Which stats affect true damage?

Is it ATK and MAGIC combined?

Love to you all. TIA

OS
    Android
    No ideas, anyone?

OS
    Android
    Yes, true damage is a combination of physical and magic.
    Muzzleloader-8226.
    Axes grind and maces clash as wounded fighters fall to the ground
    Severed limbs and fatal wounding bleeding corpses lay all around

OS
    iOS
    But.. you can boost one or the other... They don't have to be close to even. You can have ATK+2000 and MAG+300 and they both combine for True 2300. There are some toons who deal physical or magic damage for basic moves, then true damage for power moves or as a secondary damager. So boosting one stat may help.. Necropolis is like this.. deals physical damage with basic.. but deals physical and true with his power move. So boosting ATK is actually better than boosting MAG at all.
    -----------------------------
    CLANLESS
    All there is in this app is to spend money or collect yet more frags... entirely pointless and unfulfilling..

OS
    iOS
    Alwats been a bigger fan of tru compared to random - random you need to try to even out ATK and MAG as much as you can as if you dont your hits can be very weak indeed.
    "We oil the jaws of the war machine and feed it with our babies" - Two Minutes to Midnight - Powerslave

scott-5496

OS
    Android
    Quote Originally Posted by scott-5496 View Post
    random you need to try to even out ATK and MAG as much as you can
    actually you don't. If you deal a random hit, and each dmg type is equally likely, i.e. 1/3 atk, 1/3 mag, 1/3 true and if you have the choice of boosting mag/atk by x each compared to boosting atk by 2x and mag by 0, you'll deal the same damage in expectation:
    case 1:
    x/3 + x/3 + 2x/3 = 4x/3
    case 2:
    2x/3 + 0/3 + 2x/3 = 4x/3

when your choice is x on mag x on atk but y > 2x on atk (or mag) you should do the latter since in expectation, your damage will be greater:
    case 1:
    x/3 + x/3 + 2x/3 = 4x/3
    case 2:
    2y/3 + 0/3 + 2y/3 = 4y/3 > 4x/3

Therefore random damage is an equally good type of damage as true, since it doesn't really matter what you boost, same as for true.
    Last edited by Liu; 05-31-2019 at 02:24 PM. Reason: As pointed out by mizrael there was an error in caculation, input was x/4 instead of 3x/4. Now corrected using x as input. TY
    Liu-5868

from a world of magma to a cold rock face,
    the ascent of madness and the human race

OS
    iOS
    Quote Originally Posted by Liu View Post
    actually you don't. If you deal a random hit, and each dmg type is equally likely, i.e. 1/3 atk, 1/3 mag, 1/3 true and if you have the choice of boosting mag/atk by x/4 each compared to boosting atk by 2x/4 and mag by 0, you'll deal the same damage in expectation:
    case 1:
    x/(4*3) + x/(4*3) + 2x/(4*3) = 4x/(4*3) = x
    case 2:
    2x/(4*3) + 0/3 + 2x/(4*3) = 4x/(4*3) = x

when your choice is x/4 on mag x/4 on atk but y/4 > 2x/4 on atk (or mag) you should do the latter since in expectation, your damage will be greater:
    case 1:
    x/(4*3) + x/(4*3) + 2x/(4*3) = 4x/(4*3) = x
    case 2:
    2y/(4*3) + 0/3 + 2y/(4*3) = 4y/(4*3) > 4x/(4*3) = x

Therefore random damage is an equally good type of damage as true, since it doesn't really matter what you boost, same as for true.

I had thought it was random as to whcih damage would hit the defence team? So if you had a random damage dealer and loaded it with ATK and no MAG then if the random hit was selected as MAG you would not get much hit, same if you loaded with MAG and no ATK - if the random hit was ATK then your hit would be weak? If it were True damage then it matters less as whatever you have will hit the defence?
    "We oil the jaws of the war machine and feed it with our babies" - Two Minutes to Midnight - Powerslave

scott-5496

OS
    Android

OS
    Android
    Quote Originally Posted by scott-5496 View Post
    I had thought it was random as to whcih damage would hit the defence team? So if you had a random damage dealer and loaded it with ATK and no MAG then if the random hit was selected as MAG you would not get much hit, same if you loaded with MAG and no ATK - if the random hit was ATK then your hit would be weak? If it were True damage then it matters less as whatever you have will hit the defence?
    It deals either physical, magic or true damage. I'm assuming each damage type can be selected with the same probability, i.e. 1/3. So in my opinion it doesnt matter which type you select since there's no difference in damage in expectation. If you boost both types equally you're dealing medium damage on both atk & mag, if you choose to boost only one type you're dealing high atk, low mag (and vice versa) - but it evens out.
    Liu-5868

from a world of magma to a cold rock face,
    the ascent of madness and the human race

OS
    Android
    Then it is a big difference if the character does only 1 hit or more! If he only does one hit, the risk to select that damage type were you are low would be too high for me (and we know that RNG loves to adapt to weaknesses). Also I am still not sure if true damage is to be seen as a sum of both stats or rather a kind of multiplication with weighing factors. We would need to test that. However, my OCD wants me to even out stats anyway
    March 1st 2019 Update - NEVER FORGET!

Blade-4052 // The Mofo Cult

Retired in November 2020