Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Introducing LOTB’s Senior Designer + Upcoming Tuning Discussion (Preliminary)

The full release patch notes thread is now up: October 2016 Tuning Update.

Hi everyone! I’m Sparton, senior designer on LOTB.

Quick bio for me: I’m a gamer of nearly every kind you can think of, and I’ve been professionally doing game design for 8 years. All of my previous work has been mobile stuff, so designing for this space is something I’m intimately familiar with (The Walking Dead: Road to Survival, Knights & Dragons, Implode!, Zombie Attack!, and many more).

I’m a big numbers guy. Balancing long-term progression, finding interesting strategies and synergies, and all that other good stuff is what I love working on, which is why I’m now driving much of the tuning and rebalancing in concert with Kaz. We wanted to do this post to help communicate how (and why) we’re adjusting the game based on your feedback and play patterns, so please post your thoughts/concerns in this thread based on what we’ve started, as there’s always room to improve things more.

Campaign Reward Adjustments

The campaign is the first game mode players will have access to, and one that players can consistently access. Our intent is that this is where we want players to primarily gain experience (for both player rank and character levels), gain gold, and gain materials for leveling up and evolving talismans.

As the campaign is the consistent mode everyone starts with can access, we wanted to ensure new players stood a fair chance. Those who aren’t strong enough to have access to all of the worlds and most of the difficulty levels shouldn’t have a hard time improving and evolving characters and talismans, which is why we settled on each world having two colours they focus on. This choice allows players looking for a specific colour to 1) know what world you must go to, and 2) to access harder difficulties to improve the odds and star value of drops. Just keep in mind that you’ll still get lower rarity evo materials even on Madness (although they’ll be not as common as the 3 star ones for that world).

Because we have the 3 star coloured evo runes dropping as early as Kingdom of the Sands Madness, we have the 3 star colourless runes dropping based on overall progression. We still want the same general progression for new players coming in, so to evolve characters and talismans to 4 stars/5 stars, you’ll still need to get to roughly the same place in campaign progression as before. Do keep in mind that other than getting lucky at secret locations, 3 star coloured evo shards are still intended to be found in the Lord of Light dungeons.

Finally, for talismans, we wanted to drastically simplify how many talismans drop and where they drop for three reasons:

• We wanted the earlier worlds to focus on more of the “bread and butter” kinds of talismans which are easier to understand and use well in the early game
    • We wanted farmable talismans to be easier to get
    • We wanted to start setting aside certain talismans as rewards/purchasables for upcoming content (PVP, Brave New World, etc)

Time Rift Reward Adjustments

While the campaign’s main focus is on XP, gold, and improving talismans, the Lord of Light dungeons are focused on evolving (ie evo shards), as well as getting new characters (ie souls).

While we still don’t want to be commonly dropping 2 and 3 star evo shards even on floor 10, we definitely recognize that the amount of times the average player will try to clear battles per day is much lower than anticipated. Therefore, we have done a few key things to help make this more approachable to all players:

• 2 star coloured evo shards are more frequently dropped in floors 4-6
    • 3 star coloured evo shards are more frequently dropped on floors 7-9
    • 3 star coloured evo shards are substantially more frequently dropped on floor 10
    • In all floors and for all star rarities, colourless evo shards are slightly more common than coloured evo shards

In conjunction with 3 star colourless evo shards being dropped in the late game of the campaign, we hope this will make getting the necessary materials for evolving characters to 5 star much more palpable.

One last note: while we do still want to give players Souls and Rare Souls from this feature (which will be really helpful when Sacrifice becomes available [bit of info about that here]), we have reduced the rate that they drop to balance the value of dungeons vs using Troopers.

Character Tuning

This has primarily been spearheaded by Kaz, but is nonetheless something that all developers on the team contribute to, and we do also keep an eye out for what is being talked about on the forum. Sometimes, we notice things that aren’t working as intended (either the effect is not working right or the effect isn’t doing what we originally planned). Other times, it’s just changing skills, fury attacks, or passives so that they’ll allow the character to better perform in certain game modes (including the upcoming PVP).

Overall, there is a substantial amount of small changes coming through. The main motivation is to get as many characters and loadouts as viable as possible for PVP. We believe a robust and varied ecosystem will be key for that feature to be interesting and to continue to have its metagame evolve organically over time. In some cases, there are nerfs coming through (especially if we spot some really degenerate combos), but for the most part we want PVP to be a place where all kinds of strategies can succeed, even if only in certain scenarios.

To see the specific changes that are coming, check out the separate Upcoming Character Tuning post.

Sorry for the novelette-length post. We really wanted to make sure, with this large tuning pass, that we’re as open with you guys as possible. Additionally, we also want to take the opportunity to allow the community to provide feedback before the changes go live, so we have the opportunity to potentially do some last minute changes. We don’t have an exact date for this yet, but we expect to have these changes live within the next few weeks.
    Last edited by Sparton_LOTB; 10-14-2016 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Linking to up-to-date notes

OS
    iOS
    Thanks for the info. Sounds like things are moving in the right direction. The random farming is horribly tedious. You can farm for a week and get every color but the one you need. I'm glad you realize this and are working to improve it.
    MrFreeze-6530

OS
    Android
    Thanks for the info indeed, finally
    _______ 💀 Tom-7714 💀 ___________

___________ | CLAN | __________

👹 The Mofo Cult 👹

Thanks Sparton!

Here's one for your consideration, the Prisoner has a very awesome passive but his basic attack deals magic attack while his power ability deals physical attack. thus I'm finding it hard for him to deal decent damage at Lv100 either Magic or Attack stats up.

So do consider changing his basic attack to physical attack instead.
    Last edited by Kaijester; 09-27-2016 at 02:07 AM.

OS
    iOS
    This is great thank you. The main thing I'm concerned about is the reduction of rare souls from time rift dungeons.

Where do we get them then? Only ironite? Rare souls seem to be yielding fewer premium characters so reducing them seems like it will be much harder to get new ones.

This is tough to swallow right now at end game when the hope of a new character is one of the motivations to keep farming.

I like a lot of the other things I'm hearing and appreciate the thoroughness of your post.

Finally something is coming along nicely. I believe i speak for most of us when I say thank you for the information, this us what we've been asking for. To know that something is being done and that the game has a great future

OS
    Android
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparton_LOTB View Post
    Sorry for the novelette-length post. We really wanted to make sure, with this large tuning pass, that we’re as open with you guys as possible. A
    No sorry needed, it's convinced me to invest more of my time in what you're helping to develop.

Rare soul drop rate reduced to balance the value of dungeons vs using Trooper. Does that means a lot of players are farming LOL dungeons and neglect the use of Champion Trooper?

How does reducing the drop rate help?

Personally I will ensure that the 50 Champion Troopers are used daily while I farm the dungeons as much as I can.
    Last edited by Kaijester; 09-27-2016 at 03:08 AM.

OS
    Android
    I think they want us to use trooper souls more. Which I would do if I didn't get a harpy everytime.
    Thursty-1116

OS
    Android
    (in reply to thread http://forum.ironmaidenlegacy.com/sh...aracter-Tuning click to see the pics of changes I'm discussing)

Sweet, a well thought-out tuning consideration.

I'd just throw in I figured a 50-33% reflect all change would be nice with a cost adjustment (raise) put in with it, but then again I don't have access to the database regarding how all battles have worked out regarding that.

I do hope that will be paid attention to....although I stopped using allied soldier when it was triggering issues in battle, I still have it in my toolbox to from time-to-time to solve puzzles in particular single player battles.

If using reflect all were more limited by the cost, the skill could be kept (at less than 50% of course) yet not used as a total game changer overall.

Something that can counter and punish a high true damage hitter is very useful to have at times as can be seen with time rift revenge punishments as an example.

I'm just throwing this in there....I'm very happy with what I can see with the adjustments, I'm just suggesting a specific awareness to how one change plays out over time in the future....the others appear to be also well thought out so Kudos to those doing this