Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    OS
    Android

Guide to XP Runes

Last update: Brave New World Update
    At one point, the droprate of XP Runes got rather nerfed (though it has since recovered) to the point where I thought it necessary to do an analysis on these things. So I’m gonna give you some numbers and graphs on how they work.

The best place to get runes is Underworld Madness. AFAIK, playing any level of Underworld Madness will give you either 5x 3* runes, 2x 4* runes, 3x 4* runes or 1x 5* rune. These can be any color.
    Battlefield Madness will give you 4x 3* runes, 2x 4* or 1x 5* rune.
    Kingdom of the Sands Madness will give you 2x 3* runes, 1x 3* runes or 1x 4* rune.
    Ailing Kingdom Madness will give you 15x 1* runes, 4x 2* runes or 1x 3* rune.

Two other options for XP Runes exist: every month, you can buy a Talisman Power Up Pack from the Store for 625 Ironite for each color. They give 99 5* XP Runes, along with some Gold and Evolution Runes to power them up. XP Runes are also available in Brave New World, but given the high Sands of Time cost, farming for Runes there is not that practical.

They are also available in Skull Quests, namely the XP Material Cache & Hoard.

Approximate Rune Drops on Underworld Madness by day
    Esquatcho has made a handy study on approximate rune drops here (Outdated; drops have improved since then)

Quote Originally Posted by Esquatcho View Post
    So across 200 rounds, we got a total of 4.98 talismans from 5* level 1 to level 50. Thats an average of 1.245 talismans per day or the equivalent of 43.57 x 4* upgrade runes per day.
    To take a talisman from a base 3* level 1 to 5* level 50, you need 48 x 4* upgrade runes. So assuming you have even distribution over time of colours, you can max out one talisman of each colour completely every 5.5 days. So as long as you are working on talismans of different colours constantly, you will be able to upgade 6 characters worth of talismans each month.
    Here’s the amount of gold it costs to use one rune:
    1* rune: 150
    2* runes: 525
    3* rune: 3000
    4* rune: 6000
    5* rune: 14400

Here's how many runes you need to max out a Talisman (Talisman rank ups are NOT included here):
    Name:  How many to max Talisman.png
Views: 5198
Size:  12.4 KB
    It appears that for every 2 runes you spend that match the Talisman color, you need 3 runes that don't match the Talisman color if you want to max your Talisman.
    So a 2:3 ratio

Here's the rate at which a 5* Talisman levels when given (color-matched) runes
    Name:  Talisman levelling.png
Views: 3300
Size:  13.8 KB

If you don't have enough runes to fully max a Talisman yet:
    A level 17 5* Talisman's stats are all equal to or more powerful than a level 40 4* Talisman
    A level 12 4* Talisman's stats are all equal to or more powerful than a level 30 3* Talisman

And here's a picture that shows Talisman stats at level 50:
    Name:  Talisman stats.png
Views: 1948
Size:  23.3 KB

If there's anything obvious that I missed or you want to know, just say so and I'll investigate.

Hope this helps you all.
    Last edited by Kardas; 10-04-2017 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Max Talisman stats
    Soldier blue in the barren wastes
    Reflecting and shielding's a game
    Wrecking the Axis and wasting the dogs
    The only good demons are tame

Kardas-1158. Retired

OS
    Android
    That's an awesome thread!

Since I'm new to endgame farming, I've rarely used wrong colors to level up talismans.

I was leveling my 5* talisman till level 40, but somehow I found the level 34 the optimal benefit/cost and the graphic shows something along that line.

12 *4 Xp runes to level 34. If you put another 12 4* runes, it will only level to around 43.

So I think the best for me is to put all talisman to 5* level 34. And then slowly maximizing them.

Thanks Kardas for that great analysis!

If there's anything obvious that I missed or you want to know, just say so and I'll investigate.
    I'd like to know the bonus each talisman gives per level. I think for the sake of analysis, only 1 type would be enough, like Strength Fierce.

I don't know if the curve Level/Bonus is linear. Because my previous analysis of level 34 being somehow optimal considers that linearity. If we could know that curve, maybe we could find a different optimal level.
    Last edited by IceeeDz; 11-24-2016 at 01:05 PM.

OS
    Android
    Here you go:
    Name:  Talisman stat levels.png
Views: 11210
Size:  7.5 KB

Turns out your guess is right: the stat levels go up linearly!

Kardas-1158. Retired

OS
    iOS
    Nice work, I had a feeling it was so, but good to see actual numbers!

So basically the value per upgrade rune expended decreases quite rapidly as you towards higher levels.

I've played with maxing talismans before moving onto the next, but it was taking so long, I now upgrade as soon as possible and then slowly work on getting them up to about the 5* 30 level, which is when it starts to get really slow.

In a way, I've also done this to make the daily talisman upgrade achievement really easy.

Thanks again!
    Gringo-4930
    MOFO

Currently grinding for:
    Odin(s) - Freya - Scrooge (Slauki) Ed / Moar Yggs

OS
    Android
    Unless they've changed this in a recent update: Red 4* and 5* runes are 1/3 more expensive than the same level runes of other colors. They also contribute more when using them for non-red talismans than other wrong colour runes do (e.g. a red 4* rune does more than a green 4* rune when upgrading a blue talisman). However, they do the same for red talismans as other runes do for talismans of their own color.

I'm all out of talismans so I can't check if all this is still true or if they have changed it in recent updates.

Edit: This doesn't appear to be the case anymore.
    Last edited by konstifik; 11-26-2016 at 11:00 AM.
    Johan-1264
    Champion: Vampire Hunter Eddie 5* Lvl 100 Maxed Talismans, Maxed Skills

OS
    Android
    I briefly compared the cost and level up % of a few runes with a green Talisman, and reds seems to not offer an extra boost anymore.

Kardas-1158. Retired

OS
    Android
    Nice work !!!!
    Thank you very much !!!!
    I hope they adjust the drop rate of XP runes because I'm sure that after the last update was nerfed too much, I can't find those anymore (I used all my sands of time).
    This way the daily challenge is impossible to complete, and all the game progress suffers ...

OS
    iOS
    Just finished a short study on XP upgrade rune drops across 200 rounds doing only secret locations and game of death underworld madness.

Full details here:
    http://forum.ironmaidenlegacy.com/sh...ll=1#post25049

But basically, it showed a little variability from day to day, but worked out to the equivalent of 43.57 x 4* upgrade runes per day. So close, but not quite 1 talisman full upgraded from 3* level 1 to 5* level 50 each day (assuming the right colours).
    Gringo-4930
    MOFO

Currently grinding for:
    Odin(s) - Freya - Scrooge (Slauki) Ed / Moar Yggs

OS
    Android
    That's really neat! I'll add the link in the post above

Also I did a minor fix on the image showing the leveling rate of a Talisman per rune by replacing it and now the old one's appearing at the bottom of the post. Does anyone know a fix for that?
    Last edited by Kardas; 12-01-2016 at 01:20 PM.

Kardas-1158. Retired

OS
    Android
    Quote Originally Posted by Kardas View Post
    The best place to get runes is Underworld Madness.
    ... And so the shop now *_*

Cheers,

W
    Witkacy-2631

In today's event: Flushy Tuesday you may try for one & only 25:

Hallow Ed

Don't worry be harpy