OS
    Android

True vs physical/magical damage

A lot of people seem to think that true damage is the superior damage type as it ignores DEF and MR. However, it is harder to buff true damage. So while true damage has a "built in" buff, there are lot more buffs that the player can put in place for physical and magical damagers.

Most (but not all) true damage dealers have their damage scale equally from ATK and MAG. This makes the ATK UP and MAG UP buffs less effective than for physical and magical damagers. On the other hand, true damage will benefit from either one while physical and magical damage need their specific buff. These buffs increase ATK and MAG by 50 % respectively. So, looking at characters that don't have additional scaling from other stats (like DEF or HP), ATK UP will increase the damage for a physical damager by 50 % while it will only increase damage by 25 % for a true damager with equal ATK and MAG stats (and the same for MAG UP and magical damagers, of course). It should be noted that characters with additional damage from DEF or MR will need both ATK UP and DEF UP, or MAG UP and MR UP, to get a 50 % damage boost, just like true damagers will need both ATK UP and MAG UP for a 50 % damage boost.

Also note that there are some attacks that base their damage on such things as SPEC and HP (in many ways, such as own max HP, enemy's max HP and enemy's current HP) which are stats that can't buffed and thus those attacks can't be buffed as effectively as others.

Critical strikes seem to work the same way (double damage) for all damage types and is perhaps the best way to buff a true damager.

For physical and magical damagers, there is also PHYSICAL CHARGE and MAGICAL CHARGE, which greatly increase the damage output from physical and magical damage respectively. However, the buff is consumed upon first use. There is also an ability called charge which increases the damage from the next offensive ability. However, this is only available through two characters (Assassin Troll and Assassin Death Dog) and the Troll can only apply it to itself.

Another way to increase damage is to debuff the enemy. The most common way is with DEF DOWN or MR DOWN. Exactly how DEF and MR works is not known by the player community yet, but these debuffs do help. Even better are the buffs called ARMOR PENETRATION and MAGIC PENETRATION, which have a chance to be activated by equipping Piercing and Penetrating talismans respecitively and doing perfect hits as well as through some characters abilities (eg Samurai Eddies fury move). These buffs make the character ignore the enemy's DEF and MR respectively, making it akin to true damage.

There is also the Curse debuff that can be applied by the Pharaoh Dog and Pharaoh Dog King, which increases the damage taken from all damage types. In a similar fashion, the Ignite and Smite debuffs increase the damage taken from physical and magical damage respectively. Ignite and Smite are also more common than the Curse effect and some characters have a chance to apply them to multiple enemies as well. From what I've seen, damage is doubled against enemies who are Ignited or Smited.

On the other hand, it is also a little easier for enemies to protect themselves from physical and magical damage, as debuffing your ATK or MAG will affect those damage dealers more, and buffing their own DEF and MR will reduce physical and magical damage while it won't affect true damage.

In conclusion, true damage is more stable and reliable with less ways to vary both up and down, while physical and magical damage have more, as well as more common ways to be buffed, and stat buffs are usually more effective. Getting buffs in place may require some build-up but can give great payoffs which can be very useful against bosses.
    Last edited by konstifik; 02-01-2017 at 09:30 AM.
    Johan-1264
    Champion: Vampire Hunter Eddie 5* Lvl 100 Maxed Talismans, Maxed Skills

OS
    Android
    Nice write-up, with a mistake though. Death Dog buffs all party.
    _______ 💀 Tom-7714 💀 ___________

___________ | CLAN | __________

👹 The Mofo Cult 👹

OS
    iOS
    Why I love doing Soldier Eddies Fury attack to raise all stats 3 turns with a true damager.

Give 'em Bloody hell!

Nice write up!

OS
    Android
    Fantastic thread! A great overview of the different damage types and their buffs. I didn't even know that the Assassin Troll could Charge people.
    Small correction: 'Pharaoh' needs an 'h'.
    If you want, I could run a test with my PDK and check how much extra damage the Curse debuff does
    Soldier blue in the barren wastes
    Reflecting and shielding's a game
    Wrecking the Axis and wasting the dogs
    The only good demons are tame

Kardas-1158. Retired

Great contribution konstifik!! thanks.
    English is not my native language

Demoonchild-7235 // Already full of nice troopers, some of them nice people too!

OS
    Android
    great thread, but i'm pretty sure assassin troll can only charge himself...glad to see more constructive threads in the last time :-)

don't be a mofo and join the mofos.

if you are interested in joining one of the top 5 clans in lotb, contact me and we can start the negotiation. we are full atm but we can put you on the mofo list if you like.

OS
    Android
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristo4 View Post
    Nice write-up, with a mistake though. Death Dog buffs all party.
    Thanks for the correction! I've edited the OP. I don't have the Death Dog so I looked him up in the all characters thread (very useful, thanks slauki and all contributors) and it wasn't clear from the skill description that it applied to all.
    Johan-1264

OS
    Android
    Quote Originally Posted by Kardas View Post
    Fantastic thread! A great overview of the different damage types and their buffs. I didn't even know that the Assassin Troll could Charge people.
    Small correction: 'Pharaoh' needs an 'h'.
    If you want, I could run a test with my PDK and check how much extra damage the Curse debuff does
    Edited the spelling mistake. Thanks for the correction! In Swedish it's spelled "farao" so getting that last "h" in when writing in English is something I always forget.
    Johan-1264

OS
    Android
    Played around a little with my Wickerman and Ignite seem to double the physical damage taken. Combine that with ATK UP and we're talking three times the unbuffed damage.
    Johan-1264

OS
    Android
    Great thread!
    Browno-3535
    Fully sharded Eddies:
    Aces High, Cyborg, Tailgunner, Navigator, Soldier, Pharaoh, Viking, FOTD, Vampire Hunter, Rainmaker, Eternity, Samurai, Shaman, Trooper, 7th son,Grim Reaper, Edward the great, Mystic, Carriage Rider, Run to the Hills, Mummy