Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question about Souls and the Book

So I've got a shiny new Rare Soul, and I haven't been crushed by the reality of getting another 3* Corrupted Owl Cultist just yet.

Is the unit determined when I get the Soul, or when I use the Soul on the Book?

It's an important question. Say I have one of every unit currently available already (or more likely one of each unit I actually want).
    There's no reason to use further Souls, so one might think they could stockpile them for future unit releases. And if the unit is determined when it's dropped in the book, that's a possibility.
    But if it's determined when I get the Soul, then there's no reason to stockpile because all of those Souls are already determined to not contain the (hypothetical) new units.

This is really key when it comes to the Trooper purchased souls. You can only buy one a week, and stockpiling points doesn't really gain you much once you have enough to buy everything as soon as it locks.

OS
    Android
    I'd like to know the answer to that too (third week in a row my gunner/assassin soul that I ground troopers all week for has dropped a tin hat soldier)

OS
    Android
    Very, very good question... We need Lamia here.
    Tell me why I had to be a Powerslave, I don't wanna die, I'm a god why can't I live on!

Champions: Soldier Eddie (Lvl. 100), Assassin Possessed Mine (Lvl. 100), The Nomad (almost lvl. 100)

RisenOsiris-7856

OS
    Android
    Interesting question!

Behavior I've noticed: When I've dropped Souls into the Book, seen the newly-unlocked Characters, and then the game crashed, after restarting the game I received exactly the same Characters in the exact same order when dropping the Souls into the Book all over again. I've seen this behavior a few times.

I'm inclined to believe that a Soul has its Character set when the Soul is created, not when it is dropped into the Book. From a game balance/design perspective, doing this would prevent the obvious cheat of unlocking the Soul then restarting the game in order to reset the Soul before it's saved and give you another chance at a more valuable Character.

Quote Originally Posted by Fudjo View Post
    Interesting question!

Behavior I've noticed: When I've dropped Souls into the Book, seen the newly-unlocked Characters, and then the game crashed, after restarting the game I received exactly the same Characters in the exact same order when dropping the Souls into the Book all over again. I've seen this behavior a few times.

I'm inclined to believe that a Soul has its Character set when the Soul is created, not when it is dropped into the Book. From a game balance/design perspective, doing this would prevent the obvious cheat of unlocking the Soul then restarting the game in order to reset the Soul before it's saved and give you another chance at a more valuable Character.
    Probably this.

OS
    iOS
    Like Fudjo, I had the same thing happen to me when I beat NOTB on madness and got my legendary soul. Turned it in and got crap Angel. Game crashed, reloaded and still had the soul. Turned it in and got same Angel. If we have no other way to prove different then I would put my belief that the RNG of the characters are already determined when you get the soul and NOT when you use the book. The book simply unlocks the character.

I've tested the connections upon each action and the game will require server input when you use a soul.

Hence my opinion is that once you uses a soul, the server will release the data and peg it to your account so even when your game crashed, they will release the same data pegged to your account.
    Last edited by Kaijester; 08-03-2016 at 01:41 PM.

Below answer from game team:

They're definitely not predefined.

Of note, as soon as a character is summoned it's locked to that soul/account. So if you summon then the game crashes and you lose the character but re-gain the soul, summoning the soul again will result in the same character.
    Last edited by Lamia; 08-03-2016 at 11:43 PM. Reason: fixed typo

OS
    Android
    Thanks Kajester (and typo fixer Lamia)

Kaijester*

...did i earn the title of typo fixer too?