Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

OS
    iOS

Top 5 Cosmics (Gauntlet)

[Some stuff that got construed as self-important. Redacted.]

This thread was started to compliment a companion thread I wrote months ago entitled, “Top 5 5-Sets (Gauntlet).” You can still see it on this Sub-Forum (if you squint).

My opinions from that thread have changed very little. Shout out to Metal (which is situationally very good), Babylon, and Prudence (for last season alone)... I had none of these when I wrote that last article... but, yeah: the Talis I mentioned are solid choices, and the order I put them in still very much makes sense to me. And... these three ^^ aren't technically 5-sets. So... there?

Now, for Cosmics. If I'm going to advise you what 5-sets to play, it makes sense to FINALLY compliment that advice with what Cosmics might make sense with them. Alright. Ready? In reverse order... here we go!

(A quick note: I've only included Cosmic Talismans I currently own, which includes none of the ones which could be purchased (i.e. Clover, which I envy with all my heart) or have yet to be released (Grail, maybe? Fortune, definitely!). With more and better effects coming out as Cosmics all the time, the timing of this article is and/but always will be silly. Yet there is a very good reason I chose to write it now, which will be revealed by the credits.)

5) HP +15%.

Huh?

Yep, it's a completely ridiculous choice, which I type for you now for a very specific reason: many of the effects that have been released as cosmics are fairly specific. They are not ubiquitously good, and sometimes they require you to land perfect hits, or rely on chance triggers, etc. I don't intend to have my winning or losing determined by exactly when I click or what RNG chooses to give me. Some effects I really like, i.e. Present, are likely to see you dead if you go second (no Def, MR, or HP), and some (i.e. Limbo) I simply haven't played with enough to judge the value of.

So, why HP +15%? Because stats matter. Defense particularly, because you better bet that other team is going to get a turn. And my HP +15% (which I would normally toss) just happens to be of the T3 Red variety, with high Mag and high HP. It does a pretty great job keeping me alive in conjunction with Artifact (see previous article). No messy mucking about in hyperspace.

4) Siege

It is a crime this is so high. Or, low. Or, you know what I mean.

Siege was the first head-scratching 4-set I saw as a Cosmic, if you don't count the Fortune Cosmic P2W Talismans I saw on a couple Lucifers a couple gauntlet seasons ago. Sets of this caliber shouldn't be cosmics. It is a properly weighted 4-set, and saving three slots for a talisman is just too good.

Siege makes my list while Gate doesn't for two reasons: 1) it can strip + effects, including golden effects, and 2) its stats line up very well. Siege gives you immunity from Physical Damage and boosts your MR significantly. Between these two things, it makes the toon wearing it very hard to kill whilst also offering some nice upside. Don't get me wrong...: Gate is situationally good, and even sometimes game-winning. But it isn't as ubiquitous as Siege. Ubiquity makes the list.

3) Bespoke P. Dog/Banshee/Russian Family/Lilith

Remember how I just discussed ubiquity? Like my HP +15% selection, this one is a little silly and kind of feels like cheating. However, all of these cosmics can be affixed to at least 4 different toons and give you access to effects that are very powerful (or even essential) in gauntlet matches. P. Dog and Banshee Bespoke Cosmics are solid choices pretty much always. The Russian Family Cosmics and Lilith are great in specific match-ups that happen often enough (read: every season, without fail) to deserve mention. I usually take a Lilith to fight Moonchild so I don't have to land perfect hits (and get at least a little bit of Doom immunity, although it seems like this Cosmic can still be disabled). The Russian Family you want on hand against most Odins, A. Werewolf, and now (in particular) Redan... because if you can't keep Crave up on Redan reliably she'll never die through all her revenge-healing.

The other reason I added Bespokes to this list is to emphasize exactly how good these last two selections are.

2) Serenity

Serenity was already excellent, and then it began to drop from common souls with Mag. to go along with its Att. and HP. That particular variation isn't *better* than the original (HP/Att./Sp.), but being different gives you more options to play with.

It seems like every team worth its Gauntlet salt can Doom you eventually, which is one reason Serenity gets the nod. But if it can't Doom you, it can inflict Perfect Disable on your everybody. Or even Perfect Stun or Perfect sleep. There are so many bad effects you simply don't get with Serenity on. There have been so many times... SO MANY... that I lose a Gauntlet battle and think, "I would have won that with Serenity." This is a mistake I will hopefully no longer be making.

Literally better than most Bespoke Cosmics, most of the time.

Kidding, not.

1) Alchemy

This one was a mistake. By which I mean, creating it was a mistake. It is also the reason for this article.

Refer to my previous article. Please? No? It's OK, I don't blame you. Well so anyway, in my previous article (...grumbles...) Alchemy makes my list over Celestial. And after Celestial gets boosted, Alchemy will still top Celestial IMO. And also Niflehiem, which did not exist when that article was written. Alchemy is not only a 5-set (giving you 4 slots of value), but it is a 5-set that I believe is still meta-relevant, at least in Gauntlet. It is one of the very few sets that has lasted as long as it has and is only a little worse for wear.

The worst way to lose a gauntlet match is to get bogged down by negative effects. Between Serenity and Alchemy, every single one of your toons can now be battle-ready for every Gauntlet match. And unlike Angel, which has mediocre stats and cleanses only the toon you put it on, Alchemy fixes your whole team if you can find a safe place to put it (and without blue slots!). I can't overstate how fortune-changing this Cosmic can be.

Let's be real. Top 5-five sets was an article about how good Yggdrassil was (And is, still. That was a good call. Way to go, me.). This is an article about Alchemy. The rest of the analysis or whatever doesn't really matter.
    Last edited by Puntwothree; 08-21-2020 at 11:43 AM.

OS
    Android
    You kind of touch on this but ranking eds, talismans, cosmics, and everything in this game is kind of pointless in terms of gauntlet.

Upper levels of gauntlet is all about countering the team your facing with what toons you have left and what talismans they can wear.

And if you are really concerned about hits on this post, I would recommend doing something about the formatting so it doesn't read as a giant wall of text. Maybe some images or trimming some of the text might help. Even breaking it up in to multiple comments in the thread might help.
    Summon the strength of millenniums past, forged by the fire and flame
    I am the weapon of empires vast, Immortal is more than a name

MuzakMaker-3591

OS
    iOS
    1 Bespoke.. any character
    2 Serenty
    3 Angel (the original.. not how they nerfed it later.)
    4 Alchemy
    5 Echo

All the HP/MR/etc boosts can be done via the other sets on the character.

Gauntlet is a joke.. I waste time on the lower grades that NEVER cause anything even close to a loss... then I hit SS or SSS with teams so impossibly overpowered with impossible talisman set up that it takes several tries. Nothing quite like trying to compete against a cheating system.
    -----------------------------
    CLANLESS
    All there is in this app is to spend money or collect yet more frags... entirely pointless and unfulfilling..

OS
    iOS
    I would say ranking toons is pointless in gauntlet but ranking talismans is not. You will not always have access to every toon, but if you plan your attack right you can always have access to every talisman.

This ranking system could be useful if, say, you have passed the gatekeeper phase of a stage and you’re trying to figure out who to save up for the next round. My go-to toons for “fluff” matches are now Magus toons or toons with Magus slots, seeing as anyone and also their mothers can now wear Alchemy.

In no universe is Angel better than Alchemy. The “cleanse” is better on Alchemy and it hits 4x as many toons. Angel doesn’t give invincibility for one turn. The 5% heal on Angel is irrelevant. (The stats? Original Angel has some pretty cool stats. Alas, I don’t have that variant.)
    Leader, The Hobbitses (a.k.a. Down Under 2)

With grave peril comes grave invisibility...
    Keeping The Eye off the prize since Rivendell.

OS
    iOS
    Incidentally, I really don’t care about hits. I do this ^^ because I think it’s fun. I could make it more user friendly if I were feeling generous.

OS
    Android
    Quote Originally Posted by Puntwothree View Post
    Incidentally, I really don’t care about hits. I do this ^^ because I think it’s fun. I could make it more user friendly if I were feeling generous.
    Hit's was literally your first point and is a stat that you have to search to find. If you didn't really care you wouldn't know.

But again. Ranking is more of a "I like this" and less of a "This is better than that". Doesn't matter how useful any of us think a cosmic is if the team your facing is either immune to it or if it serves no point (like siege against a team that only does true damage). There is just too much context that prevents any equivocal statement for any of the current cosmics.

MuzakMaker-3591

OS
    iOS
    ...? Search to find? You mean, how you have to search a globe to find the Pacific Ocean?

If you look at any thread, you see Title (Views). I hadn’t looked at my Views for the 5-Sets thread for months. Nonetheless, I went back and glanced it over before writing this one.

The reason I hadn’t “seen” or “checked” my views for months is, I don’t check the PvP Sub Forum often. Or really, at all.

If I was concerned with hits, would I have hidden my post in a Sub Forum I don’t check often? Or really, at all?

Pay no head to the order in which I made my “points.” This isn’t a newspaper article, and if it were I wouldn’t have written it. The relevant information doesn’t come first.

In fact, by the very nature of it being a ranking thread, the relevant information comes last.

The hits thing was a light-hearted element of the introduction. The conclusion was, “I wrote article to tell you to grab Alchemy and use it. Nothing else matters.” Just like the crux of “5-Sets” was, “Don’t dismiss Yggs (this new set that just came out). It is the real deal.”

I could have started a new thread in general that said, “Grab Alchemy and use it!!” That would have been straight-forward and user-friendly. But it wouldn’t have been fun.

Probably would have gotten more hits.

OS
    iOS
    This is why Ranking Threads/Articles/what have you are fun:

Everyone has favorite... in this case Talismans, and the chances are there is overlap between most people’s favorites but most lists are not the same. Like the fact that I disregarded most Bespoke talis out of hand and said both Serenity and Alchemy are usually better. That is probably not a popular choice.

So people will get worked up about how you ranked something (or didn’t), and hopefully have a spirited (and yes, pointless) debate with you about why your choices are not theirs.

And you, and they, and every bystander that chooses to participate (or not) can chide each other over those choices, and/or who is supposedly smarter, and why, and in so doing perhaps have a think about their preferences (or mine) and try out something new. It is supposed to be a roundabout, whimsical, and not entirely instructive exercise all things considered, which is why I posted it under “PvP” and not under “Guides.”

By coming in and saying “all rankings are pointless,” you are not only raining on my parade but on everyone who might otherwise have voiced an opinion that doesn’t match mine.

Yup had the right idea, though I could have done without “Gauntlet is dumb” vibe.

OS
    Android
    Quote Originally Posted by Puntwothree View Post
    This is why Ranking Threads/Articles/what have you are fun:

Everyone has favorite... in this case Talismans, and the chances are there is overlap between most people’s favorites but most lists are not the same. Like the fact that I disregarded most Bespoke talis out of hand and said both Serenity and Alchemy are usually better. That is probably not a popular choice.

So people will get worked up about how you ranked something (or didn’t), and hopefully have a spirited (and yes, pointless) debate with you about why your choices are not theirs.

And you, and they, and every bystander that chooses to participate (or not) can chide each other over those choices, and/or who is supposedly smarter, and why, and in so doing perhaps have a think about their preferences (or mine) and try out something new. It is supposed to be a roundabout, whimsical, and not entirely instructive exercise all things considered, which is why I posted it under “PvP” and not under “Guides.”

By coming in and saying “all rankings are pointless,” you are not only raining on my parade but on everyone who might otherwise have voiced an opinion that doesn’t match mine.

Yup had the right idea, though I could have done without “Gauntlet is dumb” vibe.
    If you had phrased it as "what are your favourite talismans than that would be fine. Instead you phrased at Top 5 Gauntlet talismans. That is what is pointless and I'm going to side with Yup, Gauntlet really is quite dumb. Good on you for spending or wasting (depends on your point of view) towards your bragging rights of winning 100+ battles for marginal rewards.

If you want here are my top 5.

5. The best counter for the left ally
    4. The best counter for the middle ally
    3. The best counter for the right ally
    2. The best counter for the Ed
    1. The best counter for the entire team.

MuzakMaker-3591

OS
    iOS
    Is your favorite toon also the best toon? And your favorite food is the tastiest? And your favorite color is the most appealing?

Tell me under what circumstances Cosmic Preset is “the best counter” to anything, and I’ll pretend your non-argument has merit. (Keep in mind that I like Cosmic Present.) You are acting like Cosmics are Rock, Paper, or Scissors, when in reality Rock rips through Paper and the Scissors didn’t even work to begin with.

Not that I was asking your opinion. In fact, I believe I was asking you to please refrain from continuing to give it.

What I believe I said was that I wrote this thread for enjoyment and your tangential opinion, which I never asked for, is making it less enjoyable. Now you may proceed to argue with me about what I meant by that.

Or, seeing as there is no way this thread can effect you (given that you believe rankings are pointless and gauntlet is dumb), you could go read something that matters to you.