Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    OS
    iOS
    This one goes out to an unknown wedding band... allow me explain:

I was at a fancy wedding a few years back... and while we were all dining in the dining hall, the band was set up in the dance hall and playing some mellow dining music... jazz standards, musak... etc... Then I heard them break out something that I recognized. It took me a minute to put my finger on it because it was done up in the same light jazzy style as the rest of their 'dinner set'. It was The Flight of Icarus! It adapted really well to this style and noone else in the dining hall had even noticed, so I excused myself from the table, walked into the dance hall and stood in front of the band giving them a knowing glance. They smiled back at me - being the only person to realize that they just slipped Iron Maiden into their dinner set. As I walked away, I gave them the \m/

I'll never forget that.

Senior Member The Educated fool's Avatar
    OS
    Android
    Awesome story, man! \m/
    EducatedFool-1193

MOFO 4 LIFE!

You know it's not only madmen who listen to Fools

OS
    iOS
    Just found out what my fav is and searched for this thread to share it with everyone!

Its The Trooper, by Trinity, with Blaze Bailey as vocals
    Nekroliun-3119 - Rainmaker Eddie/Nomad, prob both pretty bad

Free your soul and let it fly! Give your life to the lord of light! Keep your secrets and rain on me, all i see are mysteries!

Remember Tomorrow by Metallica
    https://youtu.be/38JPxim2rMs

OS
    iOS
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertax616 View Post
    Remember Tomorrow by Metallica
    https://youtu.be/38JPxim2rMs
    I am an admitted Metallica zealot-turned-hater since the 1990s, and your fav is just as valid as anybody else's but I gave it a listen and it's dreadful to me. EDIT: I see that it has been brought up earlier in this thread and I am not alone in disliking it.

I remember the 5.98 EP days where classic punk songs were sent through the Metallica machine for a nice thrashy edge. Metallica always deserves credit for sending me backwards in time to learn the roots of metal. I also thought a number of the Metallica covers did more justice to the orignals, but not with all and in retrospect, it is something about the lack of Dynamics and perhaps unidimensionality of Metallica... and that perhaps old Diamondhead songs sounded a little better with growlier vocals and harder distortion, rather than it being a process of Metalica's genius or ability.

That metallica cover has an interesting, perhaps promising intro and then some faithful clean tones of the orignal that work nicely. Then Jaymz comes in and "Jaymzes" it up with his typical Rock/pop Pirate karaoke and the tight, uninspired distortion kicks on like sprinklers on a timer. This can be/has been a successful approach to other fast and technical pieces, but Remember Tomorrow is brooding and ethereal. Metallica did not take the song and make it theirs. They simply inserted their caricatures onto a classic, and where it worked better for say, "Stone Cold Crazy," it doesn't work here.

In terms of a successful execution of making Remember Tomorrow "Theirs," I would submit the following from Crowbar, one of my absolute favorite Maiden Covers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w759AI7J8LE&sns=em
    Last edited by FlyingV; 11-25-2016 at 08:13 PM.
    JCM800-3367 NOW ACCEPTING TROOPERS
    FlyingV-3167 (TROOPERS FULL)

DO NOT PURCHASE CONTENT FROM THE STORE!

Vote with your money and vote wisely. Developers need to understand the consequences of disregarding the game's players. Free the Generals, Free the AoF, and all the other toons and Eddies they wrongfully ruined to make their job more convenient!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingV View Post
    Then Jaymz comes in and "Jaymzes" it up with his typical Rock/pop Pirate karaoke and the tight, uninspired distortion kicks on like sprinklers on a timer.
    In terms of a successful execution of making Remember Tomorrow "Theirs," I would submit the following from Crowbar, one of my absolute favorite Maiden Covers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w759AI7J8LE&sns=em
    I really like James' singing and the way he "Jaymzes" up is one of the main reasons why I love this cover. On the other hand Crowbar made this song more "theirs" than Metallica, I agree that. But that cover is not my cup of tea. Of course everyone has different tastes, it would be so boring if everyone loved the same thing

I also love this cover of Hallowed Be Thy Name (one of the best songs ever written imo) by Machine Head:
    https://youtu.be/DJrz1yofoKg

OS
    Android
    Bobo-5710 (HIATUS)

Current champion: Coalgiver Eddie, lv 100
    -4 5* Strength Talisman (Fierce), 2 2* Health Talisman (Overwhelming)

OS
    iOS
    Has to be Machine Head's Hallowed be thy Name

OS
    Android
    Testament's version of Powerslave is pretty rad, but my favorite cover is Rhapsody Of Fire's version of Flash of the Blade. I always thought the song was a bit bare bones, and the keyboards fill that in very nicely.
    Soldier blue in the barren wastes
    Reflecting and shielding's a game
    Wrecking the Axis and wasting the dogs
    The only good demons are tame

Kardas-1158. Retired

OS
    iOS
    Quote Originally Posted by Kardas View Post
    Testament's version of Powerslave is pretty rad, but my favorite cover is Rhapsody Of Fire's version of Flash of the Blade. I always thought the song was a bit bare bones, and the keyboards fill that in very nicely.
    I cant believe ive never heard of this, just listened to it and imo its better than the actual song, but i think that the "youll die as you live..." part is a but off in rhapsody's version...
    Nekroliun-3119 - Rainmaker Eddie/Nomad, prob both pretty bad

Free your soul and let it fly! Give your life to the lord of light! Keep your secrets and rain on me, all i see are mysteries!