Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Metal Talk

Senior Member The Educated fool's Avatar
    OS
    Android

Metal Talk

What bands besides Maiden are you folks into? I tend towards most types of metal and rock... from Cannibal Corpse to The Beatles, from AC/DC to Marilyn Manson, from Black Sabbath to Cradle of Filth... different tunes for different moods. What does it for you?

Cool

Hi, I listen to a wide range of music too...and for metal genre I took a liking to Iron Maiden, Slayer, Gamma Ray, Sinergy, Helloween, Stratovarius and Bathory when I was young. Now what's left in my Metal Jukebox for more than a decade are Helloween & Stratovarius.

Playing this game brings me back in time and now I am exploring Iron Maiden music like never before.
    Last edited by Kaijester; 07-10-2016 at 11:24 PM.

OS
    Android
    It does sorta get ya in the mood for Maiden, doesn't it?
    EducatedFool-1193

MOFO 4 LIFE!

You know it's not only madmen who listen to Fools

I started listening to Maidens when I was 12, Nicko was one of those drummers who got me into drumming.

Genres I like: Death (Melodic, Technical), Black, Power, Thrash, Folk and Heavy Metal, mainly bands from the late 80's and 90's.
    Aside from Metal I like Rock and some Reggae. That's pretty much it..

OS
    Android
    I almost never put anything on that isn't rock or metal, but when I do, it's pretty much classical. I can handle most other types of music though, in moderation. lol

So, when you say melodic death metal, what bands come to mind?
    EducatedFool-1193

MOFO 4 LIFE!

OS
    Android
    I'm very eclectic - probably about 50% metal, lots of classic rock too, but also classical, jazz, some dance... anything that involves musical skill to produce, really. Maiden are probably second behind Alice Cooper for me (sorry, I'm a heretic). Currently listening to a lot of Halestorm and In This Moment.

In terms of playing I can noodle a bit on guitar and keyboard, can drum passably but am kitless at the moment, but my real thing is singing. I've done a fair amount of choral stuff, and really appreciate the technical skills of a good singer. Vocal Heroes are Freddie Mercury, Ronnie James Dio and Doro Pesch. Bruce is up there too in terms of technical skill. I'm not QUITE so impressed with Paul or Blaze (although I do have some Wolfsbane stuff from his pre-Maiden days, cos the band had a good groove).

Gosh. That was rambly.

(Edited for autocorrect - fancy autocorrecting Doro to Dorothy! For shame, phone! )

Amon Amarth, Be'Lakor, Skyfire, At the Gates, Wintersun, Insomnium, Wolfheart and there are probably more which I can't remember right now.

I like a wide variety of music too. All types of metal: thrash, grind, death, black, progressive. When it comes to other stuff, I like jazz (esp. the avant-garde or fusion stuff), classic rock, old hardcore punk, noise, krautrock, old hip-hop (mostly Wu-Tang), some funk and anything with an experimental bent.

Some of my favorite non-Maiden bands/artists (Maiden is my no question #1 fave of all time) are:

Rush
    Frank Zappa
    Miles Davis
    Can
    King Crimson
    Black Sabbath
    Tool
    Motorhead
    Radiohead
    Neil Young
    Tom Waits
    Prince
    David Bowie
    Sunn O)))
    Cannibal Corpse
    Slayer
    Death

...well, yeah. I have a lot of favorites.

OS
    Android
    Ever checked out Cannibal Corpse live? I caught 'em with Napalm Death a few years back... killer show.

@Hellcrow: Love Amon Amarth! So many great tunes... my all time fave of theirs is Stand Up to Go Down though... lol

@Jennie: Nothing wrong with ol' Alice Cooper, for sure. I dig In This Moment too (with the exception of their last album), but I can't get into Halestorm. Do you listen to any Lacuna Coil, Huntress, Kittie or Arch Enemy at all?
    EducatedFool-1193

MOFO 4 LIFE!

OS
    Android
    Being "middle aged" I've been around the block a few times Seen and heard many bands Grew up with Pink Floyd, Rod Stewart, Elvis & Bagpipes from my dad Connie Francis The Dubliners, Christy Moore & Wolfe Tones from my mum. Went through phases of being a Mod - Skinhead - Skipped the House techno thing of the mid 80's

Discovered MAIDEN in 1986 (Thanks to a colleague at the Cinema)
    NEVER been unfaithful to rock/metal since (apart from Classical & Military)

Some of the bands i have on vinyl, CD & Laptop include:
    4 Non Blondes, A7X, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, Anthrax, Black Sabbath, Cradle of Filth, Def Leppard, Dio, Faith No More, Five finger death punch, Green Day, Guns n Roses, Halestorm, Hanoi Rocks, Iron Maiden, Jimi Hendrix, Judas Priest, Kings of Leon, Kiss, Lost Prophets, Marillion (Fish era), Marilyn Manson, Megadeth, Metallica, Ministry, Motorhead, Muse, Nine Inch Nails, Offspring, Ozzy Osbourne, Pantera, Pink Floyd, Pig Irön, Public Enemy, Queen, Rammstein, Red Hot Chili Peppers, REM, Status Quo, Steranko, Testament, The Almighty, The Clash, The Doors, The Ramones, The Rolling Stones, Thin Lizzy, Thunder, U2, Velvet Revolver.

+more
    Last edited by AmBush-UK; 07-20-2016 at 03:33 PM.
    February 2nd 2017 Update was a COMPLETE CLUSTERFUCK ! and the final nail in the coffin
    http://www.thewalkingdeadnomansland.com/
    Zombie Stompers
    Kill all Walkers and anyone who gets in your way!
    Kill 'Em All
    UK Based Walker killers

How many walkers have you killed?
    How many people have you killed?
    Why?
    150 * MINIMUM