Thread: I Got Out

I Got Out

Several months ago and it was the right decision.

I keep getting the promotional emails that tell me about new characters, eddies, and dungeons, seemingly nonstop.

Has this game really improved the last 5-6 months, or has it been the same endless grind, one dungeon after the next (sometimes 2 or 3 at a time), all to get another character or eddie, which sometimes is so completely unbalanced it breaks PVP.

Has there been new talisman / upgrade content that is completely unbalanced added again? How many times?

There is a light at the end of the tunnel, and for me, it started with uninstalling.

OS
    Android
    If you can stay away, you're better off. The bugs are ten fold and the grind are getting pricy and endless. Yes. New characters have been added with some not having much to do with the lore. If you want to reinstall, you will continue to feed the addiction.

OS
    Android
    Can confirm. I got out about 8 months ago, and reinstalled back in late April. Addiction is being fed, haha. The clan/raid bosses help make it more fun. I'm also playing with the mentality that I don't need to go after everything.

I also needed to do something other than read about what's going on the world right now. LotB gives me an outlet that can be fun.

OS
    iOS
    I've been a long-time lurker here, but had been playing since the day of release, and finally deleted the game a week or so ago. Decided to look at the forum and saw this topic, which prompted me to make a rare post.

For me, it wasn't really an addiction thing keeping me going, it was loyalty. While addiction keeps others around, the social mechanism traps people with a loyalty dilemma, which in this game was running troopers and recently, participating in clan raids/events.

I haven't enjoyed this game for a long time and eventually, the chore of it burned out the will to do basic things one by one. First I stopped playing for event goals, then I stopped fighting in the bonus levels, then I stopped trying to get the daily achievements, then I even stopped taking the 2 seconds to click on the Satellite. I was down to only running troopers everyday, and helping with clan stuff. Eventually I ignored the clan and found myself struggling to run all my troopers. At that point, I knew I had the willpower to finally delete the game.

The game was fun at first. I enjoyed the story, I enjoyed the mechanics of it. It was fun, it was simple...it was a game! But over time, they just made the game so convoluted with all these different fragments, and keys, and dungeons, and all kinds of different ways and places to receive resources. I just simply lost track of it all and feel sorry for any new player who tries to play the game. They will probably quit after 2 days due to the game being such a convoluted mess.

Gone are the days of simple resources and souls. Gone are the days when a character's attacking ability is one or 2 sentences. Now every ability on a character is practically a paragraph, in which every attack does like 8 different things, making it hard to keep up with what character specializes in what.

And the worse thing of all is the lack of effort to continue the story. I liked the story. I was invested in the story. The reason I stuck around so long was wanting to see what happens next, but after FOUR YEARS of playing this game, what have they added? Just Night City, which took 2 years or more to release. They also continued the story in the extra LOL dungeon levels, teasing to the Isle of Avalon. That's it. Four years, and they barely added anything new to the story. I'm not waiting on Isle of Avalon anymore. When will it be released? 2021? 2022? Never? All the time they wasted on pumping out character after character, talisman after talisman, and turning the game into a convoluted, confusing mess, they could have instead used that energy pump out new worlds and keep the story going. They even have so many sets of characters now that would fit into new worlds: Trooper characters, Viking characters, Greek characters, and so on. But unfortunately, that will never happen.

At the end of the day, I feel that this game will probably be discontinued shortly after Maiden finally finishes their Legacy of the Beast world tour. That's probably why the focus of the game is not to keep a fun game/story going, but instead focused on pumping out new crap daily to leech as much money as possible out of all the addicted whales before shutting it down in the near future. I can't see this game picking up new players anyway, since its niche is Maiden fans. After 4 years, if your a Maiden fan, you have probably already tried it.

OS
    Android
    "Sad but true"

OS
    Android
    Quote Originally Posted by Dayton Maiden View Post
    And the worse thing of all is the lack of effort to continue the story. I liked the story. I was invested in the story. The reason I stuck around so long was wanting to see what happens next, but after FOUR YEARS of playing this game, what have they added? Just Night City, which took 2 years or more to release. They also continued the story in the extra LOL dungeon levels, teasing to the Isle of Avalon. That's it. Four years, and they barely added anything new to the story.
    Would you like if they added little bits of story to events or other aspects of the game? Occasionally special event dungeons have a bit of story the first time through. Last year's Tiny Tim dungeon is an excellent example of how far a little bit of narrative can go. Was pleasantly surprised to see the Viral Frontier dungeon had some story too.

Considering the wider lore, of Eddie tracking down his fragmented soul all throughout time and space, it would be perfectly suitable to write a few lines of dialogue or even a couple of cutscenes to coincide with the release of new dungeons. For some reason, I'm thinking about Dr Who, arriving in some new place, stepping out of the TARDIS, and trying to work out where they've ended up. Eddie falls out of a portal in the time-rift, all "RAAAGH?!?" until one of his more lucid companions takes a look around "Hmm, isn't that Dracula's Castle? Haven't we already been here, wonder why we've been dragged back here. Oh well, come on Eddie, let's go find out what foul sorcery has dragged us back!". Each wave would continue the 'investigation' until they reach the final boss, and retrieve his soul shard by puting an end to the corrupted Mystic Flame Eddie's experiments. (That would be for the Mystic Night key dungeon, btw)

Something like that could breath new life into things, and leverage one of the game's strongest assets, the world-building and story. It is a huge shame we've had months of excellent Norse-themed content, without a single scene of Eddie comparing teeth-brushing tips with Ragnar, asking if he can pet Freya's giant sgokatts, or relaxing in Odin's massive throne after beating the Odin X raid.

The main roadblock to this suggestion (without knowing anything about the resources available to the dev team of course) would be choosing which companion to pair dear Eddie with. Main Story Spoilers here, but his travelling companion does change during the story, while time-rift adventures can happen at anytime, which could lead to some narrative paradoxes. I know which of those siblings I'd prefer to hang out with, and they could go for some sort of "Force Ghost" style approach, their spirit free to roam time-rift, but unable to influence or participate in the main story any more.
    Azagthor-0732

OS
    Android
    Azagthor, I think the devs need to hire you to write their story content as they obviously are struggling in this department. I agree, the rare instances the dungeons have some story can be very nice. That's what the players want. They want more narrative, more colorful worlds, more reason to play other than another grind fest. This month has been loaded with grinding events. We're exhausted. Every even people complain about more grinding. If the devs would listen they might understand that constant grinding events and resource draining events are not what we want. A couple a moth wouldn't upset most of us, but event after event with more overlapping events is tiring.

I remember when they did their Q&A and the only thing I asked about was Avalon and if future wait times would be much shorter. I was told 'yes'. Well....many months later and still no Avalon. As Dayton said, 4 years and only Night City. That's pretty sad.

Devs, you got an okay game with a magnitude of potential to be great. Listen to your fan base a little more. You've made lots of solid improvements during the life of LotB and for those we are grateful; but there are some key issues we feel are being ignored. Avalon. Silent Planet. Further worlds beyond those. Please release them in a timely manner. They will likely be broken and we will all complain about it, but we will be happy, too.

But I get it. You want to release content that we will play constantly every day. Once we beat a world, we hardly revisit, so what's your motivation, eh? Will, I say that should make it easier to release new worlds at a faster pace. Shell them out quickly while running these grind events. You'll still get money from the white whales. You'll still get people using their resources and spending money to refill. It's a win-win.

Check out Azagthor's post above. He's got some good ideas.

OS
    iOS
    Conversely, there are those of us that really could not care less about some story and find such cut scenes nothing more than superfluous annoyances. I have no clue what "the story" is.. nor do I really care.
    -----------------------------
    CLANLESS
    All there is in this app is to spend money or collect yet more frags... entirely pointless and unfulfilling..

OS
    Android
    A good story is always cool.
    You could even think of something based on what we do in the game.
    For example, no one wondered what was going on with Eddie and the others. With everyone we threw into the victim's cauldron. They most likely were not too happy. Some interesting character, conditional Spawn, Frankenstein could turn out

OS
    Android
    I think the story is a nice touch, though I mostly just skip thru it myself, but something for everybody. I agree, really sick of all the endless overlapping, resource sapping grinding events though. They are so tedious and annoying, and it just ruins the game for me, as it's now just work, not fun. More and more I find myself asking what's the point of all this work? What happened to all the fun, is this all there is from now on? Should I just quit this game and start something new and fun again?

That, and there doesn't seem to be any customer support anymore. Never get any responses, and it seems they just keep piling on the bugs, slowing down and convoluting the game, spewing endless broken features and content, not listening to their users, and never really fixing anything. <End rant>

Do hope they release the new worlds/dungeons soon though. That should rekindle a little interest. Quit teasing us already.