Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    OS
    Android

2018 Remastered CDs

Anyone know why they went heavy gloss on Maiden and Killers, but not on NotB or PoM? I know, seems knit picky but I was excited when seeing the first two, then kinda let down by 3 and 4.
    kkkreg5-6767

_________| CLAN |_________

👹 The Mofo Cult 👹

OS
    iOS
    Don't know what you mean by "heavy gloss", but I read on several forums that these are even more compressed with lower dynamic range than the last remasters (from 1998 I believe). I have those and they are ear-bleeders. Not surprised since the new remasters were done exclusively for I-tunes which tells me they were just for ear-bud casual listening at the gym or something, not for being enjoyed on your stereo. Best get a record player and find the old vinyl on Ebay if you want to crank it up!

OS
    Android
    Jeff,
    I was referring to the packaging. As for the dynamic range of the actual recordings, the '98 remasters sounded like compressed MP3 files on CD to me. I understand that the 2015's were "optimized" for iTunes and also put on vinyl, which isn't too bad. I'd just like a set with all recordings "remastered" to include the B-sides. I have the' 95 Castle set that included the B-sides. The sound to me, is flat, but I'm not an audiophile, so I'm sure I'm missing out. As for original vinyl, I have a few, but I'm too lazy to set up my turn table!
    kkkreg5-6767

👹 The Mofo Cult 👹

OS
    Android
    If you want the b sides why not buy the 2 cd set of b sides, it may be better than buying all the remastered albums.

I think it is a joke to keep putting out newly remastered recordings. If they cant get it correct on the first remaster than there is a problem. Just going for the paycheck .

How many copies do we need to buy. LP, cassette, first cd and then the remastered editions.
    Muzzleloader-8226.
    Axes grind and maces clash as wounded fighters fall to the ground
    Severed limbs and fatal wounding bleeding corpses lay all around

OS
    Android
    I have that set. Bought it before I realized it wasn't complete. It's missing Massacre from the 7th Son sessions and Space Station No. 5 doesn't have the return of Rod.

I was hoping for "deluxe" editions of all the albums.
    kkkreg5-6767

👹 The Mofo Cult 👹

OS
    iOS
    Have you had a chance to listen to the new remasters yet? If so, how do they compare sound wise to the older cd's? I agree they should have made these definitive and included all the B sides. My Castle release of Live After Death had different tracks, too including Losfer Words live which was really cool. Btw, I picked up tix for the show in VA next June. Are you planning to see the tour next year?

OS
    Android
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-3007 View Post
    Have you had a chance to listen to the new remasters yet? If so, how do they compare sound wise to the older cd's? I agree they should have made these definitive and included all the B sides. My Castle release of Live After Death had different tracks, too including Losfer Words live which was really cool. Btw, I picked up tix for the show in VA next June. Are you planning to see the tour next year?
    Haven't had a chance to give them a listen but I'm hoping they are better than the iTunes files. Yeah, I eq'd my Castle collection to help them out. Hoping to go in September. We'll see. I'll post when I give my set a listen...
    kkkreg5-6767

👹 The Mofo Cult 👹

OS
    Android
    It appears that they used the exact remaster used for the iTunes files. I have attached the wav file images here.

iTunes:
    Name:  Prowler iTunes.JPG
Views: 763
Size:  88.8 KB

2018 CD WAV file:
    Name:  Prowler 2018 CD WAV.JPG
Views: 607
Size:  101.2 KB

Kind of disappointing...
    kkkreg5-6767

👹 The Mofo Cult 👹

OS
    iOS
    Good lord! Based on those images I can't see how these would be improved over the previous releases. I will live with what I already have. Thanks so much for posting!

OS
    Android
    Yes, loudness wars need to stop.
    Going far, far beyond a bit of enhancing compression.
    Dynamic range is a thing, let us hear it.