Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    OS
    iOS

The Term “Toon”

The word Toon to describe characters has always gotten right on my tits. I realize it probably originated from World of Warcraft or Everquest or some other mmorpg and is short for cartoon, but why do we have to abbreviate everything? Should we refer to Eddie and his allies by this? Shouldn’t Maiden’s game have a unique word if there has to be an abbreviation for the super long and difficult to type “character”? I think it should. No need to use an old word that’s been beaten into the ground just because it’s easy.

Any ideas?

—give me Ed ‘til I’m dead.

OS
    Android
    Hey, Theres a ton of reasons to complaint about this game and/or community but this is the less meaningful I've ever read. Im sorry if I was disrespectful, Im not trying to be one. It is just something that doesn't affect anything or anyone.
    Carlos

OS
    iOS
    Seriously???
    -----------------------------
    CLANLESS
    All there is in this app is to spend money or collect yet more frags... entirely pointless and unfulfilling..

OS
    Android
    I'm with you, Watchful Prism. I hate the term "toon". I don't like the way it sounds, and I find it disrespectful and demeaning to these amazing characters. On the other hand, I've completely accepted that it is standard parlance.
    druid138-6195
    Sunrise Senjutsu Eddie
    Pity me none
    at the gates of our hell

OS
    iOS
    Quote Originally Posted by druid138 View Post
    I'm with you, Watchful Prism. I hate the term "toon". I don't like the way it sounds, and I find it disrespectful and demeaning to these amazing characters. On the other hand, I've completely accepted that it is standard parlance.
    Yea “Toons” is totally demeaning. How about “SOD’s” (for Stormtroopers of Death?)
    Or maybe Englebert Humperdincks? Both terms show due reverence to these sentient beings.

OS
    Android
    Honestly, I just thought that "Toons" were what they were properly called, since that's what everyone refers to them as, and so I went with it. While yes, there are bigger issues to worry about, I do see both Druid and Prisms' points. Maybe we can just come up with something a bit different?
    Deathbat-9018 - Caesar's Legion
    Ex-Romero's Legion First Officer

Your friendly neighbourhood Guide-ian Angel, a helpful source for Events and Missions alike.

Most wanted - 2019 Tour, Chords of Command, Day of the Dead, Hellraiser, Iron Mask, Legacy, Czar, False Gods, Merlin, Mystic Flame, Dark Road, Ed Hunter, Guy Fawkes, King Arthur, Life and Power, Cosmic Cyborg, Lone Star, Visions of Edorado

OS
    iOS
    I usually use the terms "ally" and "Eddie", as that is what NF uses. I sometimes use "character". While I really don't have any issue with any term you use, I have never been fond of the term "meta". I use it though to ensure that communication is relevant with the community but it is a "nails on a chalkboard" term for me. If this post was "tongue in cheek", I get it and appreciate it's the light heartedness. That being said, there are far more important reports to be made about the current state of the game and its many bugs.
    ...When all you see can only bring you sadness...

...no Brave New World...no Brave New World...

The LAST player in the top end to get Primordials (TM)

Proud member of JomsVikings' Arena Research Lab (JARL)

stormseye-8121

Senior Member TheAlbatross-1864's Avatar
    OS
    iOS
    I too dislike the word toon. I prefer Eddie or ally, or just character. Ally is just as easy as toon to type in really. Good discussion, these types of things are fun
    Champion: Crusader (Coalgiver during PVP events)
    Max lvl/shard/talisman Eddies: Shaman, Alexander, Coalgiver, Clansman, Trooper, Navigator, Cyborg, Aces High, Piece of Mind, Pharaoh, Visions, Viking, Seventh Son, Mystic, Edward, Crusader, Iron, Beast

OS
    iOS
    ... so uhm... toon in next week for a new term then??
    CLANLESS
    All there is in this app is to spend money or collect yet more frags... entirely pointless and unfulfilling..

OS
    Android
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAlbatross-1864 View Post
    I too dislike the word toon. I prefer Eddie or ally, or just character. Ally is just as easy as toon to type in really.
    yeah, same here