Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    OS
    iOS

Updates from the News Frontier - December 5th 2019

Welcome Troopers, to this weeks Updates from the News Frontier!

Might not be our final name for the weekly update, but it’s a great pun courtesy of Durandal.

Asgard has come to the Arena!

Some exciting news to start us off regarding our next Arena run (December 7th 4pm PST/ 12am UTC to December 14th 4pm PST/ 12am UTC). By reaching the top of the Arena leaderboard, you can net yourself some electric new rewards. Those who climb their way to achieve Bronze and Silver status will receive special fragments towards summoning the all-new Thor Eddie. If you somehow manage to take the top spot, achieving Gold status, you’ll receive the thunder-wielding, hammer-slinging hero right away! This Eddie will be properly introduced to everyone next week with the Asgardian Assault event. He is going to be a long term chase goal for most players, so this upcoming Arena run is a big deal! The top 3 players will receive their rewards AFTER the end of the Arena run. Without further ado, here he is!

Name:  Thor-Eddie-Promotional_851x315.jpg
Views: 2737
Size:  110.7 KB

Awakening Opportunity

Help us awaken your mythical allies! In the not-too-distant future, we may have an opportunity to give a fresh new coat of paint to an old favorite, but we need your help. Please vote for the classic ally YOU want to see Awakened. You might just see them in a whole new light in the months ahead.

• Alliance General
    • Corrupt General
    • The Nomad
    • The Witch Doctor
    • The Prisoner
    • Icarus
    • Daedalus
    • Baroness Redan
    • Musashi

To vote on these, please follow this link - https://www.strawpoll.me/19043810

Sorry. No Sandworms [this time].

Community Spotlight

Nothing warms Eddie’s heart like the Community creating Art, Guides and Team suggestions for each other. So this week I would like to send a shout out to Azagthor, who has created an excellent Guide for the Brave New World. It includes drops, which levels to get them on and more. Truely a labour of love and worth the read.

Azagthor’s Guide to A Brave New World

I am keeping this weeks main section short, as we have a great read ahead of us in the Weekend Warrior with Durandal and special guest.

Weekend Warrior

Therapeutic Thursday, Troopers! ‘Tis I, your tastefully tantalizing thespian, Durandal - here for a very special installment of “Weekend Warrior”. Earlier this week, I came across a very interesting post in the forum written by our previous week’s Arena winner, Discordian. He exclaimed his enthusiasm towards the necessity of thinking outside the box when it comes to PVP strategies - how making carbon copies of “the best”, most “OP” teams might not always net the best results. With my curiosity piqued, I decided to reach out to him so I could learn more about this valiant warrior and the clan he represents. What answers have I uncovered? Let’s dive right in to find out!

What sort of qualities are important to you when building a defense team?

All credit to Romero's Legion, of course - I wouldn't be as motivated to do what I do if it wasn't for the constant banter with those lovable dorks on our server.

So building a defense team requires a different frame of mind than building a solid offense - a team that wins almost 100% of its battles on the offensive can be easily put down on defense. There are a few key reasons for this and delving deeper into these reasons can help elucidate a framework for figuring out which defensive configuration is right for you.

Firstly, you must consider that strategies which require a precise turn order are bound to fail with the AI (the I part there is dubious) running the show. For example, the team with which I won the very first gold medal for Romero's Legion after clans were introduced was amazing on offense - and would have been destroyed on defense. The idea was that two Magus Lords of Light, max-awakened, with echo cosmics, inspiration, and strike talismans would have everybody Dark Ghosted or Doomed by the end of the second turn - or first turn, if the enemy went first. At this point, one of the LoLs would use his power ability to make the other team simply disintegrate.

However, in the event that this was unsuccessful, it would be necessary for the Cosmic LoL holding Singularities to go LAST - with the power ability which stripped the enemy's positive buffs and my own negatives. Were this not the case, I myself might be doomed!

And secondly, if a rival team contained Charlotte - well, I'd just have to adapt, right? No Doom or Dark Ghost then! So the primary team I ran had some failings.

So when considering defense, it's necessary to consider the strongest team you can put together that works, regardless of turn order, against the widest range of teams. The best way to test your defense team is to set it as an attack team, and attack the next 20 people on your list - then assume that you'll fare worse, being that players tapping get many more perfect hits per battle than the AI. So if you're doing better than 50% on auto, you're on the right track! And finally - don't borrow talismans from your defense toons for other challenges! That's like throwing your American-rules football team onto the rugby pitch and seeing the sheer terror in their eyes when they realize that they're not wearing 50 lbs of protective gear!

Name:  helsing.png
Views: 3393
Size:  154.5 KB

Van Helsing Eddie has quickly become a popular pick in the upper echelons of Arena thanks to his consistent and reliable utility. How do you approach characters like this who offer useful stalling for powerful casters such as Magus Lord of Light?

Yes, he's powerful. Yes, he gives you two turns of supposed invincibility, but I like a challenge. This is why I wasn't using him for last week's Arena. VHE is great at stalling for 2 turns - then he's rather rubbish, isn't he? So some things to consider when putting a team together to best VHE - either because you don't have him, or like me, you're bored and want a challenge:

1) Celestial Talismans cuts that 2 turn "lead" down to 1 turn.

2) Remember what Marky Mark almost certainly didn't say - use Mark Talismans! VHE can't take damage through the usual means, sure, but all toons are susceptible to mark damage, even while under his protection. Use toons that mark, use the talis, and get a good perfect hit in (hint: Lamia dishes both out in droves). Kaboom!

3) Undamageable doesn't mean unbuffable. If Guy Fawkes has 20 perfect bombs on the toons when VHE's "invincibility" runs out - kerblam! Likewise, if everybody on the opposing team is undamageable, but stunned, they're not much use for those two turns. After those two turns, VHE is kind of a useless lump. My trademark Assassin Trickster with Labyrinth Talismans is far more dangerous!

4) VHE gets his power from - what else? - his passive. Take away his passive, and he's a punching bag with a goofy hat. The Prisoner and Dark Lilith are obvious choices, but there are many others - from Convicts to Evolved Wicker Ox to Beast Ed. While it's true that currently Singularity Talismans block Passive Disable and Perfect Disable even on the first turn, a little birdie told me that this is soon to change - and I feel like we'll be seeing a lot less of Mean Mr. Goofy Hat Punching Bag when it does!

Name:  football_eddie.png
Views: 3159
Size:  168.4 KB

I noticed that Football Eddie contributed to your success in Arena. What sort of team do you think makes the most out of his abilities?

In response to the various Footballer Eddies - I use them quite a bit. First of all - Primordials or Light & Cosmic Echo? Sign me right up! And now that Primordials are dropping like sweets from the sugar shack in the Cyborg dungeon, I'd hope everybody's gotten at least one set.

But beyond that, the Footballer Eddies in their five-flavored kits were a great surprise. Since they were basically no-effort 4* toons, I dismissed them at first. Then I tried out Mexico Ed in the Raven's Altar dungeon - wow did my speeds increase! So I started playing around with them, learning their moves, and they're quite a delight. That fury can blast entire teams that aren't ready for it! And it's great that, to gain class advantage, all you need to do is select the kit which fits the mission - and you're off. So from there - like any Striker, these Eddies need a full team behind them for support. A blocker is often key - and it doesn't have to be fancy. The 3* Sentinel Desert Guardian with Eternals (or better yet, the new Impulse set) is just the ticket! Having an AoE hitter with Echo & Inspiration in the mix is always a boon for our Strikers as well. They go first, strip the other team down to their pants - and then let loose that spiky ball!

Name:  romeros_legion.png
Views: 2268
Size:  79.8 KB

Tell us a little bit about Romero's Legion and perhaps future clan activities you're excited for.

So Romero's Legion is more than just a bunch of LotB fans who randomly hooked up and happened to pick a random clan. We knew each other going in, and formed with an idea of who we'd like to be. We have our ardent - if sometimes shy - leader, GC - he's a great dude, even if the persistent rumours of his addiction to naughty internet photos are true. wipp's our elder statesman, both in terms of having played forever and acquired a huge knowledge base, but in terms of actually having been in a serious metal band! Stonewall is the class clown, who repeatedly tried to attack me in the arena but was put down by my "spicy D". He's never gonna live that one down. Highace is a balanced voice of reason when the rest of us get carried away. And I'd hope I don't need to introduce Deathbat to all y'all. Plus we have so many other amazing members that I can't write out bios for all of them - but suffice it to say, we each help the others build teams, figure out how to conquer opponents, and help each other tune up for that next step in the Arena, or figure out a team for that next challenge in the Gauntlet. And I will not confirm nor deny that we have a media sharing platform as well, so that movies, Maiden shows, and so on can be shared... we're a band of brothers to the end.

That's it for this weeks update, don't forget to start slaying in the Arena On Saturday December 7th for a chance at Thor Eddie!

Signing off

^ Ceeg

OS
    iOS
    Odd.. Thor Ed looks nothing like Hemsworth
    -----------------------------
    CLANLESS
    All there is in this app is to spend money or collect yet more frags... entirely pointless and unfulfilling..

OS
    Android
    Hemsworth got short hair in last Avengers movies. Looks ugly.
    Thor Eddie looks much better 😀

OS
    iOS
    Ceeg & Durandal, you did really really good with this update. Tons of insight and useful information. Glad to see you’re pulling it from the community. But, out of obligatory complaining, why no awakened Sandworm?!? There was even preliminary artwork designed for it!!

OS
    iOS
    Quote Originally Posted by RobG-9641 View Post
    Ceeg & Durandal, you did really really good with this update. Tons of insight and useful information. Glad to see you’re pulling it from the community. But, out of obligatory complaining, why no awakened Sandworm?!? There was even preliminary artwork designed for it!!
    Do you mean this artwork?

Name:  AwokenSandworm.jpg
Views: 2021
Size:  200.7 KB

OS
    Android
    Very cool, boosting Azagthor here. Can you drop them a bonus in-game?
    I'm having another one of those "uninstall this app and throw my phone in a lake" moments.

Ydex-1108 . Jomsvikings . Max Awakened Cyborg with [PvP Meta] / T3 Cyborg Cosmic

OS
    iOS
    Quote Originally Posted by Ydex View Post
    Very cool, boosting Azagthor here. Can you drop them a bonus in-game?
    I second this. Azagthor went above and beyond with this one - wish I'd had it when I first tackled the BNW X levels! Drop a Moonchild soul into his BoS - or something else to thank him for his general awesomeness!

OS
    Android
    I've been waiting my whole in-game life for Thor Eddie lmao.
    Fearless leader of the Jomsvikings

OS
    Android
    Proud of my fellow clan mate Azagthor! Shout out to Frogs of War, and the Romero's Legion for the immeasurable experience in the game and tips, Candidates to the top Clans in the upcoming event

OS
    Android
    So now Gauntlet is creeping into Arena...

Strongly disliked this aspect of the game when introduced with Arena then Gauntlet now back to Arena. Instead of introducing new content, we just get the same with a different "coat of paint" and passed for "new". This is truly disappointing.
    kkkreg5-6767

_________| CLAN |_________

👹 The Mofo Cult 👹