Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
    OS
    iOS
    I don’t think people are getting the real picture here with the suggestions that they do this or that. They are moving the game to a point where unless you are dropping some cash on a monthly, if not per event basis, you are not getting shit. Pure and simple. So get your wallets out, do your dailies, hoard what you can, and choose your battles.

I’ve been paying attention to all the little hidden “tweaks” for awhile now. They were being subtle about it. Not so much anymore.
    Last edited by Saigrim; 03-04-2019 at 04:12 AM.
    Saigrim-3244

Order of Eld Clan, One Member of Many

OS
    iOS
    -----------------------------
    CLANLESS
    All there is in this app is to spend money or collect yet more frags... entirely pointless and unfulfilling..

OS
    Android
    Quote Originally Posted by slauki View Post
    the problem is that the devs have to earn money for the company, so you have to make players chase things they want. since the game was pretty unbalanced for quite some time now i don't expect anything to change. if they release an middish/okayish toon/talisman who would care or spend because of it? people will only pay if you offer them things that will improve their strength. so the wheel will be spinning endlessly

i think the truth is that there is no way back, either you take it or you leave. the toons will get even stronger and talismans too. rlease an OP team and sell the players the counter after a few weeks. that seems to be the way to earn money in these games. (it's also the same in strike force btw) that said i do feel lotb is a bit out of control with all these crazy mechanics like avoiding damage or random nomal, silver and golden buffs/debuffs.

but i cannot see an escape there so we have to deal with it.
    And therein lies the problem with "freemium" games. The presence of micro-transactions prevent balance (as well as challenge, skill, or depth) from the very start. Legacy of the Beast should have been a fully-fledged console/PC game that you just buy for however much regular video games cost these days (I think it's still $60, but I haven't bought a new game in a while).

The root of the problem with LotB -- as with all freemium games -- is that they aren't actually designed for players to advance through their own skill or understanding of the game. It's simply an endless cycle of releasing objectively superior items over time while charging (as much or more) money for each new release than an entire complete game would normally cost. Just look at the store: you can literally spend $100 for a single 5* character and a stack of currency to upgrade it.

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned that the new and recent changes have been "un-Maiden like," which is undeniably true. But I doubt the members of Iron Maiden are much of gamers, being pretty old guys and having lots of other stuff going on in their lives, in addition to the band itself. So obviously you can't blame them. They just signed on to grant rights to a game developer, and they don't play any role in its development other than artistic design. This game, like all other "free-to-play" games will continue to progress in the same way, and there's no reason to expect otherwise. Don't wait for it; it just isn't the nature of this product. As long as a large enough minority of gamers are willing to shell out literally hundreds of dollars for a small portion of a game, the gaming industry will keep taking their money and offering the same incomplete, cyclical content. Sad But True.

Name:  Freemium Loop.png
Views: 615
Size:  21.9 KB
    Last edited by HeadOnFire; 03-04-2019 at 06:28 AM.
    Where I go, I do not know
    I only know the place I've been
    Like the eagle and the dove, flying so high on wings above
    When all you see can only bring you sadness
    Tell me what you can hear and then tell me what you see
    Everybody has a different way to view the world
    Somewhere there's someone dying in a foreign land
    Meanwhile the world is crying, "stupidity of man!"
    You tell me you're an unbeliever
    Spiritualist?
    Well me, I'm neither

OS
    iOS
    As someone who very, very rarely spends money on the game, I feel comfortable knowing that Im not going to get everything possible and be at a disadvantage.

In fact, I would say that those who play free at the moment actually have it pretty good in this game. We can compete reasonably well towards the top levels, chars take a heck of a lot of grinding, but you can do it and still get many of the inflationary characters if youre a bit lucky on the day.

Sure some things like the sudden change of the souls shard costs were the pits, but personally I think its entirely reasonable to expect you to pay a bit to get everything in the game (or wait a while and have to invest a heap of time to get it).
    Gringo-4930
    MOFO

Currently grinding for:
    Odin(s) - Freya - Scrooge (Slauki) Ed / Moar Yggs

OS
    Android
    Quote Originally Posted by Esquatcho View Post
    As someone who very, very rarely spends money on the game, I feel comfortable knowing that Im not going to get everything possible and be at a disadvantage.

In fact, I would say that those who play free at the moment actually have it pretty good in this game. We can compete reasonably well towards the top levels, chars take a heck of a lot of grinding, but you can do it and still get many of the inflationary characters if youre a bit lucky on the day.

Sure some things like the sudden change of the souls shard costs were the pits, but personally I think its entirely reasonable to expect you to pay a bit to get everything in the game (or wait a while and have to invest a heap of time to get it).
    Yeah, I agree with the overall idea of what you're saying. It's just that games like this charge more for a small portion of content than you could expect to pay for a fully developed, complete game on a PC or console.
    Iron Maiden could be much, much better represented in a video game than this pathetic scheme has done.

I would gladly spend money on an Iron Maiden game, but paying every month just to keep up with a meta that changes constantly and arbitrarily is completely.... I can't think of the right adjective right now. Dammit, I had something for this!

Name:  I Had Something for This.jpg
Views: 1297
Size:  141.8 KB
    Last edited by HeadOnFire; 03-04-2019 at 06:40 AM.
    Where I go, I do not know
    I only know the place I've been
    Like the eagle and the dove, flying so high on wings above
    When all you see can only bring you sadness
    Tell me what you can hear and then tell me what you see
    Everybody has a different way to view the world
    Somewhere there's someone dying in a foreign land
    Meanwhile the world is crying, "stupidity of man!"
    You tell me you're an unbeliever
    Spiritualist?
    Well me, I'm neither

OS
    Android
    I wonder if we will ever be able to get rid of our soul stacks with the increased cost and devalued gold return of the pit and inflated soul return ... I've got a lot of souls atm, I don't think I will ever be able to reduce the stack significantly. Actually I feel what they want to happen is for us to hit the stack limit without being able to get new souls due to the limit ...
    Liu-5868

from a world of magma to a cold rock face,
    the ascent of madness and the human race

OS
    Android
    Finally some more South Park reference! That episode is so great! So everyone who does not know it, watch it immediately! "Freemium isn't free" from 2014.
    The guys always had a good knack for picking up current topics and pushing them to the top with the necessary humour. This is very well done here again. The connection to other addictions is ingenious and the two-step explanation like pay-2-win works aswell. For those who are not familiar with SP: Terrence and Phillip are 2 movie/comedy stars and in their name a freemium game appears. Exchange those two with our beloved musicians and here you are! Enjoy!

As many others I just play that game because of Iron Maiden and as there is no alternative. I don't like these freemium games in general and if Maiden decides to do another real PC game without that lootbox/dlc/pay2win crap, I would be the first to pre-order!
    March 1st 2019 Update - NEVER FORGET!

Blade-4052 // The Mofo Cult

Retired in November 2020

OS
    iOS
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade View Post
    Finally some more South Park reference! That episode is so great! So everyone who does not know it, watch it immediately! "Freemium isn't free" from 2014.
    The guys always had a good knack for picking up current topics and pushing them to the top with the necessary humour. This is very well done here again. The connection to other addictions is ingenious and the two-step explanation like pay-2-win works aswell. For those who are not familiar with SP: Terrence and Phillip are 2 movie/comedy stars and in their name a freemium game appears. Exchange those two with our beloved musicians and here you are! Enjoy!

As many others I just play that game because of Iron Maiden and as there is no alternative. I don't like these freemium games in general and if Maiden decides to do another real PC game without that lootbox/dlc/pay2win crap, I would be the first to pre-order!
    Me too. I had the old game on PC but it is super dated but it was still a cool game at the time and for a few years after - but it died on me and the disk was loaned to someone and never returned in a playable format! So a new PC game would be great and I would defo play that - but they will never do that as that is not where any money is for a game based on Maiden. Too niche to be worth it hence the freemium mobile game - as that can continue to make money when the customer base is hard core fans and collectors.

At the moment I have spent a fair bit on the game over the years I have played it - looking back I would say around £10 a month on average...maybe a little more - because I can and I am usualy happy to pay for something I play a lot, which I do for sure though 90% auto of course!

Probably will continue to play on in the same sort of way but clearly the sac events are not going to be the glut they used to be - so I will just have to chnage how I play a bit as I am not willing to spend anymore that I have in the past for a game that is not working all that well and where players like me are not really the market - they need money and I will always get that but this will always be an issue for a developer where one game is there lot - I dont think they do anythign else so really this game is their bottle neck in terms of keeping the light son and they have to keep feeding the beast with new stuff.

The biggest issue is where they find new players as I am sure, what with the recent tour being branded the way it was, very strongly linked to the game, that most of the core Maiden fan base is aware of the game and if they have not tried it by now when will they try it? There is the second leg of the tour of course but once that is done the next potential push would be either a new album and/or a greatest hits (I see a new greatest hits as a real possibility and it being based on this tour set plus others) and then other tours but that cant really do another LOTB tour as it will likely be a new album tour after that is released. With all of that in mind maybe the game will then need to change direction again to make sure money comes in from what wil be old timers from the LOTB tour intake?

The things they have talked about doing make sense with that in mind - they need to release proper new stuff like guilds and other changes they have mentioned as I think the current player numbers will be all but maxed out frm the recent tour activity.
    "We oil the jaws of the war machine and feed it with our babies" - Two Minutes to Midnight - Powerslave

scott-5496

OS
    Android
    You're probably right and there won't be a new PC game. The band itself won't care much and the money won't matter to them either. The people from the management and the marketing are responsible for it and of course (unfortunately) they smell the big money, which can only be earned in this modern freemium way. Very sad, but true.

I have spent since there is the game a total of 82 €. I had spent this out of joy about the game, appreciation for the ideas and graphical implementation and as a donation to the developers. But those days are definitely over and I'm "ashamed" to have spent more on it than on e.g. The Witcher 3 or GTA 5. No further cent will be added as long as the developers continue to lie to us and are characterized by bad communication, unfair measures, lack of bug fixes and insidious actions (hoping no one would notice).

The game would have deserved a much larger fan base, which could probably change the price system. Then it would probably work with micropay as well, with relatively few people it would remain the macropay of individual players who have developed a big addiction (consciously or unconsciously). I sincerely hope that anyone who invests large amounts of money can afford it and that nobody will get into trouble with it. As the person responsible, I would have a guilty conscience about aligning my economic model exactly with this and would rather take all the mirrors off the walls. Brave new world!
    To attract more people, the feedback would have to be much better and everyone I tell about how much you have to play (albeit on autopilot) to achieve anything, just shake their heads. Understandable - I wouldn't know if I would get in at this point and stay with it. After all, our love for the band keeps us all here.

The last changes were worrying and partly frightening, especially in the way they were implemented. So the game is at a crossroads and too many mistakes may not be made anymore, otherwise it will be overdue. The thought had already caused me more worries than now. There's no actual end anyway until the last servers are switched off. Maybe I'll take a week off at work and try to get to number one in the arena. Owning all characters would be another goal, but due to the many new characters from event souls this goal is not achievable. When else do you say goodbye? Probably only for negative reasons, and there have been plenty of them lately.

We'll see what happens next and whether it's possible to continue to be successful with good resource management and the resurrection of some temptations. I have succeeded well so far I would say with relatively little investment. The next challenges will come and we can try and meet them. Gold management seems to be the next hurdle.

I know you shouldn't take it so seriously, it's just a game, and that would be good for all of us. But for many of us it's been a faithful companion for years and you don't give up things you've built up over a long period of time (like legendary soul fragments...I'm still not over it).

Let's have a watchful eye for what happens. I am curious but unfortunately more scepticism is necessary than I would like. Stay strong! Up the Irons!
    March 1st 2019 Update - NEVER FORGET!

Blade-4052 // The Mofo Cult

Retired in November 2020