Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    OS
    Android
    Hi,

I think there are limitations to both Google sheets, and excel. As for Access whilst it may be better, I'm wondering if a mySql / pho website may be the best solution.

* Available to all via internet. On any device
    * Easier to keep up to date, as could have a number of admins tasked with keeping the data current.
    * Many features could be developed.

I struggled with my original Google Sheet, which painkillers is based on, due to restrictions in Google sheets, meaning had to fix it regularly.

I've a little experience with mySql PhP not so much. Given some time / help I may be able to come up with something.

But it needs to be a group effort I think. Keeping the data current would be too much for one person alone.

So let me known it you are interested, and I'll see what I can throw together.

Cheers

Kevin

OS
    Android
    Quote Originally Posted by kjtaylor13 View Post
    Hi,

I think there are limitations to both Google sheets, and excel. As for Access whilst it may be better, I'm wondering if a mySql / pho website may be the best solution.

* Available to all via internet. On any device
    * Easier to keep up to date, as could have a number of admins tasked with keeping the data current.
    * Many features could be developed.

I struggled with my original Google Sheet, which painkillers is based on, due to restrictions in Google sheets, meaning had to fix it regularly.

I've a little experience with mySql PhP not so much. Given some time / help I may be able to come up with something.

But it needs to be a group effort I think. Keeping the data current would be too much for one person alone.

So let me known it you are interested, and I'll see what I can throw together.

Cheers

Kevin
    Definitely trade offs no matter which way you go. Mine was made before I found Painkillers sheet. And, when I'd found it, someone had broken it. The reason I didn't open mine to editing.

I've thought about the sql/php route, but then you've got web hosting to consider. That and I've got more experience with access, although I'm pretty rusty. I do think a database of some sort would work far better than the spreadsheet.

My goal has been to build something that would work well with don slauki's maximized character thread. That way it would be just a matter of updating the database and then be able to generate the maximized character sheets from it. Add in the talismans and then it also allows anyone to play with maximizing their characters.

I've been pulling some OT at work, so this project kind of slipped from my routine. But, I'll do some looking again tonight. It'd be nice to get something together. Now just have to figure out how to make it happen.

OS
    iOS
    I have to say that I admire and appreciate anyone that has the talent/skill and puts the effort into these projects that help other players improve on their characters/game play. My skills with spreadsheets and databases were moderate when I was working with them a regular basis and have greatly degenerated since I retired due to medical reasons. I have plenty of time on my hands now, but no experience/knowledge with some of what you are discussing and limited amounts of experience/knowledge with some of the other programs.
    Trooper ID Mysti-6536
    Current Champion Cyborg Eddie Maxed
    If you're one of my troopers, please send me a friend request here. It would be nice to have contact in case one of the other of us has a reason why we might be temporarily inactive.

OS
    Android
    Hi

How about I create a msql database that can be a central LOTBDB, that can then be queried in the exel sheet / Access DB / Web page.

That way the community has a single Database source to go to. We could have multiple accounts for Data Entry, but have it open for read, so anyone can query it.

We could them provide code / links to the data / tables that can be used in Excel and Access etc.

What do you think. I have the hosting, and a domain I could create a subdomain for the Database.

Let me know.

Thanks

Kevin

OS
    Android
    Hi

How about I create a msql database that can be a central LOTBDB, that can then be queried in the exel sheet / Access DB / Web page.

That way the community has a single Database source to go to. We could have multiple accounts for Data Entry, but have it open for read, so anyone can query it.

We could them provide code / links to the data / tables that can be used in Excel and Access etc.

What do you think. I have the hosting, and a domain I could create a subdomain for the Database.

Let me know.

Thanks

Kevin
    ??? Wtf? U guys blow me away! But very nice!
    Those that can...do
    Those that can't...teach
    Silentknight-4997, # of times laid since July/16...lots!!!
    Hahahaha, pathetic that some have to sell themselves as troopers

OS
    Android
    That could work. Not sure what you've got in mind for structure on it. Not sure if you looked at my download version. It's mostly the same as my sheets version.

I've got abilities and such separated into their own tables. I think that method is best, so that when they make a tuning change to an ability it automatically applies to all characters with that ability. I'm sure if you've got database experience you've probably already got that covered, but just wanted to throw it in their in case.

Still quite a few hours before I get home, so no chance to look at mine yet and see what I have that might be of use.

Thank you Mysti and SK, hopefully we can make something that everyone can gain from.

Btw Kevin, I'm Kevin as well.

OS
    Android
    This is what I got as a starter. I've not created these yet. I'm open to suggestions for more or less fields, and additional tables.

It's entirely possible with a database to be able to build teams. Not just single Characters. But as usual Iget ahead of myself.

Table: Eddie /Allies
    Fields: Name,Desc, Class, FuryPas, PreBasic,PrePower,PaBasic,PaPower,FuBasic,FuPower, HP,ATK,DEF,MAG,MR,SP,S4,S5,S6,IMG

Table: Talismans
    Fields: Name, SubType, Colour, MaxHP, MaxATK, MaxDEF, MaxMAG,MaxMR,NoSet,EffectDesc,EffectCalc,Effect2Ca lc,EffectType,Effect2Type, IMG

Table:Abilities
    Fields: Name, Type,Cost,Desc,Effect1,Chance1,Effect2,Chance2,Eff ect3,Chance3

I should be able to import the existing data from the spreadsheets as a starting point. Which can then be checked and updated.

Anyways away with work tomorrow, so won't get time to work on this. But will whilst on the Train be working on using all my Troopers .

Cheers Kevin

OS
    Android
    I'll compare it to what I have set up once I get home. Still about 3 hours of work left, I work long days.

I agree.on the building teams with it. A lot that can be done, but have to have a good foundation.

Cheers

OS
    iOS
    Not a clue but sounds really f'n awesome!! Sure hope y'all get ya heads together on this, it could be (dare I say it)......a game changer. Lol
    ​Sunlight, falling on your steel,
    Death in life is your ideal,
    Life is like a wheel

BG840-9659

OS
    Android
    This is what I got as a starter. I've not created these yet. I'm open to suggestions for more or less fields, and additional tables.

It's entirely possible with a database to be able to build teams. Not just single Characters. But as usual Iget ahead of myself.

Table: Eddie /Allies
    Fields: Name,Desc, Class, FuryPas, PreBasic,PrePower,PaBasic,PaPower,FuBasic,FuPower, HP,ATK,DEF,MAG,MR,SP,S4,S5,S6,IMG

Table: Talismans
    Fields: Name, SubType, Colour, MaxHP, MaxATK, MaxDEF, MaxMAG,MaxMR,NoSet,EffectDesc,EffectCalc,Effect2Ca lc,EffectType,Effect2Type, IMG

Table:Abilities
    Fields: Name, Type,Cost,Desc,Effect1,Chance1,Effect2,Chance2,Eff ect3,Chance3

I should be able to import the existing data from the spreadsheets as a starting point. Which can then be checked and updated.

Anyways away with work tomorrow, so won't get time to work on this. But will whilst on the Train be working on using all my Troopers .

Cheers Kevin
    Ok, I'm going to say Eddies/Allies I'm pretty much on the same page as you. I'm guessing Desc is what I've been defining as role. There is one caveat on the abilities, Aces High Eddie is an oddball with 4 power abilities and only 2 basic.

I like the abilities broken down into separate tables as it makes it a simpler search if you're looking for specific combinations for a team. Not necessarily with a database, but more for importing into excel without rearranging the whole table. Also my preference is broken down by levels which doesn't seem to be what you have.

For talismans, you're missing MaxSP from your list. That's all I see at the moment. I'm trying to work out a way to break out abilities and talisman effects somewhat further as well.

That's all I've got at the moment. My weekend doesn't start until Thursday, and won't be until then that I can really play around with it.

Almost forgot. Would like to add in the where to find particular talismans. What level characters drop at, etc. I'm a perfectionist which is probably why I end up stalled on projects a lot.
    Last edited by Askora; 06-12-2017 at 04:15 AM.